Differences in 2008-2010

Dslfumes

Reaction score
My 7.3L is up for sale and I am currently searching for a 6.4L. I've already ordered an EGR delete, exhaust and a tuner. Before I decide on a truck I would like to know the differences in the years if there is any.
I am being picky in my search i.e;
King Ranch or all black leather interior
Preferably not white & absolutely not tan or red
Short bed
Sliding back glass
Less than 60k miles
2wd or 4wd doesn't matter
And under $32k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Dzchey21

Reaction score
you should be able to hit that price pretty easy

2008-2009 you could get a 3.73 gear option
2010 you could only get 3.55 and lower gears

Not allot of differences in the years really, pretty much all made the same, some little changes like coolant hoses to the degas bottle ect.

They did add more features closer to 2010 like sync ect
I think they also added traction control and a few other creature comforts

Dslfumes

Reaction score
3:55 gears would be nice as I don't tow anything really heavy and the Ford sync would be nice as well. All of that is not enough for me to quit looking at '08-'09's though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

VanoFord

Reaction score
it might be hard to find an 08-09 w/ that low of mileage & price. i did pick up my 08 w/ 82k for under $30k back in November. 80k didnt seem that bad to me, and I think it was gently used so I was sold. has the tan interior, but I can always get new leather...

its 350 4x lariat LB fyi. if you are gonna look at a dealer to get you a truck, I got an honest, a REAL honest, salesman at Tomball Ford that will treat you right.

RedRice589

Reaction score
I would definitely stay with the 3.55's past that they all seem to be the same.... resale later would be nicer to have the '10....

AllanB

Reaction score
In 08-09 was 373 the option or standard, and you could choose the option of 355?

Dusty, was that degas bottle change a dealer recall, or you had to buy it from Ford? And what was it that it corrected? Is there a web site or something to go to so that you can see any and all dealer recalls?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
It was more how the hoses were routed. There were some updates on the hoses so the 08 trucks had caps and tees in the lines where the newer trucks just hook up seamless. I think the Degas bottle is the exact same for all years

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Buddy I currently have a 08 with 160k on the clock. Currently watching AutoTrader in the Texas area. A 2wd with those miles and under 30k is easy to find. Between 30k and 35k is the sweet spot. I found a 08 in Houston with 18k miles on it for 32k. Someone bought it the day I called. Check AutoTrader and actually make an account. You can save trucks and truck searches on there. I think you can set up alerts as well.

Personally I am trying to get out of my wifes car, sell my truck, and put her in a 6.4 so I can finish my Fummins and drive it. My 6.4 runs and drives awesome, but its a loaded XL and she likes them with the nicer packages. Good luck in your search, it wont be hard to find, but you might have to make a sacrifice here and there depending on whats most important for you.

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
The degas bottles are not the same. My coolant full lines are much lower in the bottle and mine does not have that weird port on it like the 08s did.

AllanB

Reaction score
3:55 gears were an option for the 09 model year. 3:73 were standard gears until 10.

Yeah that is what I was thinking

It was more how the hoses were routed. There were some updates on the hoses so the 08 trucks had caps and tees in the lines where the newer trucks just hook up seamless. I think the Degas bottle is the exact same for all years

So this is not a dealer fix.I would really love to find a site that I could go see all the dealer upgrades. Freebies, I work international. So they might send me a mail telling me about an upgrade, But I might not ever see it.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Original, disgusting 6.4 Degas botttle + stock line setup w/ Venturi (not proper, supposed to cap top line);
89255-my-degas-bottle-looks-like-sheeeeet-df9ac9e1.jpg

Updated Ford Venturi T installed on this setup without the top line;
sizeimage.php

Updated coolant resv. (degas) bottle, only one nipple and lower they say;
house_106.jpg

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Also make sure to look for the updated coolant hoses as well as a replacement radiator, should be covered in other threads but the main coolant hoses you can see have been updated with white ends and dual o-rings inside those white ends, if you have black connectors to your radiator they are the old style hose and will eventually leak on you (most likely).

Some guys are still on stock radiators but most have been changed. The best right now would be a VistaPro upgrade with beefier end crimp design, if you can find the build date on your radiator or the invoices, you can see if you have the original. Normally radiator change is nothing to be worried about, except this truck it almost guarantee's a replacement and the radiator is $1000 + install.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Original, disgusting 6.4 Degas botttle + stock line setup w/ Venturi (not proper, supposed to cap top line);
89255-my-degas-bottle-looks-like-sheeeeet-df9ac9e1.jpg

Updated Ford Venturi T installed on this setup without the top line;
sizeimage.php

Updated coolant resv. (degas) bottle, only one nipple and lower they say;
house_106.jpg

THank you the only ones i have ever seen even some 2009 and i think i saw a 2010 with the tank just capped... good info

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
No problem, i ran into it once online and that's the only reason I know, I run the second picture with top line capped, no issues so far and that's how most trucks seem to be.

ncollins64 yes no problem, you don't really need the updated bottle unless yours is filthy, HG blew up and oil is in it, or broken. The updated lines are an almost must if you don't want to risk getting stranded somewhere, I had to do the radiator so while the rad was out I did all 3 lines for piece of mind. Next will be EGR Delete + Thermostats with the EGR out (much easier) then should take care of all the coolant issues until I get closer to the motor and can check out the front plate and water pump for cavitation (already have spare WP)

Here's VistaPro part #, I think I have pictures of the crimps somehwere, along with the hose part numbers you need if your doing a swap;
IMG-20120829-00138-sm.jpg

IMG-20120829-00139-sm.jpg

IMG-20120829-00140-sm.jpg

IMG-20120829-00141-sm.jpg

IMG-20120829-00142-sm.jpg

IMG-20120829-00144-sm.jpg

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Great info i think im going to stick this or move this to the library so people have a reference so we dont get too many more of these threads asking differences

Latest posts

Members online