Fuel/water seperator

StrokinDuty

Reaction score
I did a little real world testing to see how much water is in the diesel where I fill up. I waited 2 months to drain my water separator and didn't get much if any water in my fuel. Are you guys getting much separation when you're drsining yours or do you just drain it and never really worry about it?

image_zpsf8qimc3c.jpg

uga33

Reaction score
I collect mine in a mason jar. I drain once a month. I've never had a drop of water come out of this truck, my 6.4, or my 6.0.

StrokinDuty

Reaction score
I collect mine in a mason jar. I drain once a month. I've never had a drop of water come out of this truck, my 6.4, or my 6.0.

I'm wondering if the separator is not very efficient. Some of the big rigs I used to service seems like they had a ton of water in the separators when I'd drain them. I know they are passing way more fuel through them but still makes me a little paranoid

Arconalloy

Reaction score
I never have a drop in mine either and have wondered the same I've even put it off longer than usual to see if anything popped up but nothing

Lipka101

Reaction score
hasn't been any in mine in the two years I've owned it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

JRLott

Reaction score
I drain mine every month. No water noted to date.

Last edited:

pdumont01

Reaction score
I drain mine whenever I think about it, and all the time before I retired I was getting a little every time I drained the customers wif.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jcain

Reaction score
I never got anything with my stock filter, all across the country. But this h&s set-up always has some water in the separator

CurtisF

Reaction score
I rarely saw water in my 7.3L, and still don't see anything in my 6.7L. I ain't skeered.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I always get water out of my 6.4. Not a ton but a noticeable amount at 3k miles. Just went 7k miles on my 6.7 not realizing how fast I was racking up the miles filled mostly from the same tank as the 6.4 and it did not have a single drop of water. I really don't understand. A simple donadson water separator filter for $10 has no problem separating water on equipment but this for set up doesn't seem to be doing anything

JRLott

Reaction score
Anyone have one of these? Are they worth $700, or is there an effective more economical option?

image.jpg

StrokinDuty

Reaction score
I never got anything with my stock filter, all across the country. But this h&s set-up always has some water in the separator

That's what i originally wanted to post, I'm thinking the seperater is inferior to other systems. It doesn't make sense to me that other trucks are having separation and my 6.7 isn't with the same fuel, kind of makes me worry

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Tge local Cummins shop did some pretty extensive testing of a bunch of our states fuel suppliers because of pump failures running rampant. I guess the best thing that came out of the tests was most of the station fuels were pretty dry, just not enough cetane for warranty spec, none if the stations tested was over 39, and Cummins needs at least 41. Also, private fuel storage was awful. They wouldn't give me all the details, but he said more than 90% of private stored fuel was unacceptable. Some had 30% water in it, and lots particulate. Now if you want a warranty done on pumps or fuels system in general at this dealer, you have to bring in the fuel test with you. I guess my point is, maybe the separators are not performing, but fuel supply varies wildly as well. And if you find a good station, stuck with them as much as you can. Here, it's my competitor J&H Oil, and AGO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StrokinDuty

Reaction score
For now I'm just going to keep doubling up on additive until I can replace the inferior fuel separation system, I hate putting all my trust in an additive...

CallMeColt

Reaction score
I had a scare when I forst got my truck.... it came out all clear. Then I realized the Shell I use has clear diesel. Never have gotten any water out though. South Texas is a dry place though. 128,000 miles & no issues for me.

Bavaria

Reaction score
How exactly do you drain it?
Must one bleed afterwards?
engine off or on idle?
Please advise, I am new and never had a truck like that.
Thank you

Latest posts

Members online