FICM Advice????

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
because ford didnt learn how to solder the joints!

:rockon:

strokin6L

Reaction score
Wait!! So you are saying that even if a FICM shows 48+ volts it can still be bad?? How is that??

Yes....even tho it may read 48v it can still be bad. I check that out on my cousins '06 last year. It measured 48v and was bad. He took it to ford and found that one of the half shells(circuit boards) was bad. But somehow it still measures 48v.

strokin6L

Reaction score
im not even surprised! Was the IDP tuned ficm a factory board? even though those things can be reading fine they can still be bad, its awful. Im not even going to waste the time to flash my ficm now and just get a rebuilt unit and have it tuned at the same time.

Good to hear its working well for you!

Yes my ID tuned FICM started out at a factory board off of my spare engine. It was flawless since it's been tuned and on the truck....up until i just started getting really bad idles...i mean reallllllly bad idles.

golfer

Reaction score
In most cases...a "bad/weak" FICM will show itself through the voltage check...however...

a FICM with good voltage does not necessitate that the FICM is good.

The flash can affect the amount of current/amps that the FICM delivers to the injs...ie...you could have 'good' voltage, but poor current.

strokin6L

Reaction score
In most cases...a "bad/weak" FICM will show itself through the voltage check...however...

The flash can affect the amount of current/amps that the FICM delivers to the injs...ie...you could have 'good' voltage, but poor current.

would this be easily fixed? Right now i'm running a stock FICM, cause my ID tuned FICM started acting up and started giving me really bad idles...so rough my truck shaked horrible and even surged at times, but still read 48v.

golfer

Reaction score
it's unlikely that the flash has "gone bad" LOL...so I don't know what to tell you...

sounds like the new/stock FICM has more inductance (perhaps) than whichever flash was on the other/IDP FICM...and the cold weather/(or simply wear) has negatively affected the fuel injectors enough to show the difference with regard to the differing levels of inductance.

windrunner408

Reaction score

Could a bad FICM (even one with good voltage) manifest itself in the form of causing the injectors/engine to defuel (i.e. low power)?? Not really run rough but cut the amount of fuel being supplied such that the driver would see higher boost levels than before while cruising and for no real apparent reason?? I realize that the likelihood of this is slim but I am curious if this is even possible.

strokin6L

Reaction score
it's unlikely that the flash has "gone bad" LOL...so I don't know what to tell you...

sounds like the new/stock FICM has more inductance (perhaps) than whichever flash was on the other/IDP FICM...and the cold weather/(or simply wear) has negatively affected the fuel injectors enough to show the difference with regard to the differing levels of inductance.

I know the flash didn't go bad which started to cause my rough idles all of a sudden. I've had it for three years and never had any issues in temps lower than 0*. Then all of a sudden started getting rough shakey idles when temps would get into the 30's. I know the ID flash wasn't causing the issue, but the actual FICM itself i believe is the culprit that maybe developed an issue....whether it be a circuit board issue, a resistor or something else...idk. The injectors only have about 20K miles and the truck has always gotten 5w-40 synthetic with rev-x and fuel always got additive and 2 cycle oil...so i know the injectors aren't worn. But swappin this stock FICM onto the truck fixed it.

Last edited: