Fuel system is done

Arisley

Reaction score
Fuel_system2.jpg

Just need to hang it and wire it.

Can I use factory wiring to run two SD pumps. Or do I need to use the factory wires to fire a relay to feed the pumps. If I need to use a relay, will an old AIH relay work?

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I wouldn't try it without a relay. And I don't see why an AIH relay wouldn't work. I use one on my truck to activate all my add-on accessories so I know they go off when I turn off the key.

Looks good by the way. I am working on the same type of setup but using a walbro with a stock pump. Stock pump is just for insurance unless I find a need for the extra flow at WOT.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Can a guy just use one pump(fuelab or walbro)? Or is it cheaper to source an extra SD pump? I think I have an extra one in my shop thats newish...mine's the original yet, knock wood, and works.

Im focused on my trans research and all that but I need to get this sh!t done too. Its been so friggin hot that I dont feel like working on the truck after being gone for 14 hours a day.

Arisley

Reaction score
Baldwin Filters: BF1212 pre-pump and BF7633 post-pump
NAPA bases, can't remember the number. They have two inputs and two outputs each. Makes it easy to plumb the pumps.

Thanks on the AIH relay info.

Can a guy just use one pump(fuelab or walbro)? Or is it cheaper to source an extra SD pump? I think I have an extra one in my shop thats newish...mine's the original yet, knock wood, and works.

Im focused on my trans research and all that but I need to get this sh!t done too. Its been so friggin hot that I dont feel like working on the truck after being gone for 14 hours a day.

The SD pumps are cheap. But yes, you can do it with one pump, that's what most guys do.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Not to derail but i wish this could be applied to a 6.0. I have the crap just don't know what to do!!

Arisley

Reaction score
Smut.

Just read a lot, jump in and start doing. Once you start doing, ask questions when you hit a stump. The only special tools it takes is a welder and a tubing bender. Use a coat hanger to bend patterns to fit. After they fit, bend the tubing to match. I used 3/8's brake line, it is cheap and you can get it at any parts house. I used compression fittings from Home Depot, not so cheap, all those fittings add up.

I try to keep a pretty good stock of compression fittings on hand though. Pretty much exhausted my supply. I also keep brake line on hand, that's all gone now also.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
i have the same filters you do andy, though reading this and thinking about those filters, are either of them water seperators? im assuming you deleted the bowl.

QtrHorse

Reaction score
Use the factory wiring to activate new relays. If the AIH relay is not a continuous duty, do not use it. Get a couple new Bosch 30A relays.

Irontx

Reaction score
Nice work there Andy!!
I would probably fuse each pump as well. Fuses are cheap! Relays get expensive. Thats just me though.

QtrHorse

Reaction score
Nice work there Andy!!
I would probably fuse each pump as well. Fuses are cheap! Relays get expensive. Thats just me though.

Yes, you need to fuse the power wire going to the relay. Relays are actually cheap, it is the fuel pump you are protecting with the fuses and those are expensive. I would use a relay for each pump.

You can pick up the relays at Radio Shack and most likely any autoparts store. I normally get all my electrical items at www.waytekwire.com. They have a lot of nice items and are cheap. The only downside is that you normally have to meet a certain amount for each item. I believe it is $10 and if your total order is less than $35, they add $5 to the order.

Arisley

Reaction score
i have the same filters you do andy, though reading this and thinking about those filters, are either of them water seperators? im assuming you deleted the bowl.

Factory bowl is still there, deleting it is the nxt step, along with the sump and larger supply and return lines.

Nice work there Andy!!

Yes, fuses will be used.

Use the factory wiring to activate new relays. If the AIH relay is not a continuous duty, do not use it. Get a couple new Bosch 30A relays.

So you are saying I should fire a seperate relay for each pump. I am assuming the little cube relays that are used for everything else.

Latest posts

Members online