Fuel setup?

Joshbaker

Reaction score
Ok so im trying to decide what route to go for setting up my fuel system not that the stock pump is toast. part of my just wants to replace the stock pump (about $275) and call it good. On the other hand im really thinking this isnt the best option out their and i should go with an airdog 2 and sell the airdog 100 thats on the truck. And another part of me thinks i should do something else but im not sure what the something else is. Anybody got any good ideas of what to do? As it is im running a fuel su,p to the AD100 to the stock pump.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
If you are not going to upgrade the injectors from the current 155cc units, put another stock pump in and be done with it.

I would advise against the AD swap you spoke up.

If you are planning further performance work, it would help to know how far you are planning to go before offering any other advice.

slc dzl

Reaction score
In your sig you list soon to get gauges, if it were me I would get a edge cts gauge with fuel pressure sensor and opt out of pillar gauges.
You may not even need a new pump and would have a piece of mind on all the parameters you would want to monitor.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
He doesn't need an A1000 unless he's going significantly bigger on injectors. There are very good reasons for NOT doing aftermarket fuel pumps...but he hasn't chimed back in and said what his future plans are.

RescueF250

Reaction score
If you are not going to upgrade the injectors from the current 155cc units, put another stock pump in and be done with it.

I would advise against the AD swap you spoke up.

If you are planning further performance work, it would help to know how far you are planning to go before offering any other advice.

Dennis why you against the airdog ? Is it just because of his 155.

My current setup Sump-Airdog150-stock pump-fuel bowl- with RR. Fueled my 190s no problem no pressure lost and im still on my factory 03 pump. 6 plus years with that setup

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
His current AD is just fine, I'm against him going to an ADII. First of all, he doesn't need it. A stock pump will feed his injectors just fine, and with the AD100 he's got, he's got the best of both worlds (extra filtration, air removal, lift pump and high pressure pump).

Now, if he's got future "big injector" plans...that might change my advice. Depends on how big, and how far into the future, and how much "reliability" is a concern.

Joshbaker

Reaction score
Sorry i didnt get back sooner. Im not planning on going to bigger injectors. Only upgrades in this trucks future are oil bypass, BPD oil cooler, Head studs and some type of aftermarket turbo. And i have a FP gauge, thats why i know the pump is worn out. I get 60psi at idle and up to about 1/2 throttle. After that it starts dropping into the 40psi range and if i go WOT it drops to 25-30psi. And reliability is my main thing on this truck. but i also want it to be a fun truck too.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Did it hold pressure before? Are you positive it's the pump and not something else like a restriction in the system? What about a regulated return? I'd stick with the setup you have. I wouldn't buy any airdogs at this point, but I think the system you have now is more reliable than going to a stand alone air dog. At least now if your AD100 gives up you still have the stock pump to get you home.

FWIW, reading fuel pressure at the bowl for me shows normal pressure, but reading behind the heads shows the same readings you're seeing, and that's on stock injectors for my truck.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Josh...hate to say it but if the pressure drop is your only diagnosis, there may be NOTHING WRONG with your fuel pump. The blue spring bandaid is FAR from a fuel pressure fix for these trucks, I've seen it time and time again from people that are expecting that cheap mod to resolve the pressure problems. Most want to blame the pump, when the real problem is the pressure management system.

The best example I've got is still my 2004 truck, with nearly no miles on it, back when there was no SCT or any custom tuning. With stock injectors and a 1st generation "Edge Juice w/Attitude" (which we all know was pretty tame)...20-30psi of fuel pressure drop at WOT. I'm sorry, but there is NO WAY that stock injectors and that old module used enough fuel to cause that much drop on their own. When my very first 6.0L Regulated Return fuel system was installed on that same truck...with NO other changes...ZERO PRESSURE DROP. Then I went to 170cc injectors and SCT tuning and still ZERO PRESSURE DROP...all with the stock fuel pump.

If that was my truck, before I replaced the fuel pump, I would do a REAL fuel system upgrade and ditch the blue spring bandaid (especially since it's got an AirDog 100 feeding it). I don't know how many miles are your stock fuel pump, so I can't guarantee that it's not part of the problem...but odds are there is nothing wrong with it.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing Dennis. The blue spring is in no way a fix for a lack of proper volume (whether that be a pump issue, or a crummy stock fuel system issue). Being you have two pumps there and can still build pressure when a demand isn't needed... I think I'd be looking at the fuel system like suggested.

Joshbaker

Reaction score
Truck has 187k on it. The only changes i made to the truck was tuning. I was using RCD tunes before and now am running Vivians Looney wild. I might not be understanding everything just right so let me ask some questions. If the truck will idle and go all the way to 1/2 throttle and stay at or around 50+ psi on the new tunes but drops like a brick at WOT is a RR going to fix this? And what exactly does a RR do? With the old RCD tunes (which i believe were detuned for some reason) i never had a huge pressure drop. it would always be well above 50psi and idle at 60psi.

EDIT: I wouldnt think a restriction would be the cause for a few reasons. I just dropped and cleaned the tank when i did the fuel sump a few months ago. And I didnt have any problems with fuel pressure until i changed tunes.

Last edited:

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Our Regulated Return does a few things:

1. Moves the pressure regulator to AFTER all of the pressure drop (fuel filter, fuel lines, sharp turns, banjo bolts) and demand (fuel injectors). This results in the pressure at the regulator being a much better representation of what the pressure in the fuel rail is.

2. Upgrades the fuel line size (increased flow capability) from the filter bowl to the heads.

3. Upgrades the banjo bolts to significantly higher flowing units (less pressure drop).

4. Replaces the tiny stock (or blue) regulator spring and poppet with a regulator that can operate more accurately (less chance of leakage past the regulator).

As for the tunes, if the current tunes are asking for more fuel, than the demand on the fuel system will be higher...more fuel will be passing through the injectors and into the cylinder...so the pressure drop will be higher.

Again, I can't guarantee that with almost 200k on the clock, you don't have a pump that is tiring. My recommendation of staying with that stock fuel pump from Ford still stands...IF you decide to go that route. There are 4 possible outcomes here:

1. You replace the pump and the pressure drop is fixed. This tells us that the pump you have was moving significantly less fuel than it should have been. What I described above for the fuel system work still applies...the regulator is not located properly and you could improve the system with our RRK.

2. You replace the pump and nothing changes. This tells us that the pump was not the problem and I'm correct about the stock pressure management setup. Install our RRK and your fuel system will be good to go.

3. You install our RRK and your pressures are back to where they are supposed to be. This confirms everything I've said above, but still doesn't guarantee that your 187k mile pump is perfect and it may still need to be replaced at some point when it doesn't want to run any longer.

4. You install our RRK and nothing changes. This confirms that your pump is already too far gone and needs to be replaced. Once the pump is replaced, your fuel system will be good to go for a very long time.

Hope that helps.

Joshbaker

Reaction score
Ok sounds like im going to put the pump in now then. And i went on your site and it said the RR was out of stock. Any idea of when I might be able to order it?

Mdub707

Reaction score
This may be pretty obvious... but if you had fuel pressure on a different tune, but not on this... seems like you could just put the old tune back on to ensure the pump is still working like it was. If pressure is still low on the old tune again, maybe you do ineed have a blockage or a weak pump on it's way out...

My guess is it's just going to need more fuel now, and it's not a bad pump.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
RRKs are waiting for another batch of S.S. tubes. They are due here any day now...last I heard from my bender.

Joshbaker

Reaction score
Well no worries. Can't get the RR till mr Obama decides to un **** himself and pay me all of my money. And my wife's money. Here's to hoping the new stock pump fixes it till I can get the RR. thanks very much for all the info guys.

Joshbaker

Reaction score
ok so just swapped the truck back to the stock tune. Had 60psi @idle, dropped to 55psi @ 3/4 throttle and 50psi @ WOT. Heald steady @50psi from 55-70mph WOT. So my next question is should i get the pump and the RRK or just get the RRK?

Latest posts

Members online