head removal question ASAP

Lamont_24

Reaction score
Wait.... You can afford multiple welders but not an engine hoist that you can buy for less than 200$? You obviously have money then and could've bought a used motor

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Wait.... You can afford multiple welders but not an engine hoist that you can buy for less than 200$? You obviously have money then and could've bought a used motor

It's his second truck, not his daily driver.
Personally I would have pulled the engine, but it's not my truck so my opinion is irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.

89 Stroker

Reaction score

have had these welders for a while, back when i had extra money to spend, obviously not anymore or it would have been done

Last edited:

89 Stroker

Reaction score
It's his second truck, not his daily driver.
Personally I would have pulled the engine, but it's not my truck so my opinion is irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.

i use this truck ounce in a while around town, and to go to the desert every few months, thats it

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
i use this truck ounce in a while around town, and to go to the desert every few months, thats it

Exactly what I was trying to say.
If you depended on the rig for work I'd never recommend swapping pistons in truck, but for a second vehicle it becomes a lot less risky. Worst case scenario and something goes fubar, you'l just be back at square one.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Exactly what I was trying to say.
If you depended on the rig for work I'd never recommend swapping pistons in truck, but for a second vehicle it becomes a lot less risky. Worst case scenario and something goes fubar, you'l just be back at square one.

only reason its used for the desert sometimes is cause the rack on it wont fit on my 04 and no itl never be used to drive to work or anything

89 Stroker

Reaction score
What does your rig gross out at with the sand-rail on it? Build thread on the rack?

never had it weighed, always wanted to see but forget, rack was bought but i shortened it and made it thinner if you call it that?? was on a dodge before and was made to hold a trophy truck

89 Stroker

Reaction score
question - this came off with the head, whats this belong too?

Attachments

• phil.jpg
    phil.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Looks to me like the steel 'insert' that goes around the cylinder. Part of the head gasket.
This didn't by chance come off of the dead cylinder did it?

it might have, it just fell off the bottom of the head when pulling it off, should i just buy all new ones? obviously i do

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Yeah, it should be integral to the headgasket, kind of sammiched within the gasket itself. Check my previous post for a picture of what the gasket should look like.
You'll definitely need an entire new gasket.

For curiosity's sake, check the head gasket and see what cylinder it came off of.
Possible that the hose clamp and dead cylinder are two separate issues.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Yeah, it should be integral to the headgasket, kind of sammiched within the gasket itself. Check my previous post for a picture of what the gasket should look like.
You'll definitely need an entire new gasket.

For curiosity's sake, check the head gasket and see what cylinder it came off of.
Possible that the hose clamp and dead cylinder are two separate issues.

yes i am getting a new exhuast gasket, so those things are embeded into the gasket? or do i need to look over the head cause i think i threw the old gasket away since it was all ripped up

Lamont_24

Reaction score
The head won't tell you as much as the gasket if any anything at all, unless it is uneven. But that steel ring goes around the cylinder and is part of the gasket. I would pull it out of the trash and see which cylinder is missing it. And if it is the one with the miss I would block the head and check that just in case. Just a heads up, whenever pulling a head off try to keep the gasket in best condition if possible. It can tell you a lot of things!

89 Stroker

Reaction score
The head won't tell you as much as the gasket if any anything at all, unless it is uneven. But that steel ring goes around the cylinder and is part of the gasket. I would pull it out of the trash and see which cylinder is missing it. And if it is the one with the miss I would block the head and check that just in case. Just a heads up, whenever pulling a head off try to keep the gasket in best condition if possible. It can tell you a lot of things!

trash has already been taken, this was about 2 weeks ago or something, any other way to tell?

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
yes i am getting a new exhuast gasket, so those things are embeded into the gasket? or do i need to look over the head cause i think i threw the old gasket away since it was all ripped up

I believe that should have come from the head gasket between head and block, not the manifold gasket.
I could be wrong however, it's a little tough judging the size without something to put it in proportion.

Latest posts

Members online