EBPV Switch for Warm up

TyCorr

Reaction score
ebpv sure helps mine on warm up, especially while i was working in Minnesota and had to start the truck in -25* weather...... use it as a break too.. but then again ive bent 8 pushrods but i figured that was from over revs.

live life full throttle

Id say the extreme backpressure on the valve from using it.as a.brake. Have valve to piston contact?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Id say the extreme backpressure on the valve from using it.as a.brake. Have valve to piston contact?

more along the lines of 3800-4000 rpms. i dont use it that much for a break.. but yes, all 8 pistons have valve reliefs in them now and all are cracked.... its getting completely rebuilt now at mikes diesel performance here in michigan.

live life full throttle

littleredstroker

Reaction score
It was cold today. On first start up ebpv closes until motor is up to operating temp, then it opens.at least mine does, drove up the mountain which is about 5 miles of 6-7% grade switchbacks so she was good and toasty according to the scan gauge coolant temp was 205* and oil was 200* got to the top, left er running on high idle for 10 min or so to cool off and eot went to 150* coolant was 175* and stayed there for another 10 min with high idle on NO EBPV. When we got back, a few hours later, started er up, she ran WITH EBPV for 10 min and then valve opened , I checked temps and coolant was 195* eot was 180 and dropping after it opened until we left, then temps went back to up normal. Very obvious that it helps . Yes high idle warms it up, but not as much as with ebpv... If your temps never get below 30* I could see why you think it doesn't work. But at -10* It does.

sent while trying not to JJ My rods!!!!!!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea, cuz it never gets cold.here in IL. I agree that you see.much colder temps.

I dont.really have trouble.either way. Last winter my tstat was stuck open and my pile.still.warmed up.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I heard a while back someone say " anyone who is making any kinda hp doesn't have one" and that's all well and good. From that view point I can see its not worth it.

I remember in north Dakota it was -60* and had about a 40 mph head wind,
Couldnt keep the windows defrosted @ 65 on the highway, heater was blowing lukewarm ... Never seen a valve closed @ 65 but if it hadn't it would have been a long cold drive. Valve closed, got my heat ( mileage and power sucked ) but it kept me from having to pull over and stuff cardboard in front of the radiator on the side of the road

TyCorr

Reaction score
Why not.just run a coldfront.anyway? I would up there, ***k it. You bring up an interesting point about power and function. In that cold and extreme cold(hey, thats cold.as.fugg here :) ) id be looking forba 400hp tune. If you can block the front end and relieve yourself of that heinous contraption would you?

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Why not.just run a coldfront.anyway? I would up there, ***k it. You bring up an interesting point about power and function. In that cold and extreme cold(hey, thats cold.as.fugg here :) ) id be looking forba 400hp tune. If you can block the front end and relieve yourself of that heinous contraption would you?

Coors light box did fine, then I went back to Wyoming! -20* is about the coldest we see here for any amount of time and that's not cold enough to drop temps to the point that it closes at highway speeds. I'm not a fan of the looks of winterfronts, and at a idle I can't see a huge benifit, its nice having a truck start at 0 and be warm in 3 min. I've debated maybe getting a 1500 rpm high idle and gutting it, 1500 would maybe compensate for the lack of valve? Idk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I heard a while back someone say " anyone who is making any kinda hp doesn't have one" and that's all well and good. From that view point I can see its not worth it.

I remember in north Dakota it was -60* and had about a 40 mph head wind,
Couldnt keep the windows defrosted @ 65 on the highway, heater was blowing lukewarm ... Never seen a valve closed @ 65 but if it hadn't it would have been a long cold drive. Valve closed, got my heat ( mileage and power sucked ) but it kept me from having to pull over and stuff cardboard in front of the radiator on the side of the road

ive heard the same about not having it to make power but at what level does it start to hinder it?

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
When some a hole stole my exhaust and Ibhad to put that tiny ass outlet.back on my 38r it was spooling slower and egt's were about 150° higher! :eek:

Its all relative. On your truck Jake it'd make a pretty big difference,imo. Sounds better too, lol.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Coors light box did fine, then I went back to Wyoming! -20* is about the coldest we see here for any amount of time and that's not cold enough to drop temps to the point that it closes at highway speeds. I'm not a fan of the looks of winterfronts, and at a idle I can't see a huge benifit, its nice having a truck start at 0 and be warm in 3 min. I've debated maybe getting a 1500 rpm high idle and gutting it, 1500 would maybe compensate for the lack of valve? Idk

I have 1400. It warms it up pretty fast.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
When some a hole stole my exhaust and Ibhad to put that tiny ass outlet.back on my 38r it was spooling slower and egt's were about 150° higher! :eek:

Its all relative. On your truck Jake it'd make a pretty big difference,imo. Sounds better too, lol.

i always wondered if it would but i also was told that my setup was only good at a max of 450hp on beans dyno and after Johnathan was done tuning it did 492. thats why i was wondering at what point is it a restriction cuz by rights i shouldn't even be at that hp level now..

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Imagine the restriction the butterfly creates?! Not.to mention the size of.the outlet.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.