First hook in the 6.4

Ipkyss

Reaction score
went to the local truck pulls. I would call the outcome fairly horrible. Plenty of power. No traction. Strapped the front end almost to the bump stops. 25psi in the front. 65 in the rear. Timbrens in the rear(big mistake I think?) Started in 2nd low. Almost instantly shifted to 3rd. 3rd went striaght to the rev limiter by about 50ft. Let it hang for a second and shifted to drive. Plan was to leave it in 3rd. Which is what most everyone there was doing. But I was not going to leave it on the rev limiter all the way down the track.

So I am not too sure where to go from here. Had no wheel hop in the front. Felt like all the bounce started in the rear and just got worse. I got off the throttle three time to try and get it to settle with not much luck. I am thinking some spring stops are needed.

All that being said. It still made it down the track a long ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXV1_EIJlFU

Ipkyss

Reaction score
On the plus side. I got the truck down to 8,010lbs with me in it. With my pulling hitch and two straps on the front axle. So figure me 220lbs. The hitch and straps about 40. So the truck by itself was 7,750lbs. That was with a 1/2 tank of fuel. No tailgate, not spare tire, pulled the tool box out, rear seat tray gone, and nothing extra in the cab. Also figured out my tailgate is 107lbs.

madman1234509

Reaction score
4 lo I assume? That is an odd bounce. I kind of wanted to say when you took off really fast from a dead stop you really loaded that rear end down and caused it to bounce hard causing the chain reaction. Maybe jared@rcd could chime in, they pull quite a bit with their 6.4s. Anyone have luck pulling in 4 hi to keep from bouncing off the rev limiter soo much?

**see its a 250.... wonder if the 350 overload springs would help?:confused:

Last edited:

B.Warning

Reaction score
You got traction bars? I would say that would eliminate your hop for the most part. Suspension stops will help a lot to. Keep your hitch as close to 26" for the most upward pull as possible. If your planing on pulling a lot you need to weld your axle tubes to the center section. Those spot welds don't hold up, or at least didn't for me. The first tacky track I was on I snapped them along with other stuff.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
4 lo I assume? That is an odd bounce. I kind of wanted to say when you took off really fast from a dead stop you really loaded that rear end down and caused it to bounce hard causing the chain reaction. Maybe jared@rcd could chime in, they pull quite a bit with their 6.4s. Anyone have luck pulling in 4 hi to keep from bouncing off the rev limiter soo much?

**see its a 250.... wonder if the 350 overload springs would help?:confused:

It has timbrens on the rear. I am thinking that doesn't help. The best I can tell, the first big hop was when I kicked it into 3rd. It smoothed out just after I shifted to 4th till the end where I am starting to think I hit a hole and it started to bounce again.

I still have no idea why it came out spinning so easy. I came out no boost and rolled into the throttle. I was maybe half throttle when it hit the rev limiter in 2nd. Next pull is thursday. I am going to either figure it out or break something trying.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Def. let us know!!! Id like to hear more peoples results on sled pulling. Was thinking maybe giving it a quick go one day just to try, but want to go prepared with a some what decent set up. You were in lo gear? Also why pumped up so high with the rear tires? Think maybe 10 less lbs could benefit at all? Or would that be too low for how much a sled weighs?

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Dont think the timbrens are going to help you much, It needs a good set of traction bars.

Traction bars are there. Thats not the issue. I am thinking the suspension stops will do the trick. Might even put a 4 link together if I get some time in the next two days. Going to weld the rear axle tubes while I am at it. Been meaning to do that for a while anyways.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
dont strap the front end. run dual rs 9000 ranchos up the front on setting 9.

get rid of the tims

Dustball8504

Reaction score
Suspension stops might bump you a class

He may be able to run them at 1 inch travel.

dont strap the front end. run dual rs 9000 ranchos up the front on setting 9.

get rid of the tims

Solid advice here! Strapping the front end is a waste from what I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmO9yrRQ1pA

4:10, my truck didn't hop. I was running traction bars, suspension stops with 1.5 inch travel, OUO radius arms and RS9000s on 9 up front and my tire pressure at 27ish front and 50ish rear.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I can run suspension stops with one inch suspension travel. Reading the rules. They say no aftermarket 3/4 link suspensions. Trying to get a better answer. I think they mean in the rear. But its does not say. without better shocks and/or a 4 link. I don't see any other option but to strap the front.

wanna_b

Reaction score
We run dual shocks on my buddies 05 up front with 22 psi and no bounce. You could clamp your springs together in the rear to see if that helps the bounce.

We just pulled our first 6.4 the other night. Rudy said put it 3rd and let it bump.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Taking my 1.5 spacer out of the front and making some bump stop replacement suspension stops tonight. It i have time. I will see if i can put in an extra shock. But i think i only have some extra factory rancho junk in the shop right now. thought i was going to have a lot more time to play with things. But work has been busy. I know straping the front end down is not the right way. But its the only quick thing i can think of.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.