Engine won't fire

JD3020

Reaction score
Yeah, that was the 2nd thing i did.

Found some issues with the fuel pump, had a very slight leak on the pick-up hose, and it started sucking air. Got that fixed up and now the fuel system is good to go. After i charged the batteries the scanguage started working again while cranking, getting good voltage and RPM's now, ICP is still climbing up to 3kpsi.

Starting to wonder if its the PCM.

dmd

Reaction score
Was the chip taped in to make sure it was tight? or could it have come
loose? That can fry the PCM.

JD3020

Reaction score
Was the chip taped in to make sure it was tight? or could it have come
loose? That can fry the PCM.

No, chip was tight.

But i meant to type IDM. If the PCM was bad it wouldn't be acting perfectly, although the IDM doesn't seem to be bad as its buzzing the injectors fine. But something somewhere is keeping the injectors to fire. They've got fuel, and they've got oil, but no smoke.

Arisley

Reaction score
Got the fuel system mocked up, and by mocked up i'm powering the pump with a battery charger. LOL Haven't checked pressure yet but its got fuel to the engine. Still no fire.

One thing i did notice is that my voltage is around 10 or 10.5 before cranking, with the GP's on. Engine still turns over and shows 200rpm's, but then it starts slowing down and i lose the tach, or the tach starts bouncing. Scangauge isn't staying on either while cranking. Tried jumping it with our other truck but didn't seem to help much, gonna throw the charger on it and see what that does.

Bingo. There is your problem, First thing first, charge your batteries.

JD3020

Reaction score
Unplugged ICP and no change. The tuning calls for 3kpsi at cranking, and its hitting 3kpsi while cranking, so to me that means there's no issues on the HPO side.

I did charge the batteries, even jumped it with another truck and never fired. Unless there's an internal battery issue thats causing voltage to drop, its cranking at full speed.

Today i'm gonna try to dig into the wiring and see if there is an issue, and try to get my hands on an IDM to throw on. This is one of those situations where i'm kicking myself for not having a spare IDM. Or at the moment, not even having a working multimeter. :cursing:

JD3020

Reaction score
Try Just a SHOT of ether, I know its never a GOOD thing BUT see if it'll even cough off of it. Its worth a Shot...

I've thought about unhooking the GP's and trying some ether, we've tried WD-40 and get smoke but no fire. But i don't have any ether/starting fluid here so if i make a parts run i'll grab some to try it

JD3020

Reaction score
you are not putting enough gasoline on it to light it up..............

No ****, contemplated pushing it in the yard and roasting some marshmallows.

Ohmed out the 4 main IDM wires, all show very little to no resistance so theres no short between the PCM and the IDM. Up next is to make sure i've got good power to the IDM. Anything else i should check out while i've got the multimeter out and everything apart?

JD3020

Reaction score
Problem found, it was the IDM. Dug out the IDM that came in my truck and was half shorted out due to water. When i yanked it out of the i popped the cover off and threw on top of a shelf where its sat. Got it down, blew some of the cobwebs out and threw it on the truck. Took a couple seconds but it fired to life running on 4 cylinders.

Guess i'll have to tear the old one apart and see what happened, i think its an 01 or 02 that had low miles when i got a couple years ago. Guess i shoulda sent it to Swamps sooner...

JD3020

Reaction score
Find an idm yet? How far away are you from Owensville OH?

Not yet, currently at work trying to locate some metal and haven't looked for one. Our drive-thru was broken into around 1 this morning, so i was given the task of working on some security stuff. :cursing:

But i'm probably an hour from Owensville.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Not yet, currently at work trying to locate some metal and haven't looked for one. Our drive-thru was broken into around 1 this morning, so i was given the task of working on some security stuff. :cursing:

But i'm probably an hour from Owensville.

I got a buddy in Owensville. Big 7.3 guy...he may have one ill check.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.