Finally got an OBS

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Well I finally got the OBS I've been after for 2 yrs. I'm schooled in the 6.0 world, know all the abreviations, problems, fixes, etc. I've never owned a 7.3 of any flavor, so its time to start learning a whole new engine. I imagine, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I should find several similarities in the HUEI system along with the obvious similarites associated with most compression ignition engines. Although there will probably be many more differences than I think.

The truck is a bone stock, never tuned, never introduced to the performance aftermarket , 97', 2wd, ECLB, XLT, white paint with gray cloth and has around 36X,XXX miles on it. The paint needs a really good buff and polish, but should come out decent and the passenger side has a couple dents around where the cab and bed meet. All the glass is good, all the power supposedly works, the carpet has mud caked in and the seats need covers. The guy I bought it from is a stand up guy and wouldn't lie about it at all. He's a good friend. I got the truck for $300.

I know it is puking fuel in the valley, badly. I plan on replacing the pump and lines to hopefully remedy that issue. Other than that, all it needs is a couple new batteries and the usual fluids change, brake check and a good once over, oh, a bath and several air fresheners will be needed. I plan on using it as a run around town truck. Just something to run to Home Depot in or to load firewood in. I still want it clean and reliable though.

I have plans to get it up and running, put some miles on it, fix any unknown issues that will inevitably arise, then think about what to do next. I doubt this truck will ever get more than an exhaust, intake and tune. No plans to make any big power at over 360,000 miles. Just ease around town. I've got my 2006 to play with when I want to go fast.

I guess my first question is, what, if anything should I be on the lookout for while I'm fixing the fuel issue in the valley? I keep hearing something about an ebvp issue with the turbo pedestol???
Anything else you guys think I need to know?

Thanks for your responses, I'm looking forward to learning and enjoying this truck.
tapatalk_1386898388047_zpsac664a28.jpg

tapatalk_1386898362400_zps001dd8cb.jpg

tapatalk_1386898372218_zps8a040f60.jpg

tapatalk_1386898380060_zps960bf673.jpg

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Diesel23

Reaction score
congrats man , I just bought a 96 ccsb , im in the same boat ,I know a heck of a lot on my 6.4 but trying to learn as much as I can on this 7.3 ,but loving it !! didn't get quite a deal as you but am pleased ,
Good Luck with it

97powerstroke

Reaction score
The fuel leak is probably one of the hoses on the fuel bowl. If your looking to make improvements get rid of the mechanical pump and put and e-fuel set-up on it.

kanuck15

Reaction score
like everyone else said its a mechanical pump so the leak will be rather easy to spot in the valley.

Also the 7.3/6.0 are similar. Just imagine a 6.0 without all the crap that goes wrong. No EGR, FICM, VGT. Its just simple

Last edited:

d7es3l

Reaction score
With the leak in the valley, I would just pull the bowl, replace the pump & get all new rubber lines & reseal the fuel bowl.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
The plan is to get it running on stock components. I'm getting a box of stock fuel system parts from a buddy that did an efuel system on his and kept his stock stuff since it was in nearly new condition. He's offered it up if I'll cover shipping so I jumped on the that. Once the fueling issue is figured out and she's running, I can tell what else may need attention. If she's in good shape , I'll tackle the efuel. Honestly though, after looking into efuel systems, I doubt I'll pay the asking price of $1000-$1400. Not for a truck I purchased for $300. I'm gonna get with Jay at PHP and see what his thoughts are.

Sent while driving, drinking coffee and threatening to kill people in traffic.

m j

Reaction score
dieselorings.com is your friend with an old 7.3
they leak from every orifice when they get old

JD3020

Reaction score
I've got under $200 in mine.

$115 for a Walbro, $30 in banjo bolt adapter fittings, $1 in a nipple to do the "Joedaddy" FPR mod, $40 in a Napa filter and housing, and another $20 in assorted fuel hose and clamps. Wired into the factory trailer battery relay so it has power when the key's on. Works perfect. Although i'm planning on adding another pump down the road, and a nice regulator whenever i do a Gen 3.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I did e fuel on my truck for 250 bucks? used 7.3 SD pump on ebay. Then did the "joedaddy" cheapo fuel bowl delete mod. Works just fine

I've got under $200 in mine.

$115 for a Walbro, $30 in banjo bolt adapter fittings, $1 in a nipple to do the "Joedaddy" FPR mod, $40 in a Napa filter and housing, and another $20 in assorted fuel hose and clamps. Wired into the factory trailer battery relay so it has power when the key's on. Works perfect. Although i'm planning on adding another pump down the road, and a nice regulator whenever i do a Gen 3.

I'm gonna have to get with you guys when the time comes. From what I read, tuning really requires efuel to get the most out of it. Id like to tune this truck. Just not right away. I want it in good running order with any issues fixed beforehand.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Fuel systems will help with the power a little bit, but its mainly to protect the injectors from dirty fuel or lack of pressure.

Fwiw, a strong oil pump(srp 1.1) and a FULL fuel system make a gigantic difference in the operation of even a stock injectored truck. My truck is darn near silent if it werent for straight 5" exhaust. The fuel system is responsible for killing the cackle and solenoid racket.

Id take a video but im not sure it'll make any sense. I have jake@irates 5/8 to pre/post filters and 3/8 pushloc to ss bent hardlines and then a aeromotive regulator. Its pretty awesome.

I cant imagine having a stock oil pump again. Tue driveability is night and day. Stock injectors do suck still but the power is smoother with those two upgrades and my injectors have a metric chit ton of miles on them.

No argument just wanted to offer my counterpoint! :D

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Fwiw, a strong oil pump(srp 1.1) and a FULL fuel system make a gigantic difference in the operation of even a stock injectored truck. My truck is darn near silent if it werent for straight 5" exhaust. The fuel system is responsible for killing the cackle and solenoid racket.

Id take a video but im not sure it'll make any sense. I have jake@irates 5/8 to pre/post filters and 3/8 pushloc to ss bent hardlines and then a aeromotive regulator. Its pretty awesome.

I cant imagine having a stock oil pump again. Tue driveability is night and day. Stock injectors do suck still but the power is smoother with those two upgrades and my injectors have a metric chit ton of miles on them.

No argument just wanted to offer my counterpoint! :D

I appreciate the input.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Just outta curiousity, how many miles do you guys have on your rigs?

Also, I wanna get some opinions on keeping the truck stock height, lifting it a coule inches or lowering it? I'm kinda thinking I might lift it a couple inches and start looking for a flat bed. Opinions?

JD3020

Reaction score
I'm at 211k on mine, engine has 125k on it(put it in last winter at 205k), and transmission probably has 20k on it.

Personally, seeing as its 2wd, leave it stock height or lower it. Although even it it were 4wd, i'd say leave it stock or lower it. Pondering the idea of lowering mine a little.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Just found out the OBS has a new trans. It's just a stock rebuild, but hey, one less thing I've got to spend money on. SCORE!!!!

Sent while driving, drinking coffee and threatening to kill people in traffic.

Latest posts

Members online