Diesel Power mag to test MTW vs. Elite

Status
Not open for further replies.

01PSD

Reaction score
Yeah saw that earlier, interested to see how the revised SSX performs with different setups.

Dirty_Stroke

Reaction score
Is the turbine wheel the only differences in the MTW and the Elite? I also notice the Elite says .90 A/R and supposedly the hybrid has a .58 (although mine has .90 stamped into it)
That's insane 70hp!

peixinho

Reaction score
I believe it was different comp and turbine wheels with all the same A/R

onebadcoastie

Reaction score
fwiw I'm going to throw this out there; I have a Hybrid and I like it. It wasn't what I wanted and it wasn't what I paid for but it works well. I had some surging issues that were tune related and Matt adjuted the tunes for me. occasionally surges still but nothing worth bothering Matt over in my opinion. The turbo is strong and spools like a stock turbo until it lights, then it's over and the truck is gone. Right now I have fuel pulled from my tunes at my request. I've hit 40psi with my Hybrid as well. I'm currently am in the process of swapping out turbines on it with an '03 turbine wheel/housing but thus far I'm pleased with the turbo. the turbine swap will also be in conjunction with an intake manifold swap so the results won't really be comparable but oh well.

onebadcoastie

Reaction score
Dyno numbers without track times to back it up don't mean anything really. I mean sure, Elite's turbo makes more "dyno" hp than the competitors. So what. Take those same trucks to the track. If Dieselpower didn't run those at the track, I have to say I'm surprised.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Is the turbine wheel the only differences in the MTW and the Elite? I also notice the Elite says .90 A/R and supposedly the hybrid has a .58 (although mine has .90 stamped into it)
That's insane 70hp!
They both use the .58A/R which is the compressor cover...and both use the factory turbine housing which is .90A/R

Reaction score
Dyno numbers without track times to back it up don't mean anything really. I mean sure, Elite's turbo makes more "dyno" hp than the competitors. So what. Take those same trucks to the track. If Dieselpower didn't run those at the track, I have to say I'm surprised.

So dynoing the truck on the same day under the same conditions with only switching turbos isn't a fair comparison? News to me. I guess that 70hp in a controlled environment wouldn't make a difference worth comparing? You guys seem to bee a little far fetched. Track time will not tell a whole lot different. A dyno graph comparison would tell way more than any time slip. I doubt a 70hp loss would translate into a gain over the overs at the strip.

swinky

Reaction score
So dynoing the truck on the same day under the same conditions with only switching turbos isn't a fair comparison? News to me. I guess that 70hp in a controlled environment wouldn't make a difference worth comparing? You guys seem to bee a little far fetched. Track time will not tell a whole lot different. A dyno graph comparison would tell way more than any time slip. I doubt a 70hp loss would translate into a gain over the overs at the strip.

I haven't heard tq numbers. I'm sure the elite turbo would out perform at the track but trap speed and a graph would be nice. Egts also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
I thinks it's rather hilarious that "HeavyAssault" just dropped out of the convorsation when Adrian chimed in. He gave a Jab, then booked it... I had an expierience with this "HeavyAssault" guy over on the "Nation", actually he is the reason I joined PSA, and ditched the Nation, so I guess I should thank him. LOL LOL

I admire Addians work, I have not followed it as closely as others, but to be side by side with a big company like Elite (whose customer service doesn't win any award in my experience), that's pretty damn respectable. Good work bro! Keep it up!

I too agree, track times are as important as dyno graph's.

Last edited:

peixinho

Reaction score
Well i agree that track times would be nice. But does not mean the hp numbers don't mean anything.

I personally would love to see the actual dyno graph. See how much torque was made. How quick the power came on.

I know Adrian shoots for a quick spooling turbo and the two wheels he used are very quick spooling.

Maybe one is more streetable? Maybe one does better at the track? Maybe one has better hp. It is hard to just say one is the king when all you hear are the difference in dyno numbers. Not even the actual number but just the difference.

Not picking any fights, or picking any sides. Just hope we get to see the dyno charts some day and maybe a review on how each turbo drives.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I think people are making something out of nothing at this point.

Dude came in here, admitted the turbo wasn't doing what he wanted it to, and said he was working on it.

That's about all there is to say.

onebadcoastie

Reaction score

You make an excellent point but there are still many variables. As mentioned, no torque numbers were given. So say the MTW turbo made 70 hp less than Elites, who's to say the MTW turbo didn't yield a higher torque rating? Who's to say it didn't flow more as Adrian claims his turbo would.

So I will say controlled dynos are good starting points but track times are the best way to evaluate hp/tq. The hp differences, were those averages between the two trucks. I mean did they run the truck multiple times to come up with an average for each turbo? Like I said, you make an extremely valid point in regards to the controlled environment but as of now, there are many details left out. Elite's SSX is $700 more than the Hybrid and I didn't pay the list price for my Hybrid so I wouldn't consider the cost difference worth the gain, but others might. This isn't a pissing match (well except for Heavy Assault who hates Adrian's product yet never ran one), this is just a discussion between the products.

RescueF250

Reaction score
I thinks it's rather hilarious that "HeavyAssault" just dropped out of the convorsation when Adrian chimed in. He gave a Jab, then booked it... I had an expierience with this "HeavyAssault" guy over on the "Nation", actually he is the reason I joined PSA, and ditched the Nation, so I guess I should thank him. LOL LOL

I admire Addians work, I have not followed it as closely as others, but to be side by side with a big company like Elite (whose customer service doesn't win any award in my experience), that's pretty damn respectable. Good work bro! Keep it up!

I too agree, track times are as important as dyno graph's.

He is vocal about his opinions that he's in titled to free county.

I have my opinions as well about all different things about various products across the board in every aspect not just turbo, but something proven is better then hype or band wagon people jump praising a product. Your always gonna hear the good things about a product and never the bad. Someone has to have the balls to say it and stand behind it, duh we all know that, but your average joe isnt gonna know a whole a lot either but if something failed on someones build and they have a wealth of knowledge guess what people will be called out on it. One side complains oh show me dyno numbers, oh no that's junk show me track numbers. How about both and show me a legit compressor map done on whos ever turbo built by whoever this will truly show you which flows more air at its efficient range. Not an AIR CHUCK to the compressor wheel :rolleyes: mine flows better as you can hear. . Also have the correct compressor vs turbine side plays a big roll Im not gonna argue with people over things that are common sense that's my soap box the Drama lately on these forums has gotten stupid compare to back in the day to me just a waste of my time convincing other wise.

Last edited:

NathannialD

Reaction score

I always laugh when i read this, we are not a big company. fewer employees than you would ever guess.....

on another note, you dont think 70hp on the same dyno, same truck, same day while using very similar sized comp wheels (although our wheel is smaller) are concrete results???

swinky

Reaction score
I always laugh when i read this, we are not a big company. fewer employees than you would ever guess.....

on another note, you dont think 70hp on the same dyno, same truck, same day while using very similar sized comp wheels (although our wheel is smaller) are concrete results???

Nope, I want track times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.