H.p.o.d.s.

Superblazin

Reaction score
Looking for more information and discussion on high pressure oil delivery systems, For injectors under 205 cc ( not a dual pump discussion)

I have read about Diesel sites set up and the testing that Bill over at PHP did on his truck. I believe his results netted 20-40 hp.

I would have to go back and read the thread but did he also put in a fresh hpop at the same time?

Has any one else done any testing of the hpods either diesel sites or home made with before and after numbers?

Do our trucks really benefit from it? Or with a fresh stock pump be also netting similarly hp results ?

Spectre32

Reaction score
The system appears to make a truck run smoother and the desired ICP pressure is maintained through out the RPM range. I don't think the testing was done on a larger set of injectors however. The revamp of the oil distribution system yields a more consistent and true ICP reading. I have heard a truck run with a HPODS and it was significantly more smooth than a normal HEUI truck. A purr similar to a CR fuel system based truck. That being said there is a awful lot of clutter to a already cluttered engine compartment. Good luck if your trying to run that twins, and external coolant/oil coolers.

strokin6L

Reaction score
But if a truck is already maintaining ICP...what's the point of it really? And if you're running large injectors that don't maintain ICP....why not just add a dual hpop. Can just adding a hpods with a stock pump maintain ICP when running 300cc+ injectors without adding a second hpop?

strokin6L

Reaction score
There's more too it Chris than just ICP...

Well I guess that's what I'm not getting then. What other reason would there be to add it if ICP is fine? A smoother idle isn't gonna sell me on it. Has to be a lot more than that. Plus the clutter alone under the hood makes it not worth it for me haha.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Bills data logging proves it works, no reason to second guess it, the proof is there. One is going on my truck, we will see how it goes.

Hellen Keller sent this?

MorganY

Reaction score
Not to argue Morgan, but do you have any info to support this??

No worries. I know the HPODS does what it is supposed to, no question. Works great, especially for large injectors. Smooths out the engine, equalize the high pressure oil system (better), and more volume for our high pressure oil system.

My response was in question to if the HPODS was worth buying for a 190/75 injector setup. My answer no is from a horsepower per dollar standpoint. 4.65v will be maintained at maximum pulse width for a (Edit: Note> PROPERLY BUILT) 190/75 injector. Sure the HPODS will smooth out idle, but will it really make for a noticeable difference at wide open throttle for such a small injector? No. Sure, extremely small gains may be noted, but not much to feel.

Now. If we are referring to a 205/100+ injector size, yes, this WOULD make a noticeable difference. The injector is at the threshold of a stock oil system, and likely won't maintain perfect ICP, close, but not full. With the HPODS there would be more volume on tap, and that is where your hp gains come from. The ability to maintain more ICP longer at the same pulse width, as opposed to a factory oil system under the same conditions for injectors with a substantial amount of oil usage.

Last edited:

windrunner408

Reaction score
No worries. I know the HPODS does what it is supposed to, no question. Works great, especially for large injectors. Smooths out the engine, equalize the high pressure oil system (better), and more volume for our high pressure oil system.

My response was in question to if the HPODS was worth buying for a 190/75 injector setup. My answer no is from a horsepower per dollar standpoint. 4.65v will be maintained at maximum pulse width for a (Edit: Note> PROPERLY BUILT) 190/75 injector. Sure the HPODS will smooth out idle, but will it really make for a noticeable difference at wide open throttle for such a small injector? No. Sure, extremely small gains may be noted, but not much to feel.

Now. If we are referring to a 205/100+ injector size, yes, this WOULD make a noticeable difference. The injector is at the threshold of a stock oil system, and likely won't maintain perfect ICP, close, but not full. With the HPODS there would be more volume on tap, and that is where your hp gains come from. The ability to maintain more ICP longer at the same pulse width, as opposed to a factory oil system under the same conditions for injectors with a substantial amount of oil usage.

I got ya man. I agree 100%. No question about it, the $/hp value isn't there for guys with 'properly built' small to medium injectors like it would be for guys with the large/medium to really big hybrid injectors.

strokin6L

Reaction score
So the hpods is adding more volume to the rails. Doesn't dieselsite's billet adrenaline hpop also add more volume? What benefits does the hpods have over the high output adrenaline hpop? Guys are saying quieter smoother idle with the hpods....I've also heard the same from guys installing the adrenaline hpop.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
The 05-07 guys haven't had the option until here recently on doing HPOP, the only option out there from Bill was the HPODS system.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
So the hpods is adding more volume to the rails. Doesn't dieselsite's billet adrenaline hpop also add more volume? What benefits does the hpods have over the high output adrenaline hpop? Guys are saying quieter smoother idle with the hpods....I've also heard the same from guys installing the adrenaline hpop.

The hpods eliminates the downfall in the 04.5+ delivery system. The pressure drop spikes from the pump to the passenger side valve cover are significant enough to hinder performance and icp consistency on even a stock truck. Feeding both inlets on the rail and moving the icp sensor to to a centralized location, AFTER both oil rails allows for equal and more accurate icp to each rail. Its a similar concept to a regulated return. Its not about adding volume, because really its the pump that measures that, if the injector size is sti too large the stock pump just cant keep up hpods or not. A properly sized and properly built injector will benefit from this system, even stock trucks. To some it wont be worth it, im debating of installing one before putting the new adrenaline in to see if it helps my loss of icp

Hellen Keller sent this?

HOOV3R

Reaction score
I recall Diesel Site recommending HPODS with the use of an Adrenaline pump due to the poor design of the 04.5+ system.

TooMuch03

Reaction score
Feeding both inlets on the rail and moving the icp sensor to to a centralized location, AFTER both oil rails allows for equal and more accurate icp to each rail. Its a similar concept to a regulated return.

You were 100% correct that the HPODS doesn't add volume, the pump would have to do that. It is supposed to minimize pressure drop in the delivery system. How much it actually does, if at all, is pretty much unknown. (If you want to point to Bill's test, we can open that can of worms later). The issue I take with the post is quoted above. The two sentences contradict themselves and are not true. The HPODS is essentially a parrellel delivery system to the stock stand pipes and branch tubes. There is no regulated return aspect to it whatsoever. In fact a regulated return system wouldn't work since the output of the pump is what is regulted by the IPR, and hydraulic pulses and harmonic effects resulting from the injectors opening and closing would wreak havoc on the return portion of the system. The ICP sensor is not relocated after the oil rails. It is placed inline between the pump and the rails, as it should be to allow the system to function properly.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I recall Diesel Site recommending HPODS with the use of an Adrenaline pump due to the poor design of the 04.5+ system.

Kinda hard when the adrenaline pump isn't out for the 04.5-07 trucks. Now there are guys with 03-04 trucks running just an adrenaline pump Without some sort of hpods and hold ICP and run just fine

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Kinda hard when the adrenaline pump isn't out for the 04.5-07 trucks. Now there are guys with 03-04 trucks running just an adrenaline pump Without some sort of hpods and hold ICP and run just fine

I know it's not out yet, but that is still what I was told. 03-04 design doesn't have the same issues with icp fluctuations like the 04.5+ do.

Idiesel

Reaction score
Does the oil supply from the pump come from the plug by the ipr sensor to the distribution block if you are gonna run the one pump 04.5+ pump?

Latest posts

Members online