Diesel Power mag to test MTW vs. Elite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Can someone restate what turbos were tested? Is it a stage 1 or a modded powermax that Adrian built to test? Surely the stage 1 didn't make less power? Or did it?

OP states its a mtw billet powermax

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

NathannialD

Reaction score
If you guys want to keep running in circles about this there were no track times between the mtw turbo and ours the reason is they tried to run the mtw turbo and the track and they couldn't even get it to spool so they gave up at the track.

On the street the truck always hazed, with our turbo it was smoke free.

poorboy1964

Reaction score
If you guys want to keep running in circles about this there were no track times between the mtw turbo and ours the reason is they tried to run the mtw turbo and the track and they couldn't even get it to spool so they gave up at the track.

On the street the truck always hazed, with our turbo it was smoke free.

Dude you were winning before you responded back, this is where you stay away and let the kids argue,
I admit I know **** about turbos am only here to learn, there is a lot of negativity for both companies across the forums on bad customer service.
What you admit above is there was no comparison because the other turbo was junk so at this point I still don't know haw good yours is.

NathannialD

Reaction score
i was just given the info we were given from diesel power, and posted it up. Its not like this is the first time we have proven our turbos make more power, to date there is no stock housing turbo setup that comes close to the power numbers our drop in turbos put down.

how much should tuning be changed for turbos that run the same size comp wheels? If it takes a ton of tuning to make it driveable then so be it but our turbo did very well with the tuning on the truck and so did the powermax.

I think this is becoming something that it wasnt meant to, all that was meant to become of it was to show we make 6.0 turbos that make good power and in this case more than the competition.

Im outta here.

swinky

Reaction score
Stupid comparison, nobody would buy a new turbo without getting revised tunes (exactly what dp did) if any of you take this comparison to heart you're an idiot. Once dp releases all of the info we'll be able to make a conclusion, until then I'll stay open minded.

Of course customer service wasn't mentioned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

01PSD

Reaction score
Stupid comparison, nobody would buy a new turbo without getting revised tunes (exactly what dp did) if any of you take this comparison to heart you're an idiot. Once dp releases all of the info we'll be able to make a conclusion, until then I'll stay open minded.

You apologize then come back with this? :doh: give it a rest man

snafu

Reaction score
This isn't the only side by side dyno comparison that has proven the hybrid makes less power than an out of the box powermax. Php saw similar results. Let me see if I can find them.

poorboy1964

Reaction score
i was just given the info we were given from diesel power, and posted it up. Its not like this is the first time we have proven our turbos make more power, to date there is no stock housing turbo setup that comes close to the power numbers our drop in turbos put down.

how much should tuning be changed for turbos that run the same size comp wheels? If it takes a ton of tuning to make it driveable then so be it but our turbo did very well with the tuning on the truck and so did the powermax.

I think this is becoming something that it wasnt meant to, all that was meant to become of it was to show we make 6.0 turbos that make good power and in this case more than the competition.

Im outta here.

Thanks for the reply everything you said here is true and said in a professional manner. I really am looking for a turbo, now I will look into your more, I agree this is a joke at this point, I hate to see a vender fall into the trash talk, unless you need to defend yourself.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
So, since the hundred some odd posts talking about how, MTW owned up to their inferior product and pulled it off the line until it does what they want it to, have been completely ignored...

Tell me what y'all are trying to accomplish with all this crap?

Seriously... The owner/designer isn't arguing at all.

So why is everybody else?

onebadcoastie

Reaction score
This isn't the only side by side dyno comparison that has proven the hybrid makes less power than an out of the box powermax. Php saw similar results. Let me see if I can find them.

I'm pretty sure PHP only tested the MTW billet wheel, not the Hybrid turbo.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Stupid comparison

It's actually a very accurate comparison. Same size wheels, same frame, same truck, same weather conditions, same dyno, same day, same operator, same brown streaks in the camera guys underwear. How much more condition perfect could the test have been, I'm curious? You're talking like it was flawed or skewed, maybe you even believe DP Mag sabotaged turbos, I don't know. From where I'm sitting, as a shop owner who manufactures performance parts, I'd be tickled to have testing done under those controls.

nobody would buy a new turbo without getting revised tunes (exactly what dp did)

Say what? Customers of mine never have to run custom tuning for drop-in turbos. I never have. I wouldn't even think of selling anything that required "special tuning" because it throws a red flag and 9 times out of 10 kills the buyers interest in a product. Why? Because it isn't user friendly at that point. It screams "headache". I've sold several Elite turbos and I've never had a single complaint or request for tuning to achieve maximum operation potential. I've sold box stock Powermax turbos too, and I've never had anybody call back with a the need of a tuning change because of their purchase choice. If you need more examples of trucks that perform well with bolt ons, I can put a list together.

As far as what DP mag did, why would they ever consider tuning changes past canned tunes or stock files for a drop-in/bolt-on tech article? Their reader base is 80% non-forum members who like tinkering and love simple, bolt-on, heavy hitting HP mods. They did exactly what the people buying their magazine would do and wants to do. Wise editorial decision

if any of you take this comparison to heart you're an idiot.

Honestly, I think you should consider your own advice. You're the only guy in here screaming about testing results. Everything available has been posted besides maybe some minute data gathered during drives. Which honestly is irrelevant considering the broad HP gap seen between the MTW turbo and the Powermax, as well as the Elite turbo. Maybe you care about what EGT's were while being down 70hp, but I don't. Neither does anybody else.

Once dp releases all of the info we'll be able to make a conclusion, until then I'll stay open minded.

Stay open minded all you want. The DP Mag article isn't gonna show results any different then what you see here. if you need to read it in a article from McGlothlin to believe it to be true, then by all means don't let anybody stop you. As far as I know, Adrian asked DP Mag not to print the results of his turbo performance. So the only place you'll see what it's really worth is gonna be here, what you're reading now.... 70hp shy of Elite, 20hp shy of the box stock Powermax

I'm not sure what that has to do with turbo testing or this thread? I'm assuming your just trying to be lippy and take pot shots at elite because you don't like what you are reading. That's fine, but you'd be a moron if you think MTW doesn't have it's looooong list of unsatisfied, disgruntled, and unimpressed customers. Does Elite have a track record for bad customer service? Yeah, they did once upon a time. Do they now? No, not at all. Thats what matters.

I just gotta point something out since nobody is noticing whats going on. The more you MTW people sling mud and jaw jack about Elite, the worse, and worse you make adrian look. IMO, this thread should have been dead in the water right after Adrian made his post. He see's where he needs to make changes, aknowledged he wasn't happy with the results and said he's on top of it to get something back to market that kicks ass. What more could you ask for? What more do you need to know about testing, or data, to understand that he lost, he knows it, he's working on it.

And to the guy who said Elite needed to stay out of this thread, please take a look at all of Elite's posts and notice the respect paid to Adrian where no results were released on his product. That speaks volumes to me. Only reason you guys even know test results is because MTW released them to the public to halt the speculation.

I'm absolutely floored that for once, a dyno comparison takes place in the most controlled testing environment possible, where results couldn't be any truer, and it's not being accepted because Elite is involved. Unreal

01PSD

Reaction score
Basically what everyone has wanted to say Steve LOL Adrian probably wouldn't enjoy seeing what's happening here.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I have always thought that the 05 turbine wheel was a bad idea and I'm pretty sure that although the spoolup and mid range might make it more responsive, you can't get around the fact that no matter how you tune it, the turbine wheel becomes a restriction at anything much over 420-430HP or so.

Vizsla

Reaction score
so buy an MTW that might work, or buy an Elite turbo that has been proven to work..........., what should I purchase?

01PSD

Reaction score
You won't get the MTW hybrid, because it isn't available anymore. At least that's my understanding.

onebadcoastie

Reaction score
so buy an MTW that might work, or buy an Elite turbo that has been proven to work..........., what should I purchase?

Sure, if the extra "70 hp" is worth the extra $700.

You won't get the MTW hybrid, because it isn't available anymore. At least that's my understanding.

That is correct.

Also, this begs for question and again, this is purely discussion, not me advocating for MTW, but MTW doesn't offer the 10-blade turbine in the Hybrid unless it's specifically requested. If the Hybrid he provided for the test didn't have the 10 blade turbine, than the turbos weren't equal. Also, I'd bet the turbine size he had in the Hybrid wasn't the 72/70 as Elite's SSX (that info I got from their page). Are they really the same.

This type of information is what's missing, along with the torque numbers.

Last edited:

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Sure, if the extra "70 hp" is worth the extra $700.

That is correct.

Also, this begs for question and again, this is purely discussion, not me advocating for MTW, but MTW doesn't offer the 10-blade turbine in the Hybrid unless it's specifically requested. If the Hybrid he provided for the test didn't have the 10 blade turbine, than the turbos weren't equal. Also, I'd bet the turbine size he had in the Hybrid wasn't the 72/70 as Elite's SSX (that info I got from their page). Are they really the same.

This type of information is what's missing, along with the torque numbers.

Since Adrian called DP mag and asked them to be a part of the testing DP mag was doing, it would have been his choice what he provided. If he chose to provide something that was unmatched, inadequate or subpar performing, then he is to blame and he is an idiot.

Do you guys not see how each and every post trying to defy the information gathered only makes Adrian look worse? You're gonna end up running his business into the dirt and he's not even apart of it.

And just to kill the price tag war hunt that I see is coming, Adrian's turbo cost more then a box stock power max. It still didn't outperform that. Your argument is flawed, heavily.

Like I said, you guys keep it up if you want, but MTW is taking the hit. If you are fine with that, then carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online