Fuel pump? P0087 and clacking noise?

94forddiesel

Reaction score
Here's the story I'm heading to nh towing my buddies duramax I was merging on to the highway about half throttle when all of a sudden i felt a loss in power started smoking whitish gray and I heard a clacking type noise I let off the throttle and it was still pulling like it was trying to give it fuel then I slowed down and pulled over shut the truck off. No check engine light but I checked my mini max and it came up with p0087 rail pressure too low. Cleared the code started the truck clacking noise is still there and it hazes at idle. So I'm still just sitting on the side of the highway... Thanks for the help guys the clacking is what worrys me. So I won't drive it

sootie

Reaction score
bye bye piston...

open the oil fill cap with it running and see if is Puff Puff Puff rhythmically.

check the oil for fuel dilution.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I think your HPFP just said bye bye. Or maybe an injector is hung open.

Last edited:

94forddiesel

Reaction score
Yeah it's not a piston ha that already happened engine is fully rebuilt with delipped pistons now only things that arnt new are fuel system so figures something would go wrong. Got it home and too the shop looks like the hpfp is coming apart I had two contribution codes and two injector codes. And yes I did do a compression test all is good there. Gonna do an air dog lp new factory k16 and 8 new injectors are on order and all new lines!

Elliott6.7

Reaction score
I'm thinking that code is telling you that your HPFP is hurt and on its way out.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

94forddiesel

Reaction score
I'm thinking that code is telling you that your HPFP is hurt and on its way out.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

That's what I got out of it too. Just ordered 8 new injectors new hpfp and all lines. And a air dog 2 should be back together by the end of the week!

94forddiesel

Reaction score
Ok so installed new hpfp new injector all lines and new lpfp when I finslly got it started if I let it idle it smokes heavy white while it cold if I let it just idle it throws contribution codes mainly cylinder 2 and sometime 4 and 7 along with 2 then if will start misfiring cylinder. 2 I shut it off clear codes and start it again now I'm
Thinking still has air in system so I hold it had 1200 for a few min still smoking white. And contribution test is showing some cylinders still negative numbers so I took it for a ride after 30 miles or so truck seemed good no smoke sounded as it should chevkrf comtribution test all 0's at idle check for codes still get cylinder contribution balance code ... Start up following morning bavk to smoking white? I'm driving it to the shop now any ideas? Oh btw not smoking anymore after 2 miles of driving shop is 25 miles away

94forddiesel

Reaction score
Was hoping to but tomo
Morning will tell I ment to post that it's at the shop now tomo all cylinders are getting a compression test and we will go from there... If it's a piston that will be a kick in the nuts truck only has 2650 miles since engine was built this is why I went with delipped pistons so I wouldn't have this problem

Stroked777

Reaction score
Was hoping to but tomo
Morning will tell I ment to post that it's at the shop now tomo all cylinders are getting a compression test and we will go from there... If it's a piston that will be a kick in the nuts truck only has 2650 miles since engine was built this is why I went with delipped pistons so I wouldn't have this problem

did you run it hard or anything in those miles? maybe a injector hung open and then it flowed down hill from there

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
But with your rebuild, were the injectors and HPFP replaced?

94forddiesel

Reaction score
did you run it hard or anything in those miles? maybe a injector hung open and then it flowed down hill from there

No I didn't even do a 0-60 pull on it. Those miles were all
Highway back an forth to work 120 mile commute except for when I went to tow my buddy to nh and that was on tow tune driving easy at 70-75 on the highway

94forddiesel

Reaction score
But with your rebuild, were the injectors and HPFP replaced?

No they were not. I just did that Friday replaced the whole fuel system. When it happened it only ran maybe ten min total loading it on the trailer and pulling in the shop that's all it ran after it started acting up

sootie

Reaction score
are you getting a cam position or crank position sensor code?

94forddiesel

Reaction score
Well that's a kick in the nuts low compression cyl 2 and cyl 8 isn't perfect either... Good way to throw away 25 grand for 2600 miles.... Maybe an injector stuck idk have no funds left to find out. Glad I spent 2000 just for pistons

sootie

Reaction score
are you doing a manual compression test or through ids? if there is an electrical issue, the ids reading can be way off,

also, if the truck has hardly any miles on it since the rebuild, the rings may not have fully seated.

quick question.,..when you are on the power balance test with ids, if you turn the compensation off (# symbol), does the truck ever go into its funky idle?

Last edited:

94forddiesel

Reaction score
are you doing a manual compression test or through ids? if there is an electrical issue, the ids reading can be way off,

also, if the truck has hardly any miles on it since the rebuild, the rings may not have fully seated.

quick question.,..when you are on the power balance test with ids, if you turn the compensation off (# symbol), does the truck ever go into its funky idle?

Manual compression test threw glow plug hole. And I'm using a snap on scanner for the contribution test

Latest posts

Members online