Got real mad today. Cold-started truck,POURING smoke, wouldn't go anywhere.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You sir are retarded! If you wont let it warm up atleast plug your truck in at night.

I'm retarded because... I don't let my truck idle for 30mins before I drive? I fail to see your logic.

then why the *** are you on this site askin for suggestions if you think im wasting time.
im not the one with the problem so i guess i i dont give a ***.
live life full throttle

I made it to see why my truck would physically not go past 1800rpms or so. I'm sure it has to do with the cold, but I have received any concrete answers on the factual and literal reasons behind it. Yes, I'm sure it was pissy and cold. But out of my 5 diesels with hundreds of thousands of miles on themm all, this has nehver ahppened before and was wondering why it did.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
I'm retarded because... I don't let my truck idle for 30mins before I drive? I fail to see your logic.

I made it to see why my truck would physically not go past 1800rpms or so. I'm sure it has to do with the cold, but I have received any concrete answers on the factual and literal reasons behind it. Yes, I'm sure it was pissy and cold. But out of my 5 diesels with hundreds of thousands of miles on themm all, this has nehver ahppened before and was wondering why it did.

Why the hell would you let it idle for 30 mins......

Let it idle for 10 mins and be done....

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Why the hell would you let it idle for 30 mins......

Let it idle for 10 mins and be done....

See lincoln lockers input.

10mins is still excessive. Drve it easy the first few miles and keep the throttle down until the temp gauge moves and I've never had problems woth 2minute warmups

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Never had an unhappy motor yet in all my travels :shrug:

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
So care to explain why idling a diesel does nothing?

My truck runs and drives better if I let it idle for 10 mins in the winter before I drive it.....

But then again you know everything so why do you ask anyone for advice?

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Never had an unhappy motor yet in all my travels :shrug:

LMAO See your first post, you know the one where it doesnt rev over 1800 and your belching smoke everywhere. That is not an unhappy motor?

Also, you know that cold oil you don't see a benefit to letting warm up before you go? What do you think is used to fire the injectors? What do you think is used to physically actuate the EBPV?

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
So care to explain why idling a diesel does nothing?

My truck runs and drives better if I let it idle for 10 mins in the winter before I drive it.....

But then again you know everything so why do you ask anyone for advice?

Diesels run so efficiently that the amount of waste heat produced, especially at idle, is near zero. I can see a minute or two, to get the oil flowing, mechanical parts covered, and give the motor time to heat up evenly. But you'll warm the motor oil tranny etc up much better driving easily than just idling it.

I digress, my question still hasn't been answered... That's the irony in your statement. I asked what physically caused my condition, and I've not heard much fact just opinion.

LMAO See your first post, you know the one where it doesnt rev over 1800 and your belching smoke everywhere. That is not an unhappy motor?

Also, you know that cold oil you don't see a benefit to letting warm up before you go? What do you think is used to fire the injectors? What do you think is used to physically actuate the EBPV?

Yes I know the oil fires the injectors... Hence the "heui" portion of "huei injection" :p

Yes I think I could have used slightly longer warm up than 25seconds... Today I gave it 2 mins and I was set.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
I digress, my question still hasn't been answered... That's the irony in your statement. I asked what physically caused my condition, and I've not heard much fact just opinion.

Go use google then.....

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
You're right that diesels are efficient off idle compared to a gas engine.
However there is still enough wasted energy in the form of heat to bring oil and coolant up to near operating temps in a short period of time. I can take a 10 min video of my EOT and ECT gauges if you don't believe the temps will increase.
Using your own logic (diesels being efficient at idle), why wouldn't you let your truck warm up? Run out and start it 10min before you need, head back inside, take a sh!t, head to work. Running a diesel cold is extremely inefficient. Not only do you have insufficient cylinder temps for proper combustion, but our trucks you have thick oil firing injectors.
I'd be willing to bet if you compared fuel consumption from a 10min idle period + a certain distance with that same distance starting cold they would be fairly close.

To answer your question, I'd say a combination of closed EBPV, advanced timing, and HPOP struggling to build adequate pressure with thick oil all contributed to it bogging down at 1800rpm.

My general rule of thumb is to keep rpm below 1500 and boost below 5 psi until EOT and ECT are within operating range. This will ensure warm oil has reached the turbo for proper lubrication.

TyCorr

Reaction score
then why the *** are you on this site askin for suggestions if you think im wasting time.
im not the one with the problem so i guess i i dont give a ***.
live life full throttle

Go to.settings, hit edit.ignore list, and type in 85_503.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My oil doesnt look that thick before a.cold.startup. Not sure what kinda molasses you guys are using when its in single digits or less. Should be 5w30. Or 5w40 syn.

I dont plug anything in, dont let it idle, and I leave my hot tune loaded all the time. The difference between my hot tune and.a.stock tune is nothing at less than half.throttle. I have two miles of30 mph before the highway and with od locked out the first mile on the highway it.heats quick. I pass the.first.bridge turn od back on and zero issues. 265k miles worth.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
My oil doesnt look that thick before a.cold.startup. Not sure what kinda molasses you guys are using when its in single digits or less. Should be 5w30. Or 5w40 syn.

I dont plug anything in, dont let it idle, and I leave my hot tune loaded all the time. The difference between my hot tune and.a.stock tune is nothing at less than half.throttle. I have two miles of30 mph before the highway and with od locked out the first mile on the highway it.heats quick. I pass the.first.bridge turn od back on and zero issues. 265k miles worth.

Damn right bud.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
85 305 I'm seeing a trend in your threads.

What trend is that? Not listening to peoples ****? I've seen one person accidently answer my initial inquiry stating its due to poor injector operation with cold oil. I don't need people telling me to warm my truck up for 30mins and talking to me like I haven't driven and owned tons of diesels.

Latest posts

Members online