H.p.o.d.s.

MorganY

Reaction score
There is more oil volume on tap with the hpods.

Same concept moving from log style rails, to 04.5+. Go from 15cc rails, to 30cc rails. Someone tell me how it doesn't.

You're physically increasing the capacity of high pressure oil in the system, when you do that you reduce pressure drops....allowing you to maintain higher ICP, longer..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TooMuch03

Reaction score
There is more oil volume on tap with the hpods.

Same concept moving from log style rails, to 04.5+. Go from 15cc rails, to 30cc rails. Someone tell me how it doesn't.

You're physically increasing the capacity of high pressure oil in the system, when you do that you reduce pressure drops....allowing you to maintain higher ICP, longer..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I guess I assumed (you know what they say about assuming) that Greg was referring to the volume into the system, more accurately the volumetric flow rate into the system, which would only be a product of the pump. Increasing the volume of the rails/delivery system doesn't increase the volumetric flow rate into the system.

If we really want to be technical, increasing the volume of the system will not necessarily decrease the pressure drop across the system. Increasing the cross-sectional area of the flow path, and the resulting increase in effeciency, is the actual reason for the decrease in pressure drop across the system, in general that is.

MorganY

Reaction score
I guess I assumed (you know what they say about assuming) that Greg was referring to the volume into the system, more accurately the volumetric flow rate into the system, which would only be a product of the pump. Increasing the volume of the rails/delivery system doesn't increase the volumetric flow rate into the system.

If we really want to be technical, increasing the volume of the system will not necessarily decrease the pressure drop across the system. Increasing the cross-sectional area of the flow path, and the resulting increase in effeciency, is the actual reason for the decrease in pressure drop across the system, in general that is.

Indeed, which corrects my above statements regarding the pressure drop. Cracked open the book for that one :morons:

But...the volumetric flow rate of the IS changing into the rails with the hpods, is it not? Volumetric flow rate is proportional to cross sectional area, and flow velocity. Where flow velocity is the flow rate of the pump and the fluid...

Something with V_flow or CS area is the key.. HRT needs to be in here.

How else would you get the gains from large injectors and the hpods? You are physically atomizing better/longer. The flow rate of the pump doesn't change...

Last edited:

TooMuch03

Reaction score
Indeed, which corrects my above statements regarding the pressure drop. Cracked open the book for that one :morons:

But...the volumetric flow rate of the IS changing into the rails with the hpods, is it not? Volumetric flow rate is proportional to cross sectional area, and flow velocity. Where flow velocity is the flow rate of the pump and the fluid...

Something with V_flow or CS area is the key.. HRT needs to be in here.

How else would you get the gains from large injectors and the hpods? You are physically atomizing better/longer. The flow rate of the pump doesn't change...

I would tend to agree with what you are saying here. Increasing the area of the delivery system will certainly create less resistance to the flow from the pump. Less pressure drop would definitely result in higher actual injection pressures, and also shorter recovery time, .

Unfortunately the HPODS doesn't help much with the issues of the rails themselves, namely variation in injection pressure from one injector to the next.

I really like threads that go like this one

windrunner408

Reaction score
Morgan, look at this way man. The pump(s) (stock or aftermarket. Sing or dual) are only capable of putting out a given amount of flow at a certain pressure right at their outlet. As soon as you start adding any length of hose, bends in the system, constrictions in cross-sectional diameter, etc.; you instantly start restricting the actual volume that will be able to make it to the 'end of the line' (as we'll call it) with respect to what is coming straight from the discharge end of the pump. Considering that BOTH the OEM HPO system AND the Diesel Site HPODS both feed to some point on the oil rails, the major improvement made by adding a parallel feed system is that it just gives a second point of entry for the oil so that the path/distance that the oil has to travel to make it to the injectors is shorter, thus increasing efficiency by allowing for it to be refilled quicker. In the case of the passenger side oil rail (after installing an HPODS), the longest distance that the oil travels after reaching the rail is to injectors 3 and 5 (as opposed to coming in between 5 and 7 and having to travel all the way to 3 and 5); but in the case of the driver's side head, since the oil is fed right near injector 8, the oil still has to travel the length of the oil rail to make it all the way to injector 2, and therefore the increase in efficiency to that rail is not going to be nearly what the increase in efficiency is in the passenger oil rail. And without and real data, it's all conjecture on what the increases/gains actually are. Hope this makes sense.

EDIT: Adam posted just as I was posting LOL :eek:wned:

Last edited:

windrunner408

Reaction score
I would tend to agree with what you are saying here. Increasing the area of the delivery system will certainly create less resistance to the flow from the pump. Less pressure drop would definitely result in higher actual injection pressures, and also shorter recovery time, .

Unfortunately the HPODS doesn't help much with the issues of the rails themselves, namely variation in injection pressure from one injector to the next.

I really like threads that go like this one

:whs:^^^ Basically improves delivery to the rails with very little improvement to the insides of the rails...

Vizsla

Reaction score
Morgan, look at this way man. The pump(s) (stock or aftermarket. Sing or dual) are only capable of putting out a given amount of flow at a certain pressure right at their outlet. As soon as you start adding any length of hose, bends in the system, constrictions in cross-sectional diameter, etc.; you instantly start restricting the actual volume that will be able to make it to the 'end of the line' (as we'll call it) with respect to what is coming straight from the discharge end of the pump. Considering that BOTH the OEM HPO system AND the Diesel Site HPODS both feed to some point on the oil rails, the major improvement made by adding a parallel feed system is that it just gives a second point of entry for the oil so that the path/distance that the oil has to travel to make it to the injectors is shorter, thus increasing efficiency by allowing for it to be refilled quicker. In the case of the passenger side oil rail (after installing an HPODS), the longest distance that the oil travels after reaching the rail is to injectors 3 and 5 (as opposed to coming in between 5 and 7 and having to travel all the way to 3 and 5); but in the case of the driver's side head, since the oil is fed right near injector 8, the oil still has to travel the length of the oil rail to make it all the way to injector 2, and therefore the increase in efficiency to that rail is not going to be nearly what the increase in efficiency is in the passenger oil rail. And without and real data, it's all conjecture on what the increases/gains actually are. Hope this makes sense.

I'm confused by this. The HPOD adds a feed to both the passenger and driver side rail.

MorganY

Reaction score

I see what you are saying; however, our hoses, rails, etc. [restrictions] give us our pressure, our pumps do not. Our pumps give us some volumetric flow (mass flow rate/density of the fluid).

Also, in general, the length of the line is directly related to the pressure change. More line, larger delta pressure change. Our length does not decrease the amount of volume. Volume is increased with length not decreased.

What you are saying however is the hpods allows the injection system to have less of a pressure drop (highlighted in red) as I was saying earlier.... to have less of a pressure drop throughout the system, giving us longer sustained pressures throughout the rpms, no? To do that, you need more volume, yes?

This is how I tend to wrap my head around it...Giving the rails more supply v_flow rate because it is tied into the test port (assuming the check valves flow towards the rails, and not the rails towards the test port)... More v_flow rate with the same restrictions in the rails, with no CS area change in the rails, gives us more pressure from less of a pressure drop... via Hagen–Poiseuille's law...?

Last edited:

Idiesel

Reaction score
The way I'm understanding it is the branch tube can only flow so much when injectors are running at peak demand so to help with more volume we add another inlet port to even rail psi and add volume. From what I've gathered the pump still has a bit more volume to offer we just can't get enough through the tubes.

Edit(The best way to to check if it's true the branch tubes are flowing enough would be adding a sensor at the test port vs the rail. Has anyone tried this?)

Last edited:

windrunner408

Reaction score
I'm confused by this. The HPOD adds a feed to both the passenger and driver side rail.

The flow path for the HPODS is from the test port on the HPOP to a distribution block that splits the flow and sends it to the ICP sensor ports on each oil rail. The ICP sensor on the passenger side oil rail is relocated to the oil distribution block. Since both oil rails are the same physically, the passenger side has it's ICP port in the 1 and 3 injector area and the driver's side has the ICP port in the 6 and 8 injector area (it's been a little bit since I looked at the oil rail). In order to run a HPODS, a passenger side valve cover must be sourced separately, uncover gasket, and a modification to the CCV. Hope this clears it up better.

windrunner408

Reaction score
...This is how I tend to wrap my head around it...Giving the rails more supply v_flow rate because it is tied into the test port (assuming the check valves flow towards the rails, and not the rails towards the test port)... More v_flow rate with the same restrictions in the rails, with no CS area change in the rails, gives us more pressure from less of a pressure drop... via Hagen–Poiseuille's law...?

That is pretty much it man.

windrunner408

Reaction score
The way I'm understanding it is the branch tube can only flow so much when injectors are running at peak demand so to help with more volume we add another inlet port to even rail psi and add volume. From what I've gathered the pump still has a bit more volume to offer we just can't get enough through the tubes.

This is pretty much seems to be the case.

Edit(The best way to to check if it's true the branch tubes are flowing enough would be adding a sensor at the test port vs the rail. Has anyone tried this?)

The best way to do it IMO, would be to put a sensor at the test port, the point where the oil enters the rail(s) from the stand pipes, and at the injector(s) furthest from the point of oil entry into the rails [both before and after the installation of the HPODS, as that(those) injector(s) will change as the system configuration is changed]. And no, that has not been done to my knowledge.

Idiesel

Reaction score
I'd be willing to try it soon as I get my engine converted. Wonder how much it would help. It would be a definite eye opener if you could run even just one set bigger injectors on a stock pump. Instead of just 205s

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
If you put a gauge on the pump. A gauge on the rails. If you seen 4000 at the pump and 2500 at the rails. I would buy that we need a better delivery system. But if you have 3750 at the pump and 3750 at the rails then the factory delivery system is doing its job. Put 225s in. If you have3000 at the pump and 3000 at the rails. Then that means the pump cant keep up. Not the delivery system. You need a higher volume pump. WSte of money in my mine.

Dieselsite

Reaction score
When we measure ICP, we are simply measuring the average(over time) pressure in the sensor location. This sensor and monitoring circuit is very slow. It does not show how big the pressure waves are. In the case of the 2003, that location is in the pump outlet, and in the case of the 2004.5-2007, that location is in the passenger side head. We are not measuring the system pressure as a whole, and we certainly are not measuring the pressure in the inlet of the injector where the largest pressure drop occurs. In fact, we don’t usually think of it in this depth, but in any HEUI system, the pressure in the injector body must go from 0 psi to system ICP (500-4000) in less than a millisecond! Think about it this way. The injector piston has 0 psi on the piston, but in, for example 3 milliseconds PW, the oil must pressurize the space and move the piston in that time frame. We ASSUME the pressure inside the injector inlet is what we see on the ICP sensor, but we know that is not probably even possible to attain let alone to measure. Worse yet, in the case of the ’03 models, you are measuring the pressure in the outlet of the pump and making the assumption that you are maintaining ICP, but the fact it is you’re not even close to maintaining.

The most basic thing to understand about fluid dynamics is that pressure does not equalize until it stops moving. As long as oil is moving, there are many factors that play a role in the pressure loss including length of tubing, friction on the side walls of the tubing, pressure demanded at the end of the system, and maximum flow of the fluid pump.

There are only two ways of increasing pressure at the end of an existing system (a system with no changes made to it). One is to increase the size of the pump, and the other is to increase the pressure regulator setting. Since our pressure is already maxed out, our only option is to increase the size of the pump - which only further increases head pressure.

When we discovered the head pressure was already considerably higher than rail pressure even in stock trucks, we decided to fix the problem and created the HPODS. It was necessary before installing the new larger pumps as they only exaggerate the issue.

In the case of Bill’s charts, He was not measuring HP. He was simply measuring the differences in ICP from the pump outlet to the ICP port in the 2004.5 rail. The problem was that the sensors max out at 5000 psi and he flatlined the pump outlet sensor while “maintaining” ICP in the rail. The pump sensor was still climbing when it hit its limit. The 20-40 hp numbers being thrown around were simply someone’s guess. In fact, significant HP gains are not uncommon with an HPODS install.

To illustrate: We have a 2005 truck in here right now getting the new 05-07 Adrenaline prototype installed. It has stock injectors, PHP FICM, SCT performance tune, Dieselsite EGR delete, our 05-07 Wicked Wheel, and a stock HPOP. The truck was dynoed last week at 412hp in this configuration. We immediately installed the HPODS and at ~ 487hp, the transmission would slip. We are going to replace the solenoid first (easier and faster than pulling transmission), and if that doesn’t fix it, then a new custom built heavy duty Dieselsite 5R110 trans (official release date of January 1st 2014) will go in this weekend so that we can get a good solid run without slippage.

The “I can maintain ICP, so I don’t need it” mentality is unfortunate once you realize the facts. If maintaining was the only factor in play, why would the HPODS effect how the engine idled? The fact that the engine smooths out and becomes more responsive should tell you that it has far more to do with the VOLUME delivered than the actual pressure. This increase in volume delivered to the heads decreases the time it takes for the injector to fill, pressurize, and inject the quantity of fuel it holds. When anybody installs an HPODS correctly, the results are always the same. The power difference is incredible, the engine sounds more like a CR, and in almost all cases, the oil temps are slightly less. That would be attributed to less actual ICP at the pump to make the desired ICP in the heads where it matters.

The personal issue I have had with my design of the HPODS is the need to relocate the CCV. I apologize that I have been slow in working on several ideas and will obviously keep everyone informed when something comes to fruition. I also would like to adapt the system to work with the 2003 models in the future as well. For now, you can purchase it as it has always come and buy a few extra parts to install it.

It is this simple: IF YOU OWN A 6.0L PSD THEN YOU NEED THE HPODS. It is far more important than a pump swap and in fact, is necessary before even considering one. Replacing the stock pump may not be necessary and if a larger pump is needed for larger injector sizes, the larger pump will last longer and perform better with the restrictions removed. No one with a 6.0L engine should be without it.

It is what it is pricewise. There’s not much I can do to change that. That’s how much it costs to make quality superior parts. Our HPODS distribution block has two flow control valves that match the stand-pipes in the heads. The lines are factory high pressure teflon static discharge stainless braided line. You don’t buy these at your local hydraulic shop. They are factory assemblies ordered from the manufacturers of the hose. Then, they are covered in Firesleeve. This prevents any oil leak (should it ever happen) from spraying on hot components. It also insulates the hot oil lines from melting any plastic they would touch. How you spend your money is your own choice. But you’ll never make the pressures you want or need without this item. Although I wish you could, those who think you can duplicate the parts I make and include, for a few hundred dollars in parts are sadly mistaken.

60HPODSDYNO.jpg

strokin6L

Reaction score
When we measure ICP, we are simply measuring the average(over time) pressure in the sensor location. This sensor and monitoring circuit is very slow. It does not show how big the pressure waves are. In the case of the 2003, that location is in the pump outlet, and in the case of the 2004.5-2007, that location is in the passenger side head. We are not measuring the system pressure as a whole, and we certainly are not measuring the pressure in the inlet of the injector where the largest pressure drop occurs. In fact, we don’t usually think of it in this depth, but in any HEUI system, the pressure in the injector body must go from 0 psi to system ICP (500-4000) in less than a millisecond! Think about it this way. The injector piston has 0 psi on the piston, but in, for example 3 milliseconds PW, the oil must pressurize the space and move the piston in that time frame. We ASSUME the pressure inside the injector inlet is what we see on the ICP sensor, but we know that is not probably even possible to attain let alone to measure. Worse yet, in the case of the ’03 models, you are measuring the pressure in the outlet of the pump and making the assumption that you are maintaining ICP, but the fact it is you’re not even close to maintaining.

The most basic thing to understand about fluid dynamics is that pressure does not equalize until it stops moving. As long as oil is moving, there are many factors that play a role in the pressure loss including length of tubing, friction on the side walls of the tubing, pressure demanded at the end of the system, and maximum flow of the fluid pump.

There are only two ways of increasing pressure at the end of an existing system (a system with no changes made to it). One is to increase the size of the pump, and the other is to increase the pressure regulator setting. Since our pressure is already maxed out, our only option is to increase the size of the pump - which only further increases head pressure.

When we discovered the head pressure was already considerably higher than rail pressure even in stock trucks, we decided to fix the problem and created the HPODS. It was necessary before installing the new larger pumps as they only exaggerate the issue.

In the case of Bill’s charts, He was not measuring HP. He was simply measuring the differences in ICP from the pump outlet to the ICP port in the 2004.5 rail. The problem was that the sensors max out at 5000 psi and he flatlined the pump outlet sensor while “maintaining” ICP in the rail. The pump sensor was still climbing when it hit its limit. The 20-40 hp numbers being thrown around were simply someone’s guess. In fact, significant HP gains are not uncommon with an HPODS install.

To illustrate: We have a 2005 truck in here right now getting the new 05-07 Adrenaline prototype installed. It has stock injectors, PHP FICM, SCT performance tune, Dieselsite EGR delete, our 05-07 Wicked Wheel, and a stock HPOP. The truck was dynoed last week at 412hp in this configuration. We immediately installed the HPODS and at ~ 487hp, the transmission would slip. We are going to replace the solenoid first (easier and faster than pulling transmission), and if that doesn’t fix it, then a new custom built heavy duty Dieselsite 5R110 trans (official release date of January 1st 2014) will go in this weekend so that we can get a good solid run without slippage.

The “I can maintain ICP, so I don’t need it” mentality is unfortunate once you realize the facts. If maintaining was the only factor in play, why would the HPODS effect how the engine idled? The fact that the engine smooths out and becomes more responsive should tell you that it has far more to do with the VOLUME delivered than the actual pressure. This increase in volume delivered to the heads decreases the time it takes for the injector to fill, pressurize, and inject the quantity of fuel it holds. When anybody installs an HPODS correctly, the results are always the same. The power difference is incredible, the engine sounds more like a CR, and in almost all cases, the oil temps are slightly less. That would be attributed to less actual ICP at the pump to make the desired ICP in the heads where it matters.

The personal issue I have had with my design of the HPODS is the need to relocate the CCV. I apologize that I have been slow in working on several ideas and will obviously keep everyone informed when something comes to fruition. I also would like to adapt the system to work with the 2003 models in the future as well. For now, you can purchase it as it has always come and buy a few extra parts to install it.

It is this simple: IF YOU OWN A 6.0L PSD THEN YOU NEED THE HPODS. It is far more important than a pump swap and in fact, is necessary before even considering one. Replacing the stock pump may not be necessary and if a larger pump is needed for larger injector sizes, the larger pump will last longer and perform better with the restrictions removed. No one with a 6.0L engine should be without it.

It is what it is pricewise. There’s not much I can do to change that. That’s how much it costs to make quality superior parts. Our HPODS distribution block has two flow control valves that match the stand-pipes in the heads. The lines are factory high pressure teflon static discharge stainless braided line. You don’t buy these at your local hydraulic shop. They are factory assemblies ordered from the manufacturers of the hose. Then, they are covered in Firesleeve. This prevents any oil leak (should it ever happen) from spraying on hot components. It also insulates the hot oil lines from melting any plastic they would touch. How you spend your money is your own choice. But you’ll never make the pressures you want or need without this item. Although I wish you could, those who think you can duplicate the parts I make and include, for a few hundred dollars in parts are sadly mistaken.

60HPODSDYNO.jpg

Good info, but if a HPODS is needed...curious to know why you haven't done anything to address this on an '03-early '04 models. Why only address the '04.5-07 trucks?

Dieselsite

Reaction score
I addressed this in my above post.

" I also would like to adapt the system to work with the 2003 models in the future as well."

Bob

ford rules

Reaction score

60HPODSDYNO.jpg
Just so im clear on this those numbers were made on a stock pump correct? The adreneline has yet to be installed the way i read it.

Dieselsite

Reaction score
Yes. Sorry if I wasn't clear. We were getting good baseline before adding the Adrenaline.

Latest posts

Members online