For you guys running High HP 7.3's, listen up

CSIPSD

Reaction score
CPS works, or it does not... Thats why when the signal is corupt the PCM just kills the truck.

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
I just had a similar issue running the BWD sensor. Thankfully I didn't scatter anything but thought I was losing my transmission.
I got on it hard and when my tranny shifted into third, it hit so hard the truck went sideways. Scared the crap out of me. I had it do it a couple more times intermittently over the last week. Started to gather prices to build my transmission. I was heading over to my sister's house and the engine just died as i went to accelerate from a light. It started back up.
I suspected the CPS but it was a new BWD. I had removed my old black IH sensor because my throttle gets extremely touchy once the truck reaches operating temp and lopes when it is put in neutral or park.
I tested the magnets and the old black one is slightly stronger and the truck is more responsive just really touchy.
It smoked worse with the BWD but idled better and running down the road in third at 45
I didn't have the really sensitive throttle when hitting bumps.
Knowing what happening in my truck I know failure of the CPS under load can cause substantial damage.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Not seeing the logic between the engine cutting out from the injector not firing, aaaaaand blowing a headgasket. What cylinder was it blow on? 9?

Snowman269

Reaction score
The PCM doesn't shut down the motor on my truck when the signal is corrupted. I don't know why.

Snowman on Tapatalk 2

Snowman269

Reaction score
The PCM doesn't shut down the motor on my black truck when the signal is corrupted, at least to where I have to restart the truck, I don't know why. All the rest of my 7.3's do.

It was violent when it cutout and only for a fraction of a second. It was all the injectors not firing and then they did. I knew I didn't want a repeat as something has to break under the circumstances, then it happened with 2 violent hiccups and a volcano of coolant.

That was all she wrote.

Snowman on Tapatalk

bad12jr

Reaction score
Is it the original gasket studded? I made my 1996 backfire one day. Two loose valve cover wires would make contact at a couple random times. Fired off the injector on an exhaust stroke and pow. Should a never fired but it did. I think it was energy stored in the wire and dissipated. So anything is possible

Wondering if the cps on that truck is miss reading the tone ring. By a couple of counts when it come back after it cuts off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Short Bus

Reaction score
If the CPS cuts the engine off then goes wot at high rpm I could see cp's spiking. 0hp to 600-700 in milliseconds....maybe I'm wrong I don't know.

JD3020

Reaction score
Just to add something to this.

I parked my truck about 2 weeks, thought it wasn't getting fuel. Threw a system together and put on the truck, with no change. Turned out to be an IDM. Got it running Friday night.

Yesterday before i took the truck on the road i wanted to make sure it was running fine. I let it warm up, and started revving it. It was smooth until 3k, then all hell would break loose. If it was at part throttle it'd just die, if i really laid into it, it'd rev up to about 3200 but then begin breaking up and die. No matter what it wouldn't live past 3k RPM's. It would spit, sputter, backfire, pop, etc.. One of the times it did throw a CPS code, then i got to thinking, i had swapped in the ****ty BWD CPS while troubleshooting. Threw in my Ford CPS and all was good.

Now to the point of this. Throughout this whole ordeal, i noticed quite a few times when it was acting up, it sounded extremely "crisp", like it was running on very high timing. But there was no chip in, so it was bone stock timing. So maybe there is some merit to a CPS causing a brief instance of very advanced timing causing a HG to blow. :shrug:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
If the CPS cuts the engine off then goes wot at high rpm I could see cp's spiking. 0hp to 600-700 in milliseconds....maybe I'm wrong I don't know.

I don't see that being the case...

The motor does not magically stop turning when it stops fueling... It just stops fueling. Then it starts again, and your motor is still turning the same RPM's...

I don't see a CPS causing a head gasket issue.

ToMang07

Reaction score
I have had nothing but problems out of a lot of different but the oem. I would not run a aftermarket cps in my truck for love nor money. The old orginial black ones still seem to run the smoothest. But when they fail they leave you set.

The grey ones don't seem to fail and leave you on the side of the road. However they will pretty much always fail CCT 3&8. From my experience when one of these are failing you will notice a choppier idle, change in throttle response, and possibly change in cold start cranking time. I have also noticed a difference in power through the rpm band in black vs old grey.

No Experience with the Dark-Grey/Blue CPS, but as far as the Black and Grey ones, I have had the same experiences. I love the way the truck runs with the Black one. I have 2, plus a grey as a backup.

RedSmokey

Reaction score
I don't see that being the case...

The motor does not magically stop turning when it stops fueling... It just stops fueling. Then it starts again, and your motor is still turning the same RPM's...

I don't see a CPS causing a head gasket issue.

I am in over my head here, but curious... Even though the motor is turning, would it not make a difference like Short Bus said of there being zero fuel/hp then instantly back up to 600-700hp? Being zero fuel making significantly less cylinder pressure then spiking back to the higher pressure of 600+hp?

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Just to add something to this.

I parked my truck about 2 weeks, thought it wasn't getting fuel. Threw a system together and put on the truck, with no change. Turned out to be an IDM. Got it running Friday night.

Yesterday before i took the truck on the road i wanted to make sure it was running fine. I let it warm up, and started revving it. It was smooth until 3k, then all hell would break loose. If it was at part throttle it'd just die, if i really laid into it, it'd rev up to about 3200 but then begin breaking up and die. No matter what it wouldn't live past 3k RPM's. It would spit, sputter, backfire, pop, etc.. One of the times it did throw a CPS code, then i got to thinking, i had swapped in the ****ty BWD CPS while troubleshooting. Threw in my Ford CPS and all was good.

Now to the point of this. Throughout this whole ordeal, i noticed quite a few times when it was acting up, it sounded extremely "crisp", like it was running on very high timing. But there was no chip in, so it was bone stock timing. So maybe there is some merit to a CPS causing a brief instance of very advanced timing causing a HG to blow. :shrug:

i have experienced this as well. truck was loping, and running all kinds of choppy. but it ran like a raped ape. rolling coal, like it had a big tune in it. but it was stock.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Its not going to be making anymore or less CP then it was before... If it was building 2800 PSI before it will still be making 2800 psi...

A bad/intermittent CPS can not blow a head gasket. Not in my world anyway...

JD3020

Reaction score
Then explain what sounded like 20-30*+ of timing, or at least something that caused it to sound like that. Now that i've been playing with Minotaur and running 100% on my own tunes, i've been listening to the engine as closely as i can.

Obviously i have no hard data to back it up, just what i heard, but there was something ***y going on with the PCM/CPS.

ghohouston

Reaction score
You would think we would have heard of this at some point before now if it was possible/ had ever happened. Youre telling us you are the first guy, since 1994, this has happened to. I find that awfully hard to believe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.