IH water pump

Reaction score
getting my motor together and i want to go with the IH water pump.. i know some pumps had there problems..whats your thoughts on the Alliant OEM Water Pump International T444E 1994-2003 #AP63581 ?? i know there a good brand name..just not sure about there water pumps.. the price is $298 shipped..no core charge.. thanks

TARM

Reaction score
Yes I have one I am running presently.

You need to get the bolt from IH as they are different lengths. Take a look and do a search in the tech section there was a long thread over there on it with all the peices needed.

All around its a better pump in every way accept wieght if that matters. Its all cast iron not alum. IT has a built in bypass filter with cut off. The heater hose outlet is off set to the outlet which is to the passenger side. This moves it from directly in front of the HPOP bolt access port. SO that is now super easy to get to. It uses the old t-stat so not needing to get special t-stats to get something other that 195. You can get anything from 185-230 or something like that.

The bearings from what I read are heavier duty etc...

Up to everything is the same. You need to change the bottom hose. I was told the cummins one would fit but it does not fit the super duty or at least not mine. It was not long enough or correct bend. I went with a flex the size of the outlet on the pump (sorry can not recall the size off the top of my head) Then bushing it with a piece of the orignal hose to fit the radiator inlet. It fit perfectly like that.

One thing that gave me real grief that can be super easy to deal with before its installed and everything is buttoned up. As its cast there is area with its has a ridge. Mine had one on the actual outlet port. I did not catch it and it created a ridge valley where the hose would not seal properly on it even with a worm clamp. If it was off 2 mins with a grinder would have had it taken care of. I ended up laying under it all contorted with a dremel with a stone on it chewing away and smoothing it out.

That was the only issue I had. It has been working perfectly once I got that worked out. It could have just been a 1:100 type thing but it ended up being mine.

One thing you could do as preventative: The o-ring in the bypass cut off is not a great materiel. Get a vitron o-ring and swap it out before you install it will prevent dealing with a leak in a year or so.

Not sure what if any variation there would be for non-super duty setups as far as hose hook ups go. Go search for that thread. It was last year some time before I took my break.

In the end it was no harder to install and setup than a ford one once you have the parts. It also does have a number of other ports that can be used that come with plugs if you have not use for them. Some ideas would be turbo cooling fuel heater etc..

Last edited:
Reaction score
sounds good.. thanks Tarm..i did read that thread..I didnt remeber if he used the alliant pump but a couple threads said something about the shut off valve leaking...i take it IH sells the kit?? maybe Bob ?? thanks again...

TARM

Reaction score
No its just a vitron oring. When you get it just pull the oring and match it up. Its only a snap ring that holds the cut off in. When you get it you will see how easy it is. You will also see just how much more substantial it is compared to the ford piece.

If you have never run a coolant bypass on that engine before I would switch the filter out after a few weeks. Then you can run it normal time.

Latest posts

Members online