Engine won't fire

JD3020

Reaction score
Well i got an IDM tonight, and she's purring like a kitten. Still shocked that it was an IDM as it seemed perfect, but thats how it goes. Maybe one of these days i'll get a spare and send it to Swamps so they can work their magic on it.

JD3020

Reaction score
Well, it struck again today. Been running perfect, no issues at all with it. Stopped at the farm to get stuff to spray sweet corn, so i shut her down. Ready to go so i went to start it back up, cranked but no start. Same exact issue as last time. This time i actually did have a spare IDM with me, so i threw it on. No change. Got pissed so i just left it in the middle of the driveway for a while.

I ended up going back and unhooking the batteries for a bit. Hooked em back up, and it fired right up like nothing happened. Drove 20 minutes home without an issue. What in the hell is going on?

JD3020

Reaction score
How are your battery connections? Corroded as hell? Im not saying thats THE issue, but could be AN issue

Nope, nice and clean.

And i forgot to mention that it threw a code after a buzz test, P1219 which is CID stuck low. That was before i swapped IDM's. All other buzz tests ran perfect, even on the first IDM.

ghohouston

Reaction score
At some point you messed with your chip right? Maybe it has a loose connection? And that code points to a bad connection at your idm plug or a loose/chaffed wire. Maybe pull the connector at idm back off and check all the pins etc

JD3020

Reaction score
At some point you messed with your chip right? Maybe it has a loose connection? And that code points to a bad connection at your idm plug or a loose/chaffed wire. Maybe pull the connector at idm back off and check all the pins etc

I'm always messing with the chip, i've got Minotaur so i'm constantly pulling it and making tweaks. But thats unrelated as both times now its done it with the chip in and out.

The wires appear to be good, i ohmed them last time and they all showed little to no resistance, even wiggled the harness around incase it was rubbed through and possibly grounding. All connections are clean and tight.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'm always messing with the chip, i've got Minotaur so i'm constantly pulling it and making tweaks. But thats unrelated as both times now its done it with the chip in and out.

The wires appear to be good, i ohmed them last time and they all showed little to no resistance, even wiggled the harness around incase it was rubbed through and possibly grounding. All connections are clean and tight.

Well a quick google search brought me to a few forums with guys throwing the same code, and thats what I found...

powerstroke95

Reaction score
Might be worth it to take the ground loose from the frame to clean it. On an unrelated note, you guys must have gotten more rain than us. I believe our sweetcorn is done. :shrug:

rusty1161

Reaction score

How many volts are you showing while cranking? Maybe your battery cables are bad enough to reduce the voltage while cranking?

Rusty

JD3020

Reaction score
The ground on the frame was cleaned up when i had the engine out, haven't looked at it since. But why would it only act up when starting the truck? The truck has never shut off on me or anything like that. It just becomes a no start issue.

And we only have an acre or two out, but its split in half and was planted 2 weeks apart. The early stuff had a lot of rain, i'm talking we were pulling 3rd and 4th ears off that were actually decent. The current stuff is hurting though, only a couple more days till its done. Soybeans are hurting as well, and so is field corn. We were expecting 80+bushel beans but unless the rain turns back on its not gonna fill out. But we did get a tenth or two tonight.

96F350KID

Reaction score
Check IPR wiring and battery to body ground on drivers battery. Had a similar issue with a customers truck and reading this whole post sounds like you could use a close shot in the dark. Customers truck would start fine sometimes, shut it off and try to start it up and just get a crank no fire.

JD3020

Reaction score
Check IPR wiring and battery to body ground on drivers battery. Had a similar issue with a customers truck and reading this whole post sounds like you could use a close shot in the dark. Customers truck would start fine sometimes, shut it off and try to start it up and just get a crank no fire.

If it were an IPR wiring issue wouldn't it act up while running?

Threw the other IDM back on it, currently running it. Going to throw my old IDM back on tomorrow as i've got a feeling it's still good after this go-around.

Anyways the truck went all day today with 0 issues again, running like a top and started up quite a few times without an issue.

Guess i'll pull all the grounds off tomorrow and got through em to rule that out.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score

Threw the other IDM back on it, currently running it. Going to throw my old IDM back on tomorrow as i've got a feeling it's still good after this go-around.

Anyways the truck went all day today with 0 issues again, running like a top and started up quite a few times without an issue.

Guess i'll pull all the grounds off tomorrow and got through em to rule that out.

Don't waste your time pulling them. Get a voltmeter and test the battery voltage across the terminals. Then leave the one lead on the positive terminal and touch the other on the grounds you are checking. You want less than half a volt difference. You can check the engine grounds by touching one lead to the engine and cranking it without the engine starting. You again want to see less than half a volt difference when compared to testing across the battery posts. The cranking test checks the integrity of the grounds, for example if you have a ground strap almost corroded through and its fine except under load.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score

Guess i'll pull all the grounds off tomorrow and got through em to rule that out.[/QUOT

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.