Help with park brake cable removal

CentralCali559

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a 2004 f250 crew cab 6.0 and I'm gonna be stripping the frame because of rust from CO winters. I have the passenger side done but the drivers side has the park brake cable in the way and I don't want to weaken it if the wire brush on my sander touches it. Any help on how to remove it or maybe loosen it so it's out of the way, would be greatly appreciated.

6.4psd916

Reaction score
If its the same as earlier years, you can disconnect it from the pedal in the cab. It takes a little work but its doable. Had to change it many times on the 2000 7.3.

CentralCali559

Reaction score
Ok I'll see if I can disconnect it from the inside. We've been having some rain finally here in CA and that has slowed my progress. Thanks for the input sir!

webb06

Reaction score
You can disconnect it underneath as well. Probably much easier as well. Look for this right under the drivers feet under the truck ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393626482.598287.jpg

Sometimes the little nub sticking up needs ground off to remove the cable just depends how stuck it is. Wd40 helps a lot too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393626511.338805.jpg

CentralCali559

Reaction score
You can disconnect it underneath as well. Probably much easier as well. Look for this right under the drivers feet under the truck View attachment 26363

Sometimes the little nub sticking up needs ground off to remove the cable just depends how stuck it is. Wd40 helps a lot too.
View attachment 26364

I noticed that but I don't know if there will be enough slack to remove it. It's kind of tight already with the brake disengaged. I'll hit it up with WD-40 and see if my cousin can help me. Thanks sir!

webb06

Reaction score
I noticed that but I don't know if there will be enough slack to remove it. It's kind of tight already with the brake disengaged. I'll hit it up with WD-40 and see if my cousin can help me. Thanks sir!

Pull down on the cable and use vice grips next to the body mount to keep slack in it. I do it all the time raising cabs

6.4psd916

Reaction score
Oh nice, yeah I'm in the Visalia area, 45 mins south of Fresno.

That's where I was born. Have family in Hanford.

I do remember when replacing the cables that there was a joint there. But I was replacing the cables so it was already broken so I didn't even think of pulling that apart first.

CentralCali559

Reaction score
That's where I was born. Have family in Hanford.

I do remember when replacing the cables that there was a joint there. But I was replacing the cables so it was already broken so I didn't even think of pulling that apart first.

Oh nice!! Yeah I was born here and live in Farmersville.

Yeah I'm just trying to move the cable away from the frame so I can strip it with the wire brush and hit it with paint.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
as mentioned pair of vise grips against the body mount to hold the slack, some PB blaster to losen the connector between the cables, and I use a flat head to pry it open enough to slide the cable out

CentralCali559

Reaction score
Ok my buddy that works at a tire shop came over to torque my wheels and he showed me that there's a quick disconnect past the rear drivers door, right before the rear wheel. You pull forward and unhook the hooks and the cable is loose. Thanks to everyone for the posts!

Latest posts

Members online