Floor jack? What ya got

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
I went overkill and got 12-ton jack stands... they were $90 and tall enough that I can lift the truck at the frame. (Had to to install leaf springs.)

IMO... it's not worth injury or damage to save a few bucks on under rated equipment that *might* work. I had a good friend/co-worker who died last spring when his jeep rolled over on him and crushed him. Just aint worth it.

This^^.... We went ahead and got some serious jack stands also, except these are 15 tons and old, they are some HEAVY mofo's(since theyre old school). We also have a pneumatic jack rated up to 25 tons to jack up WHATEVER I need :D

rc4wd

Reaction score
99% of the time we use one of our forklifts or our front end loader on the tractor and wood blocks nailed or screwed together

jkidd_39

Reaction score
I snagged a napa pro 3-1/2 ton at an auction for $150. Been using bottle jacks until now.

I'd say go big as you can afford. Maybe look into one where you can remove the pad and get a transmission adapter.

And like the guys all said. Jackstands ftw.

Little derail....

Has anyone ever seem the guys at BTS use Jackstands other than when the front of a truck is ripped apart??

When I went to haves VB done the guy just jacked up the pumpkin and went under. I asked if he was gonna use stands and his reply was, "been doing this 5 years. I don't need Jackstands. "

I thought it was dumb but his choice.

Snake

Reaction score
I agree with trying to buy more than you need, but there are times when you have to take a serious look at how you intend to use something and how much stuff costs. My truck weighed 8200 lbs stock with me in it and a full tank of fuel. My use of the jack is pretty much limited to rotating tires, one corner at a time. A floor jack rated for 4k lbs is more than sufficient IMHO, especially if you're also using jack stands rated for 6k lbs.

Snake

Reaction score
......his reply was, "been doing this 5 years. I don't need Jackstands. "

I thought it was dumb but his choice.

Agreed. All it takes is one time. The more often you do it, the greater your chances of having an accident. My neighbor used to do the same, and ignored my warnings. One day he had just crawled out from underneath his truck (one tire removed) and the jack failed. He would have been crushed had he been 5 seconds slower. He went out and bought a new jack and jack stands that evening.

Agjake11

Reaction score
I agree with trying to buy more than you need, but there are times when you have to take a serious look at how you intend to use something and how much stuff costs. My truck weighed 8200 lbs stock with me in it and a full tank of fuel. My use of the jack is pretty much limited to rotating tires, one corner at a time. A floor jack rated for 4k lbs is more than sufficient IMHO, especially if you're also using jack stands rated for 6k lbs.

This is pretty much how I went about it. I might consider swapping out the jack stands but the 4 ton stands were shorter than the 3 ton and the lifting capabilities of the jack be enough to make the height the jack could achieve irrelevant.

The max that the jack and stands will be used for is swapping out wheels/tires or doing the brakes on the truck one side at a time. Other than that they'll be used when working in friends cars that weigh much less

Latest posts

Members online