Go fast/make power Fab thread- Lets see your work.

zabeard

Reaction score
here is my project...

2003 Ford Ranger, 5.4L DOHC, 11.1 compression ratio, plenty of good stuff inside, head work, etc. Built 4r100, NP203/205 doubler, 5.13s, Dana60s front and rear, tubed chassis front and rear, front 3 link with 24ish inches of travel, rear wishbone/3link, 14" C/O up front, 16" C/O in the rear, 20 gallon fuel tank, 42" Rockers with 17" home made beadlocks, etc...

IMG_0801.png

2c200da0.png

823a6574.png

f07ed735.png

892592a4.png

4634d394.png

29811c5e.png

1f80a60a.png

101_01481024x768.png

101_01511024x768.png

Basically built to go anywhere, still working out the engine bugs though. Tranmission is funky too.

zabeard

Reaction score
Thanks guys, they are Dana60s from a 1978 1 ton Ford.

Here are a few more pictures of the front end work.

DSCF3257.png

DSCF3259.png

DSCF3282.png

pistonsrods.png

DSCF3284.png

I did everything besides the actual build of the 5.4L and the tuning of the engine.

zabeard

Reaction score
Wow! That things pretty business man. Looks killer. I couldnt imagine designing a front end like that.

lol, i couldnt either at first. Crazy thing was I hauled the truck to North Carolina for the test fit the 5.4... next thing I know I decided it was pointless to keep the front clip because I couldnt get the 5.4 low enough or as low as I wanted. So we just plasma cut the front end off and started bending tube around the 5.4. Finished it in 4 days. I figured we would end up that route, just not that soon. Bending tube is actually pretty fun.

Boostfed

Reaction score
What intake manifold is that? Navigator I'm guessing? Looks like it has been massaged a bit too maybe?

Love the front end. Did you use DVOM or Chromoly? That is a serious amount of bending and notching! That stuff, like you said, is fun once you learn some tricks to it and you don't have to do everything 3 times, lol. Truck looks fuggin Rowdy!

BTW- who'd you take it to in NC for the 5.4 mockup?

Last edited:

Erikclaw

Reaction score
That is one sweet home grown 4x4. Looks pretty lite too from the amt of tube framing. Seen it on youtube I believe. Bet it is fun to beat on. Have you launched it yet?

zabeard

Reaction score
What intake manifold is that? Navigator I'm guessing? Looks like it has been massaged a bit too maybe?

Love the front end. Did you use DVOM or Chromoly? That is a serious amount of bending and notching! That stuff, like you said, is fun once you learn some tricks to it and you don't have to do everything 3 times, lol. Truck looks fuggin Rowdy!

BTW- who'd you take it to in NC for the 5.4 mockup?

Yeah its stock navigator intake, its just missing the EGR system and the crossover which is supposed to equalize the air or something. Few other things were cleaned off and its powder coated.

This is what it looks like in stock form, its really covered up in the navigator.

DSCF2953.png

Here is what it came from, bought it off some goof in a back alley of Detroit, Mi crazy story that goes along with that.
DSCF2956.png

Ended up to have 2 cracked pistons, cracked block, crank was bad etc... So I bought a new block, Lightning 5.4L crank, then H beam rods, flat top pistons.

I used DOM on all of it, I dont have a tig machine for Chromoly (I wish though) and you are right, once you know the tricks and have the tools for bending and cutting tube it makes it a fun and challenging project.

I took it to a friend of mine in Albemarle, NC. He is mainly into Ford modular engines 4.6 and 5.4. He has built several for mustangs and lightnings. He used to have a shop but recently closed it and just does stuff out of his garage.

That is one sweet home grown 4x4. Looks pretty lite too from the amt of tube framing. Seen it on youtube I believe. Bet it is fun to beat on. Have you launched it yet?

Its actually pretty heavy. The wheels and tires are 200lbs each. Plus all the frame and the engine is ridiculous. It weighs in around 6k lbs. I wish it was like 4k but id have to do some serious trimming to get there. Thanks for the props though, I appreciate that. I put a lot of time into it. It is a blast to drive and beat on, lately I have been getting a bunch of grief from locals and the police about driving it on the road. So some of the fun will end soon I fear. :( lol

I did launch it once and it was rather interesting. Nothing broke but I didnt care for it. lol, this was before the cage, belts, etc so it wasnt the smartest idea.

jump.png

Lowdown89

Reaction score
That ranger is sick! I have one that's in the totally opposite direction flat on the ground lol... What kinda bender do y'all use? I have a harbor freight special and even with all sorts of tricks I learned over on pirate it's still more of a tube kinker haha

sgleshot

Reaction score
Yeah its stock navigator intake, its just missing the EGR system and the crossover which is supposed to equalize the air or something. Few other things were cleaned off and its powder coated.

This is what it looks like in stock form, its really covered up in the navigator.

DSCF2953.png

Here is what it came from, bought it off some goof in a back alley of Detroit, Mi crazy story that goes along with that.
DSCF2956.png

Ended up to have 2 cracked pistons, cracked block, crank was bad etc... So I bought a new block, Lightning 5.4L crank, then H beam rods, flat top pistons.

I used DOM on all of it, I dont have a tig machine for Chromoly (I wish though) and you are right, once you know the tricks and have the tools for bending and cutting tube it makes it a fun and challenging project.

I took it to a friend of mine in Albemarle, NC. He is mainly into Ford modular engines 4.6 and 5.4. He has built several for mustangs and lightnings. He used to have a shop but recently closed it and just does stuff out of his garage.

Its actually pretty heavy. The wheels and tires are 200lbs each. Plus all the frame and the engine is ridiculous. It weighs in around 6k lbs. I wish it was like 4k but id have to do some serious trimming to get there. Thanks for the props though, I appreciate that. I put a lot of time into it. It is a blast to drive and beat on, lately I have been getting a bunch of grief from locals and the police about driving it on the road. So some of the fun will end soon I fear. :( lol

I did launch it once and it was rather interesting. Nothing broke but I didnt care for it. lol, this was before the cage, belts, etc so it wasnt the smartest idea.

jump.png

I'm by no means tryin to be a dick, but how are you measuring your travel? I'm just not seeing how the 23 inches is possible with the way the coilovers are located. Are you measuring from full bump to full droop? It does look like a very clean build, I'm definilty a fan!

zabeard

Reaction score
That ranger is sick! I have one that's in the totally opposite direction flat on the ground lol... What kinda bender do y'all use? I have a harbor freight special and even with all sorts of tricks I learned over on pirate it's still more of a tube kinker haha

I use a Pro-Tools 105HD Bender

zabeard

Reaction score
I'm by no means tryin to be a dick, but how are you measuring your travel? I'm just not seeing how the 23 inches is possible with the way the coilovers are located. Are you measuring from full bump to full droop? It does look like a very clean build, I'm definilty a fan!

your not at all. I may have measured wrong and its been a while but I believe I measured out at the hub and cycled the suspension without coils on the shocks.

is there a different way people measure it?

sgleshot

Reaction score
your not at all. I may have measured wrong and its been a while but I believe I measured out at the hub and cycled the suspension without coils on the shocks.

usually the way I measure is from the axle bottomed out on the frame to the point where the shocks will not allow it to travel anymore. the only reason I was questioning the travel is that with 14" travel shocks mounted with minimal angle directly above the axle it wouldnt allow for much more than 14 inches of travel being that the shock will limit the travel to 14 inches. where as if the shock was mounted at an angle, or further back on the suspension link it would allow for more travel out of the suspension.

Example of my rear suspension

2011-05-03_21-55-23_646.jpg

having a slight angle on the shock along with having the shock mounted forward of axle centerline on the suspension link allows us to stay within out class rules with a 14 inch travel shock, yet at the same time pulling a true 22 inches of travel from complete bump to complete droop.

front suspension

legs stretched
lima3.jpg

at ride height

lima2-1.jpg

can see that the front is a little less travel, only 17". the shock is mounted to the arms, but not as far away from axle centerline, therefor only having 17 inches of travel.

Last edited:

sgleshot

Reaction score

as I say, definitly not commin down on ya, love the build, but I know that theres other forums on the interweb that are brutal about **** like that. Its unfortunate. Id rather just clarify than destroy.

zabeard

Reaction score
as I say, definitly not commin down on ya, love the build, but I know that theres other forums on the interweb that are brutal about **** like that. Its unfortunate. Id rather just clarify than destroy.

nah its cool, i understand where you are coming from with your measurements. Would some not call it wheel travel and also call it suspension travel? Im just asking. In the grand scheme of things it doesnt matter to me what amount of travel I actually have it seems to be enough for what i do. ;)

oh and those other sites... haha i know what ones you are talking about.

Last edited:

sgleshot

Reaction score
nah its cool, i understand where you are coming from with your measurements. Would some not call it wheel travel and also call it suspension travel? Im just asking. In the grand scheme of things it doesnt matter to me what amount of travel I actually have it seems to be enough for what i do. ;)

oh and those other sites... haha i know what ones you are talking about.

true, some call it wheel travel and some call it suspension travel, both should be the same numbers i would think.

Like ya said, so long as it gets the job done it doesnt matter:thumbup:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.