Diesel site pump vs dual pumps

swinky

Reaction score
Alright guys well I'm pretty sure my pump is toast.

Made a pass yesterday with oil temp around 190 and went 12.2. Then made a pass with oil temp at 220 and went 12.6 and losing 4mph. Ran it at 1/2 throttle this morning when oil temp was 100 degrees and saw 3.2v icp, I didn't even see that much going down the track yesterday.

Now the real question. Should I put a dieselsite pump in it or just replace the factory pump then go dual pumps later?
I'm leaning towards putting a factory pump in it because money is tight (truck needs tires, turbo pushing oil) I'm only running 190/75s.

Truck always hot starts great so I don't think this is a traditional hpo leak, oil has 1k miles on it 15-40 motorcraft.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I never had it oil tested but it always seemed like the motor craft oil broke down fairly quick after I started to modify my obs more which is running less pressure vs a 6.0. The t500 seamed to shear the oil vs the stock pump and injectors is when I noticed it more.

You may benefit from going to a synthetic or another brand dino oil. Worth a shot before you change a pump.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

strokin6L

Reaction score
Are you gonna change to the 05+ high pressure oil system if you go dual pumps? If you don't how do you plan on running dual pumps with the 03-early 04 high pressure system? I know its been done two different ways....just curious.

Last edited:

swinky

Reaction score
Are you gonna change to the 05+ high pressure oil system if you go dual pumps? If you don't how do you plan on running dual pumps with the 03-early 04 high pressure system? I know its been done two different ways....just curious.
I'm sticking with the 03 system. I'll run the Warren kit identical to Charlies
I never had it oil tested but it always seemed like the motor craft oil broke down fairly quick after I started to modify my obs more which is running less pressure vs a 6.0. The t500 seamed to shear the oil vs the stock pump and injectors is when I noticed it more.

You may benefit from going to a synthetic or another brand dino oil. Worth a shot before you change a pump.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
I'll give it a shot. I think the pump is weak and once the oil shears just a little pressure drops. Changing oil every 1k miles is getting old.

strokin6L

Reaction score
All I know is when he added the dual pumps to his '03 pulling truck, he had to feed the port in the HPOP cover cause there was no other way to do it. But I know Adam Janz with his '03...ended up modifying his valve covers and oil rails so that he could feed the end of the oil rails. Adam had a little issue with some oil leaking out the valve covers I think and had to silicon it up.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Damn I see where you're Going with this. I think you're right.

Yep. You're pretty much stuck upgrading to the 05+ setup to run dual pumps (or run a RCD thumper), or just go with the early style diesel site pump.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Jared...talk to Jesse and maybe even talk to Nate at WPE. I saw that WPE has a listing on the website for 03-04 trucks. Worth a shot at least to see what they say.

swinky

Reaction score
Jared...talk to Jesse and maybe even talk to Nate at WPE. I saw that WPE has a listing on the website for 03-04 trucks. Worth a shot at least to see what they say.
Will do. The truck will hopefully be retired from dd duties in the near future.

JGman141

Reaction score
I run a dual pump set up on mine from warren, feeds into the test port in the hpop cover.

JGman141

Reaction score
Makes a big difference when you get up high in the rpm, and yes it draws from the pan. I did have to modify the cac tube in order to fit over the dual pump set up. Don't have any pictures of the set up

strokin6L

Reaction score
Makes a big difference when you get up high in the rpm, and yes it draws from the pan. I did have to modify the cac tube in order to fit over the dual pump set up. Don't have any pictures of the set up

Is your truck an early '04 like mine or late '04? Only reason I ask is because the '03-early 04's have the A/C line going over the top of the CAC tube. Did that become an issue when installing? Here's a pic of mine with the A/C line going over the top of the CAC tube.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 90

strokin6L

Reaction score
Few guys mentioned on Facebook today how the dual pump kits have been plugging the IPR screen with metal shavings. I believe one guy had to pull the IPR out twice within a month to clean it because truck was running like crap. And I believe Charlie from KC Turbo was having same issue with metal shavings....and was cleaning his IPR like every week or every other. Not something I would like to be seeing especially if it was a freshly built motor!

Last edited:

MorganY

Reaction score
Mine had oil issues as well. I had to change oil every 2500 miles. Strokin6l, it's possible to fit a pump setup under your hood. You'll just have to move it elsewhere.

Duals are reliable in a DD as long as your not feeding the pumps with positive pressure. Otherwise you're going to push oil past the lip seal, or out of the drain back valve.

Be careful to not starve the low side of the oil system. I thrashed bearings and wiped out my motor because of low oil pressure under wot.

Latest posts

Members online