Got real mad today. Cold-started truck,POURING smoke, wouldn't go anywhere.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
One thing I dont know, how long will they high idle for? Is it something that it coolant/oil temp related, as in when it gets to a certain point it kicks down? Or does it high idle until you start to drive it no matter how long?

High idle on a SD is controlled by what the outside air temp is. If it's down below 30* F it won't matter if the truck has driven 80 miles, it will return to high idle once the truck is parked for a few mins.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
thats why I've been saying I drive it very very gently for the first few miles, less the other day when traffic started coming faster than I'd have liked and tried getting out of their way.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
must have never seen a cracked block from cold starts either.

live life full throttle

Really? International made a motor that will crack by merely starting it in the cold? Surprised nobodies filed a lawsuit on that or something.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Do you even know anything about diesel engines and how they work?

I've owned 5, put hundreds of thousands of miles on my own diesels, and driven an array of other diesels from 300hp cats to 500hp detroits.

No, I know nothing about them.

And no, I've never had to start a vehicle in -20* ski-country weather or had to deal with this horrific "block splitting" that occurs from starting a diesel in the cold in all my travels around the world.:doh:

Last edited:

onebad7.3

Reaction score
always.jpg

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Its 20* outside right now, oil temp is 19*..... Yeah Im not gonna let it idle for two mins then drive slowly with no heat, a cold engine and a cold trans.....

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
A 20* day is warm for ski country. I haven't had issues warming up for 2mins then driving off in any of my vehicles, in all my miles.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
A 20* day is warm for ski country. I haven't had issues warming up for 2mins then driving off in any of my vehicles, in all my miles.

Ski country?

If I live in ski country then where are the snow bunnies?

Corn fed girls out number the non con fed ones here.....

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'm saying that I live in ski country, and 20* is a rather warm day around here.

Latest posts

Members online