fuel pump fuse keeps blowing

Dantheman

Reaction score
Even if the flow increases, the pressure stays the same unless the pump can't keep up. The load would decrease if it lost pressure.

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
So let me ask this.Should I pay this fella to come check the wiring or shouldbI just buy ohm reader? And do it myself?

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Just talked to the mechanic he says he has noway 2 read the fuel.pressure but it should be 2500lbs @the.injectors..that dosnt sound right.

ghohouston

Reaction score
you just need to know the pressure at the fuel bowl, not the injectors. you need 55ish lbs at the bowl, under load, not just at idle.

Arisley

Reaction score
That mechanic doesn't know about Powerstrokes. The fuel pressure increase happens inside the injector.

If you know how to use an ohm meter, get one yourself and check the wiring.
Every tool box needs a multimeter.

mandkole

Reaction score
As said, a full review of the wiring and fuel system is needed. You need meters, gauges, etc. Since this truck was sold with unknown issues you could have restrictions in the fuel plumbing, hacked wiring, etc.. The joys of getting someone elses junk..

Where are you located? Perhaps some help is in the area..

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Im in missouri in a.small small.small town in.franklin county

Sent from my SGH-T879 using Tapatalk

AzPsd55

Reaction score
I would pull the fuel bowl, clean it all up make sure everything is flowing good, then check the check valves in the head just like arisley said. make sure nothing's clogged up. You might want to drop the tank and blow out the incoming and return just to be sure. I know its a pain but then you can rule out flow issues.

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Im about 2&1/2 hrs away.from each of those places.Im.past 6 flags,Weve blown the bowl out as well as all the lines.When I pulled the.mixing chamber it was.pretty clean.Not that this might have anything to do.with it but my shifter linkage hae slack in it.When u go.to fire it u have to push&hold it up.

AzPsd55

Reaction score
iirc theirs two filters inside the white part of the sending unit you could clean i know that would make the truck run sluggish, but i don't think it would make your fuse pop.

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Ive eliminated them.My question now is.How.am I suppose 2 hook up a gauge 2 read fuel pressure since the fuel pump fuse blows so fast?

mandkole

Reaction score
iirc theirs two filters inside the white part of the sending unit you could clean i know that would make the truck run sluggish, but i don't think it would make your fuse pop.

As I understand it, the DI tank mod kit should remove the parts between the umbrella and the top of the sender assembly. Im still puzzled why the bowl has enough pressure in it to cause to blow fuel out the drain under pressure. Ive never seen it , so if someone can confirm this is normal for stock SD fuel bowls, then I'll stop bringing it up. OP, after the fuse pops is the pump noticably warm or hot? can you tell? That maxi fuse has had over 20 amps back feeding through it so something is getting warm.

Cutthroat, start looking at wiring for strange taps, etc. and lets try to confirm what the fuel pressure is doing.

mandkole

Reaction score
Ive eliminated them.My question now is.How.am I suppose 2 hook up a gauge 2 read fuel pressure since the fuel pump fuse blows so fast?

there is a test port on the bowl-- a harbor freight gauge with a 5 foot hose on it will work. put it somewhere you can see it from outside the hood.

AzPsd55

Reaction score
fuel_bowl_wif_drain.jpg

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
I can order.the adapter to run into the port from guzzlers page&can get a gauge but what Im confused on is how to get a correct reading since the fuel.pump fuse blows the pump wont be working so I wont get a correct reading.Lastnite it blew while idleing.Itll.blow a 40.amp.fuse it just takes.a minute longer.Ive blown over 100 bucks worth of em

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.