HOT!! 4r100

Bulletproof7.3

Reaction score
Since you haven't actually tried a good cooler (6.0) you have no idea if thats the problem. I don't know anything about that AC condenser or how it was engineered, but I have never heard of one of those being used as a tranny cooler until now. As far as I can tell you are nickel and dimeing your way to a 6.0 cooler. Not to mention all that time swapping those crappy parts store coolers and the Durango condenser in and out.

I hate to say it this way, but you came asking for help with your problem, and you've done everything except listen to the generous advice you were given here by the members trying to help you, including probably the most qualified person there is anywhere (Mark), then posting how it didn't work. Good luck with your tranny, hope you figure it out (as in get a 6.0 cooler).

Ok I understand that I havent bought a 6.0 cooler yet . Sure I wasted 25 bucks on the condenser but it was worth a shot to me . I'm 21 working my way through college , playing college football and having truck problems. My income per week is about 400 on a good week where weather is cooperating. So while I'm trying to make something work that was rather inexpensive im trying to find out if its actually the 300 $ cooler. I'm listening and learning now . So stop being an ass for no reason . I'm doing the best with what I can. Thanks for your help and replies up until this last post . The truck is in a tranny shop now and I'm leaving it to the pros.

Thanks mark you have been more than a lot of help . sorry im sure its a pain in the ass.

Arisley

Reaction score
Keep an eye on the classifieds, you can pick up a used 6.0 cooler for pretty cheap. Also, check out the true cool from Bob at Dieselsite. I am running one of his coolers. It keeps my tranny cool in these hot Texas summers. Even with only air to air cooling.

Kip

Reaction score
Ok I understand that I havent bought a 6.0 cooler yet . Sure I wasted 25 bucks on the condenser but it was worth a shot to me . I'm 21 working my way through college , playing college football and having truck problems. My income per week is about 400 on a good week where weather is cooperating. So while I'm trying to make something work that was rather inexpensive im trying to find out if its actually the 300 $ cooler. I'm listening and learning now . So stop being an ass for no reason . I'm doing the best with what I can. Thanks for your help and replies up until this last post . The truck is in a tranny shop now and I'm leaving it to the pros.

Thanks mark you have been more than a lot of help . sorry im sure its a pain in the ass.

I am not sure what to tell you. You ask for help with a problem and didn't take anybodys advise. I hate to tell but alot guys on this site have forgot more about these trucks than your tranny shop will ever know.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
lol the pressure drop was from 27-26 ish to 13ish? does that sound anywhere ball park?
That sounds like a lot of pressure drop.

What i dont get is, why did the two coolers that were made from transmissions cool it, outside of being to small...? I bought two just like the one on the left from the picture that snakes back and forth. Thinkning that it would have enough volume and pressure to not get hot.
The tube and fin coolers are very inefficient. That's why you never see one stock on a truck. Sometimes they are enough to cool a small car.

The man who built it says the internall parts of the trans is fine and just like yall are saying its cooling. But still seems fishy (outside of condenser) that it would be getting to 200* not towing anything.
You could have too much restriction which is causing the bypass to open so not all of the fluid is going to the cooler.

Is there a point where this rule shouldn't apply? If it's 120* out would you feel fine with the trans being at 220*?
Yes, I would. 220°F is the maximum continuous temperature. As long as it doesn't go above 220°F you can safely stay there all day.

Along the same lines, I know I asked you this before also, but at what temperatures do you have to worry about the trans running too cool and possibly causing condensation and other problems?

If it is 90* ambient, and I am running down the highway with trans temps of 125*-130* should I be concerned about it being too cool?
I think the trans should run at least 150°F.

and, that bypass. i thought the purpose of the bypass was if the cooler plugged for some reason, it would open the bypass
Yes, that is the only purpose of the bypass.

If it is 120 ambient out we got bigger problemsLOLLOLLOL
I've been to Lake Havasu City, AZ, and it was 121°F in the shade.

bluedge8

Reaction score
just read through this thread, I'm also having heating issues and picked up a generic cooler- now it's going back, and I will do something different, where all are people buying 6.0 coolers? ford only for new? Thanks again Mark, I was hoping you would make it over.

bluedge8

Reaction score
while I'm at it, I should ask, I was in 85* ambient and doing a lot of running around and I just happened to look at the trans temp gauge and it was at 225 and rising, I was in a drive thru and before long it was 250* and climbing, I shut it off and let it sit for 30 mins and it came down to 200*, I drove home on the highway 30mins and it got back up to 220* or so. the question is why did the trans temps take off so bad while idling?

Tom S

Reaction score
I just want to thank Mark for taking the time to post in this thread. How amazing is it that you guys can ask an actual real life transmission cooling engineer from Ford these kind of questions? I wish I knew how to track down AutoJim as well.

Bulletproof7.3

Reaction score
while I'm at it, I should ask, I was in 85* ambient and doing a lot of running around and I just happened to look at the trans temp gauge and it was at 225 and rising, I was in a drive thru and before long it was 250* and climbing, I shut it off and let it sit for 30 mins and it came down to 200*, I drove home on the highway 30mins and it got back up to 220* or so. the question is why did the trans temps take off so bad while idling?

I was having the same problems. Earlier in this thread they told me that our trucks only had an air cooled truck up until February 2000. Then i guess they started puttin coolers in the bottom of the radiators. Sounds good but dont waste your time or money on anything but a 6.0 cooler or a tru-cooler .

If your have read the last two pages im thinking the guys were pretty much fed up answering questions until you try the 6.0 cooler.

So good luck man hope you figure it out.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
no, not fed up. well, kinda. the answer to your question and your issues was the 6.0 cooler. and/or a new radiator with tranny cooling in it.

we told you you needed the 6.0 cooler cuz a additional cooler would not work. it was my bad on what cooler you had in your pic, that i said i would want another one of. i apparantly didnt focus hard enough on it. you put the additional cooler on it.

i mentioned a ac condensor. i know it works, cuz i have it on a truck that works, that regularly pulls 15k, and doesnt get hot, i dont care what the ambient temps are. it matters what ac condensor, you cannot just go to a bone yard and get a random one. you didnt ask for any more info on it, so i didnt elaborate. you got one, it didnt work.

there is only so many times we can say 6.0 cooler and/or radiator cooler before we just stop answering. ever had a friend ask something so many times, and it didnt matter how many times you said the right answer he just kept doin things his own way trying to save a few bucks, only to end up spending more in the end? currently, your that friend. you have two coolers, a condensor, various extra hose, clamps, and now a trip to the trans shop, for him to probably tell you what we just did. you need a bigger cooler.

one big cooler is better than two smaller ones.

now, i hope you dont think of me as coming off as a a$$. im trying not to be, and apologize if i am. im simply summing up what has been said here. this site, and the ppl on it, are some of the most knowledgable in the country. for instance, you had a ACTUAL FORD TRANSMISSION ENGINEER comment in YOUR thread. where you gonna go and get to tap into that kinda of knowledge? the guys on here, have done it all, tried it all, spent the money, saved the money, know what didnt work, know what did work, and pass that info on to others.

and not just the 6.0 cooler. the tru-cool is another viable option. for instance, lets ask a question to the army.

hey guys, what coolers do you run, stock 7.3 cooler or 6.0 or tru-cool or what? where do you have it mounted, in front of the ac, or stock location, behind the ac? any one put a additional fan on it? does your truck have the radiator cooling? normal driving, 85* outside, whats your temps driving around town?

ill even start with some answers. 6.0 cooler, not in the radiator, stock location, no fan, about 155* in town, stop and go traffic. when i had the stock 7.3 cooler, it was easy 185-190*

Last edited:

Bulletproof7.3

Reaction score
I've got a cooler coming and honestly appreciate everyone's help , thoughts , ideas, and opinions.

Latest posts

Members online