Headstuds at 60k miles??

tbrown1986

Reaction score
This is my first 6.0. I'm having Webb Transportation in Joplin Mo do the egr delete on my truck along with a SCT Livewire, sinister filter, etc... My question is that since my truck only has 60k miles on it should I go ahead do the head studs right now while everything else is getting fixed or should I wait til it blows a gasket? According to the oasis report, it blew a gasket at 43k miles and the dealer fixed it under warranty.

Also, granted I don't get the motor hot, if the gasket blows will it hurt the heads beyond repair? I'm thinking I might wait til it blows then have Webb Transportation do a stud job on it. Either way, now or later, the heads will
Have to be machined. I usually keep trucks for a couple years then set them free again! Give me your opinion!

I usually don't pull anything too heavy. The truck is lifted with 37s. It doesn't have a ball in the bed so it won't be used for pulling our gooseneck. It's honestly just a big car! Let me know what you think!!!

Bigred91

Reaction score
It would probably end up being cheaper to have everything done at once since everything will be off the motor already to do studs so there won't be added labor for the extra parts. So if it were me and I had the money to do it at the time I would go ahead and do it. But there's no telling your headgaskets could last till 200k miles or they could go in ten. There's no telling

Darkhorse diesel performance
101 northgate industrial drive
Ballground, ga
(678) 454-2277

Mdub707

Reaction score
If you're planning to keep it stock power wise, I would skip the studs myself. Though, if you are planning to have it done at some point no matter what, why not do it now and save on the labor? It will be way easier for them to do all of those other things with the cab in the air. The studs will help on resale value too if you do sell it in a few years.

jdc753

Reaction score
The labor for an EGR delete isn't all that much, essentially pulling the turbo and the up pipe, the intake doesn't even need to come off. However if you pay for labor on studs, then all the other stuff can be done at the same time. I guess to me it would more be a question of down time, get it all done in one big shot, or drive it for a bit and have it down again later on for studs.

Personally I think I would have them do it, just to be done with it. Get the heads checked out, especially since they blew gaskets once already.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
I would do it now, if the funds are available. Knowing what we charge for a egr delete package vs a full stud job. Its well worth doing it all together in my opinion.

acf6

Reaction score
I would just have it done now. My uncles work F550 6.0 needed an oil pan bad, so i just had the shop pull the engine and stud it as well. Wasn't puking or anything, just because he pulls heavy 24/7 and less downtime is better. Egr deleted as well...runs great

tbrown1986

Reaction score
I was told the head stud job was the same price if it was done later down the road or when the egr delete..etc.. was done. I just cant decide if I want to drop the other $3200 on it to get the head studs done right now or when it blows...

Mdub707

Reaction score
If you're planning to do it no matter what, just do it now. Especially since it's already going in the shop for other work. Have them do it all at once.

6literdiesel

Reaction score
I was told the head stud job was the same price if it was done later down the road or when the egr delete..etc.. was done. I just cant decide if I want to drop the other $3200 on it to get the head studs done right now or when it blows...

The stud job being the same price would make since because they have to remove everything that they're going to remove for this job. If they're planning to charge you $3,200 plus whatever they quoted you for the EGR etc... that's not right.

Strokersace

Reaction score
The stud job being the same price would make since because they have to remove everything that they're going to remove for this job. If they're planning to charge you $3,200 plus whatever they quoted you for the EGR etc... that's not right.

This I 1000% agree with!! $3200 for headstuds seems a bit much.

6literdiesel

Reaction score
This I 1000% agree with!! $3200 for headstuds seems a bit much.

That's not what I was saying. The going rate around here for a stud job is $3,500. What I was trying to say is that if they quotes you $1,800 (I am just making that number up) for the EGR delete, tune, and coolant filter and then you wanted to add the studs to the job the total should be $3,200. Not $3,200 plus the original $1,800 because they have to remove the EGR in order to to the studs anyway so there is no extra labor involved.

Strokersace

Reaction score
That's not what I was saying. The going rate around here for a stud job is $3,500. What I was trying to say is that if they quotes you $1,800 (I am just making that number up) for the EGR delete, tune, and coolant filter and then you wanted to add the studs to the job the total should be $3,200. Not $3,200 plus the original $1,800 because they have to remove the EGR in order to to the studs anyway so there is no extra labor involved.

That's what I understood you to mean. And that's what I was agreeing with. My post just didn't read that way.

tbrown1986

Reaction score
After talking to the shop again I was mistaken. I will save money on the labor by having everything done at once. Egr delete, oil cooler, coolant filter, head studs, SCT Livewire, etc... for around $4500. My entire hesitation about studs was because I thought it was both quotes added together but I was incorrect. I came from a 7.3 where all I had to worry about was a TS chip and injectors! This is all new to me!

Mdub707

Reaction score
That's really not a bad deal for everything. I would make sure you know exactly what parts you're getting, and find out if that price includes machine shop work on the heads too etc...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.