Going to try a new setup

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I need a little help, the power under the curve. What exactly does this mean? I have read and heard people say this, but I really don't understand it. From what I gather it means it makes more power under the curve than the graph states? So it doesn't read accurately? But that makes no sense so I have to have it wrong.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
The power below peak power. Our trucks typically have a very flat curve, therefore power under the curve is pretty damn close to peak power. Most tuner only trucks hold above 500 horsepower for a lot of RPM.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I need a little help, the power under the curve. What exactly does this mean? I have read and heard people say this, but I really don't understand it. From what I gather it means it makes more power under the curve than the graph states? So it doesn't read accurately? But that makes no sense so I have to have it wrong.

every dyno graph has a "peak" hp, thats where the number comes from, thats the maximum power that was made during the run.

Power UNDER the curve is basically "average" hp

So if you look at your graph from any dyno, you will notice that the graph looks pretty flat, thats a good thing, that means that before and after peak power, its still making good power.

Now go look at about any cummins or a big turbo'd trucks graph you will see that the peak power looks more like a mountain than a table top, thats considered to be "peaky" power, which isnt as good, sure the power might be better than some, but its not always a good thing. The key is to make the graph look as flat as possible with a decent "peak" number

Generally speaking a 600 peak hp dodge will be slower than a 600 peak hp powerstroke, simply because you cannot keep the engine at "peak" power all the time, unless you had a cvt trans. So durring shifts when your above and below the peak hp the average hp isnt as good.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
a big peak number is cool for winning dyno events, but having power through out the whole curve is where you get you driveability. Here is a graph of the same truck, before and after some gate tuning. Same peak number but the blue line shows the power coming on way sooner. and is now alot funner to drive.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1319431246028.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1319431246028.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 145

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The power below peak power. Our trucks typically have a very flat curve, therefore power under the curve is pretty damn close to peak power. Most tuner only trucks hold above 500 horsepower for a lot of RPM.

right, good example.

if i remeber right they start making 500 hp @ 2200 rpm maybe even sooner and dont drop below 500 hp till after 3500 rpm when peak power may only be 560-570. so the power difference is only 50 hp from peak to average

Now look at a dodge alot of times they wont even make 500 hp till say 2500 and then they drop below 500 hp @ 3000

Dzchey21

Reaction score
a big peak number is cool for winning dyno events, but having power through out the whole curve is where you get you driveability. Here is a graph of the same truck, before and after some gate tuning. Same peak number but the blue line shows the power coming on way sooner. and is now alot funner to drive.

nice visual aid LOL

mike@haller's

Reaction score
here is one more to show how dodges are peaky. The blue line is a twin turbo commonrail dodge. The red line is a 6.4 with max powers. The dodge was very smoky and spooled really slow. The ford lit up and just did work.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1319431987984.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1319431987984.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 160

JDub

Reaction score
here is one more to show how dodges are peaky. The blue line is a twin turbo commonrail dodge. The red line is a 6.4 with max powers. The dodge was very smoky and spooled really slow. The ford lit up and just did work.

And that Ford will destroy that Dodge on the street!

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I get it now. I understood the peak power and how a flat curve is way more desirable than a peaky one. The power under the curve term threw me.

Last edited:

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I think Dustin is still on the stock intercooler with no issues. I still have the stock one as well. 120,000 miles. I don't make the power Dustin makes though.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
I highly doubt you will put enough pressure to bust the plastic in the intercooler.. Schedule 80 PVC pipe is rated for ~167psi operating pressure (6" diameter) and it isnt even ribbed or etc. like the intercooler.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.