Garrett 38R 1.0 vs 1.15 dyno test

Tom S

Reaction score
The dyno is running a simulated load of 8500 Lbs., runs are in 3rd Gear with the T/C locked, and the 2000 RPM sweep takes about 9 seconds. I can run a heavier simulated load which will extend the dyno time to around 15 seconds depending on the load.

That sounds like a fine comparison to what how the truck might run on the street except for maybe the EGTs with more time.

Thanks for that Bill excellent information, enough to scratch the 1.15 off my extended to do list. Unless I go back to towing someday and needing to deal with surge which my truck does not have empty at my altitudes 5 to 10k with the 1.0. I do have one of the later 38r chargers that is louder.

sniper_101

Reaction score
I read you said no significant difference, but how noticeable was the difference in lag/spool with the different housings (curious for possible future use with my manual trans)? How well does the 38R hold up at these levels? What's the elevation at your dyno PHP?

These to-the-point, extremely informative threads with actual numbers and documentation are awesome, thanks!

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I had horrendous surge with the 1.00 housing and my 38R. Installed the 1.15 and no more surge.

My 38R has over 250k on it now, with 140k of that with the 1.15 housing.

Thats pretty impressive yours has lasted.that long. Have you done anything to it since.you originally deployed it?

Threads like this are.the.reason this.forum is top shelf.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Thats pretty impressive yours has lasted.that long. Have you done anything to it since.you originally deployed it?

Threads like this are.the.reason this.forum is top shelf.

Not since this one has been installed. Its leaked oil passed the exhaust forever, did it on my truck as well but at that point I had given up on it, and was running TN BB units.

csipsd..... did you ever run your wastegate. when you had the 1.0

Yes, with several tuners. Most of the issues had to do with 37's and 3.73's if I had to guess.

I think there is some difference there enough to make me curious.

They stopped production and retooled, why and what they changed I dont know.

Tom S

Reaction score
Same thoughts on the stop of production as Joe. Something I think was slightly redesigned to address surge.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
I was under the impression from my sources that the retooling was because the original castings for the compressor housing had been damaged or worn out in some way. I'm not aware of any "functional" changes.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I was under the impression from my sources that the retooling was because the original castings for the compressor housing had been damaged or worn out in some way. I'm not aware of any "functional" changes.

I figured that as well, which would also improve clearances, helping to fix the surge issues that had become so apparent.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Not sure how I missed all this goodness.

Bill - I know its a little late to do it now - but it would have been nice to see a higher load on the rollers in each configuration to better simulate what a truck might see towing. Just food for thought for any future testing.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
There weren't any changes. Joe is just retarded

Thats why every single user after the re-release has commented on how much louder the turbo is, no more reported surge issues, no more reported oil leaks... yup, they didn't change a thing...

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Thats why every single user after the re-release has commented on how much louder the turbo is, no more reported surge issues, no more reported oil leaks... yup, they didn't change a thing...

Every.... Single.... One?!!?!! Lol. I never had an issue with mine from years an years ago. Garrett didn't make a full line production change on the charger and that is straight from the horses mouth. After 7 years, I sure as hell figured you'd give up on riding that dead horse lol

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Every.... Single.... One?!!?!! Lol. I never had an issue with mine from years an years ago. Garrett didn't make a full line production change on the charger and that is straight from the horses mouth. After 7 years, I sure as hell figured you'd give up on riding that dead horse lol

They retooled the turbo, WTF part of that do you not understand? I said nothing of anything that they may of changed, the simple fact that the molds were replaced could cause the changes...

I'm not riding any dead horse, just commenting on my experiences with the turbo that I installed, ran, removed, warrantied and all the other crap... You seem to want to take it down another road...

Again, another case of your "new leaf" flipping over to the old bull****.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
They retooled the turbo, WTF part of that do you not understand? I said nothing of anything that they may of changed, the simple fact that the molds were replaced could cause the changes...

I'm not riding any dead horse, just commenting on my experiences with the turbo that I installed, ran, removed, warrantied and all the other crap... You seem to want to take it down another road...

Again, another case of your "new leaf" flipping over to the old bull****.

Lol, they did not change anything spec wise.... Sooooo unless the tech guy at Honeywell lied to me, you are confused and mislead.

I did turn over a new leaf, thank you for noticing. That new leaf however still carries no tolerance for people making other people dumber because they don't know what they are talking about. Now, if you have some before and after CAD or solid worxs drawings of the changes, or some diemensional differences that you collected, please, post up. If you are gonna continue to base your theory off facts like "so and so said its louder and it smells different" well then please stop.

Thanks joe

Latest posts

Members online