Don't hate me.....which turbo??

TARM

Reaction score
No way I can see how it moves more air that a GTX4294 from my experience and at least what another has logged that ran both on the same setup. I can see a standard journal bearing gt4294 as the best I saw from one with 200% was low 600s fuel only which was confirmed by track slip MPH. That was a pull off turbo out of a salvage yard if I recall so not too shabby.

Last edited:

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Just want to point out that I was always taught you always want to have a more capacity as than you can use. You do not want to bottom out the plunger ie empty the injector. More fuel capacity I do not see as a bad thing its whats called for that matters so too little is an issue but to much...not sure how that hurts anything.

As I eventually planned to go up to 400% when I got the build done and compounds I saw no reason not to get the full fuel capacity I could get right from the start even though 200% will never come close to using it.

I do understand your reasoning in your situation. But just because someone made this statement doesn't make it gospel. The problem is if "bottoming out the plunger". If this actually happens you have much bigger problems. As in you bought injectors from someone that has zero clue of what they are doing.

An obs truck runs less PW than is required to empty the stock AA injector. But guess what a chip does?
A stock SD runs less PW than is required to ever empty AD injector. But guess what happens when you add a chip. Hell you remember tunes that asked for 6+MS/PW. Guess what that did?
And they all would last for a few 100k miles if maintained properly.

A "properly" designed/constructed injector has no tighter tolerances than a stock injector.
Exact same scenario. So maybe we can put that propaganda to rest once and for all.

Tarm, please don't take this as picking on you. Miss-information is a pet peeve of mine. I would rather have it stated here one time than have to discuss it 30 times over the phone to customers.

TARM

Reaction score
No no worries did not take it that way at all. As I said that is what I was TOLD. Not what I KNOW. That is why I stated it in that specific way. But I never want to distribute questionable/incorrect information and I am always more than happy to be corrected in such a situation. I actually forget who told me this. I am not sure it was even an injector builder I know for a fact it was NOT Nate who built mine and it was years ago. But the idea made logical sense as it was described to me and up till now I do not think I have had anyone refute it. I would surmize for the same reasons I did not.

I will take you word on it unless someone can pop in and give a solid tech reason to refute it as that is a good point you mention about the longevity of said in injectors with chips and extreme PW settings and again I am far far from a pro as the internal workings and building of injectors. There are other reasons to have more fuel than is used in certain scenarios but that is a different horse so to speak and not at all what we are discussing here.

Unless it somehow hurts reliability or performance in some way ( again I am not a builder only have taken a few apart and put back together without ending up with extra parts when I was done LOL) I can not see no down side to having more fuel capacity on tap again this is not to nor does refute what you have already stated (I am also not speaking of gross over volume btw). Of course if there was added cost OK that is always something to consider.

Tim, do you see any issues with increased fuel capacity in terms of what I mention above? (Serious question BTW)

Last edited:

Magnum PD

Reaction score
We on here usually take advice from you Tarm. If that means anything.

TARM

Reaction score
Thanks and yes it does. Also a reason I try very hard to only give out info I am confident in its validity

Plimptonjr

Reaction score
I personally would take a journal bearing design over ball bearing for daily driving.

A ball bearing design has less rolling resistance due to lack of contact area. That means at any instant, loads are transmitted through a single point or few points, all depending on the design of the bearing.

A journal bearing has more contact area, may not be as snappy as a ball design because there is more contact area, but it has more load paths for distribution.

Kinda like laying on 1 single nail vs a bed of nails.

Unless it's on a race application, I would go journal. Just an opinion, not gospel LOL

smoker00

Reaction score
I also know of at least 2 accounts of a precision turbo exploding under less that extreme use in low hours. Not saying that they may not have been flukes but they were both 7.3 not that means anything in and of itself. But I do know after talking to garrett techs they are required to hold to what amounts to oem standard for duty life and hard use. They said they could get a good deal more performance from compressor wheels and what not if they did not have to be as durable. One specific area was in turning down the center area of the well to get more blade surface area but the issue was if you go thinner durability suffers. I know a fair bit about turbos tech but I am far from an expert so I am only regurgitating what they told me. I will say with what I do know it does make sense.

Not to mention when you look at the way people beat on 38r driving they over pressure and egts on a constant basis the track record is quite good. Everything will fail and has but overall there BB turbos sure seem to hold up to abuse.

I blew my 76mm precision about a year ago I was pushing it some what hard 55 to about 60 psi but I loved that turbo.. this is y I went with the GTX... and so far so good..I have a good amount of fuel and this GTX spools like a stock chipped truck with WAY MORE power..

For the OP
My recommendation would be (1) GTX4294 or (2)S467 and or(3) modded H2E

In that order just because I love the BB stuff But they are all super good turbos..In no way am I dogging any... It like mines better than yours just because its mine..lol

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Tim, do you see any issues with increased fuel capacity in terms of what I mention above? (Serious question BTW)

To be honest the larger the capacity the fuel side the more difficult it is to balance the set. A set of 160cc injectors spend very little time in the bench.

Now if you order a set of 300cc injectors from us, be assured no less than a dozen injectors were gone through to make this set just perfect.

Our testing parameters could fill another thread by it self so I wont get into that now.

For us its simple. Why build an injector, that can not empty if you don't need too. An injector core will show you its weakness the more you pump up the capacity.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I personally would take a journal bearing design over ball bearing for daily driving.

A ball bearing design has less rolling resistance due to lack of contact area. That means at any instant, loads are transmitted through a single point or few points, all depending on the design of the bearing.

A journal bearing has more contact area, may not be as snappy as a ball design because there is more contact area, but it has more load paths for distribution.

Kinda like laying on 1 single nail vs a bed of nails.

Unless it's on a race application, I would go journal. Just an opinion, not gospel LOL

No way bro. My 38r stood up to overfueling with 175/80s and was fine. In fact it could handle more. People have ran 250/200 through them and sustained for long periods. A stocker.barely handles good tuning.

Plimptonjr

Reaction score
No way bro. My 38r stood up to overfueling with 175/80s and was fine. In fact it could handle more. People have ran 250/200 through them and sustained for long periods. A stocker.barely handles good tuning.

I believe you! I'm just thinking, by the time folks put injectors or tunes on their trucks with stock turbos they have 120,000 miles on them; compared to a fresh ball bearing turbo.

Serious question, not being smarta**, but isn't the turbine housing different on a 38r anyways? Is it different to the tune of moving more air? (Larger than stock a/r) If that is the case, of coarse it can take more abuse: that's like blowing through a garden hose vs a straw(exaggerated but you get the point) which would result in less back pressure thus less load on the turbo shaft. I guess the whole point of my jibberjabber is I wouldn't discount running a journal bearing style. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online