DIY: HID Projector Retrofit Guide

gigabit

Reaction score
sorry for the lack of updates. busy life ;)

so i test fired both HIDs semi-tight on the truck and the cut off looks great. the lines are very defined and there's a nice color flicker and step.

IMG_1201_zps93e80913.jpg

IMG_1203_zpsa3f1905d.jpg

there's some horizontal alignment issues with both steps being closer than actual car head light width, so you can either try to swivel it horizontally or shave off the inside a tad. vice versa if the width is too wide at 25." i think it's more of an issue if the beam is too narrow tbh.

next, i needed to prep the shrouds and bowl for paint. either you can remove the chrome by sanding with multiple different grits or use a technique i found online... oven cleaner. it sprays on like apple sauce and you let it sit for 20 minutes. the chrome literally dissolves off the two surfaces. obviously the bowl is of higher quality and it'll require a second coat... easy peasy.

IMG_1270_zps2129f239.jpg

IMG_1275_zps676efdef.jpg

IMG_1274_zpsbb9218b0.jpg

the touchest part so far are the shrouds for the upper pseudo projectors. the space is so darn narrow and requires a lot of shroud cutting, individually too.

gigabit

Reaction score
i still have to mount the angel eyes to the shrouds as well. i am still debating if i want to wire up the 100 mm LED rings to the opening. I'm leaning towards "not" installing two layers of rings.

i will, however, be installing a 12" LED strip to act as DRL.

Last edited:

gigabit

Reaction score
Looks good, but man thats looks like lots of work lol. Can't a person buy those aftermarket already done like that?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

you can, but if you want a custom and instead of recon style then this is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Looks good, but man thats looks like lots of work lol. Can't a person buy those aftermarket already done like that?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

JD at Absolute Performance does them as does RPHC. Both are vendors here on the forums.

Not sure if this is allowed since they aren't vendors, but these guys are well known for retrofits outside of our little diesel world.

Lightwerkz

Black Flame Customs

HID Illusionz

LIGHTMODZ

travisH3

Reaction score
looks good, quick question on the oven cleaner. did you just use the oven cleaner and strip them down and paint. or did you use oven cleaner and then still scuff them up before painting? In the past all ive done is scuff the chrome up and clean it real well then paint but if the oven cleaner saves me all that sanding time ill be a happy camper lol

gigabit

Reaction score
looks good, quick question on the oven cleaner. did you just use the oven cleaner and strip them down and paint. or did you use oven cleaner and then still scuff them up before painting? In the past all ive done is scuff the chrome up and clean it real well then paint but if the oven cleaner saves me all that sanding time ill be a happy camper lol

the oven cleaner takes it down to the plastic and they are smooth. from other posts, primer was used and then paint. i havent painted them yet.

gigabit

Reaction score
new updates with the upper shroud shaved to shape and LED angel eye test mounting/firing...

D6A48489-6943-429A-A8E2-888940252580_zpsd31iwujy.jpg

474D3249-A206-456C-92C0-AFF1EF2F649C_zps4jorabzs.jpg

3364F345-2786-4382-B1A3-2A9B4372A46A_zpsa2qsncju.jpg

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Are those the newest generation xB angel eyes? They look way cleaner than the old versions with the yellow color they had. I might have to revisit adding them to my retrofit.

gigabit

Reaction score
Lookin good man.

thanks! this is hard work for a first time project. second time around will be much easier and faster.

i finally stripped all the chrome with one layer of oven cleaner. it takes about one can for a set of lights. i also went over it with a tooth brush to ensure all the nooks and cranny get layered.

i think im going to get ptm lights and flat black shrouds. i was debating getting everything white but im digging the black shroud look.

C243A0B9-80B4-4720-8208-1F56EE0F5F39_zpsqphwhzkw.jpg

601E65D1-245F-4A9E-853D-923BF9253BD2_zpsutzmoayl.jpg

HD F250

Reaction score
Very cool project, maybe this will be a winter project for my truck. Keep up the good work and posting good pics.

jcain

Reaction score
you can, but if you want a custom and instead of recon style then this is the way to go.

I had mine custom made well over a year ago, as have many others.

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_184554740406572.jpg
    IMG_184554740406572.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 581

gigabit

Reaction score
I had mine custom made well over a year ago, as have many others.

attachment.jpg

my purpose is to help those who would like to or do like to do things by themselves.

of course, money can always get you things faster.

zporta

Reaction score
great job man, if i had a different color i would probably take this project on.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
I read up on the Easy Off method of removing the chrome a few months ago and decided to try it on a set of Tahoe lights I am doing. Holy cow, that is WAY too easy! I will never go back to sanding again....literally sprayed in on and hosed it off 5 minutes later and not a spot of chrome left. Only place I can't use it is in certain areas around reflector bowls that I need to keep. No way I am going to trust tape to keep this stuff contained!

gigabit

Reaction score
yep, it's literally spray on and wash off. now all you need to do after that is use a grey pad to scuff and plastic adhesive spray prior to primer :D

travisH3

Reaction score
Ill have to pick up some oven cleaner then because that does sound wayyyyy to easy. got my mini d2s square projectors and everything wednesday from the retrofit source. then whem i looked in the box there was a paper saying the amber XB led strips are on backorder and wanted to do a little custom leds in there so thats gonna push my retro fit back. i called friday and they told me to call back tuesday because they didnt have an ETA on the leds yet.

for anyone interested the square d2s projectors are 20% off until end of may on TRS even on the full retrofit kit, i couldnt pass it up and these are even nicer than the mini h1 projectors. use coupon code XLENS20. they posted the sale on facebook last week i believe. but its only on the square lens(x lens) FYI

Latest posts