injector capability, tuning stand point

Charles

Reaction score
Charles, that's interesting to say the least.
How does a 15° pump run a set of 400s ? Whats the icp & pw on this set up.
Power out put ?
I'm trying to figure out how that would burn clean ?

Thanks for the input.

It works because the 400% nozzle can inject a relatively small quantity of fuel so fast that you can still make power without a large fuel shot and subsequent oil requirement.

A 30% nozzle in comparison would not be able to inject the fuel in that same window, and would have to start sooner and spray later to get the same quantity. But by then it's not optimal and that same fuel charge won't make the same power, so you have to up the fuel quantity, blow through more oil and create even more smoke due to spraying more fuel, and spraying it later trying to get it out.

Net result...

You will be smoking more, running hotter, running more timing and using up more high pressure oil to make the same power. Assuming of course the power goal falls below the absolute max for the smaller nozzle.

And that is the result every time I have upped in nozzle size.

under pressure

Reaction score
Asking as i cant imagine a 15* pump on a 400 nozzle is spraying very well, im thinking that set up wouldnt work well on a single charger and be clean. But very curious as to the results.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Asking as i cant imagine a 15* pump on a 400 nozzle is spraying very well, im thinking that set up wouldnt work well on a single charger and be clean. But very curious as to the results.

Why? He has a 38r and a relatively large gt55 low pressure turbo. Probably clean. Not only that but if he's not shticanning it its gleeking a little bit.of.fuel to go down the road. Why would injecting a similar quantity of fuel, faster, as a stock injectored truck require a.bigger pump than what stock injectors use?
If he tunes.his own truck he.can do what he wants for the most part, but for runs.requiring better than 50% of the available fuel it would PROBABLY drop icp.

under pressure

Reaction score
Im just curious as to how well it works, as i understand fuel economy comes from the atomization of a finer spray pattern, but some say economy went up with larger nozzles. Im in the market for injectors, so looking at every possibe configuration to learn what i can and what works for a specific set up.
For me, purchasing an injector of this size (400/400) is out of the question, unless there sureflows.
however am very curious how they work, pw, icp etc. for compraisons

Last edited:

under pressure

Reaction score
It works because the 400% nozzle can inject a relatively small quantity of fuel so fast that you can still make power without a large fuel shot and subsequent oil requirement.

A 30% nozzle in comparison would not be able to inject the fuel in that same window, and would have to start sooner and spray later to get the same quantity. But by then it's not optimal and that same fuel charge won't make the same power, so you have to up the fuel quantity, blow through more oil and create even more smoke due to spraying more fuel, and spraying it later trying to get it out.

i like this idea, wondering what is sacrafised running 400s to only generate 400+ hp.
Idle ?
Economy ?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Idle would be changed. The quantity of fuel injected to produce idle may take place in fewer injections and as explained.to me sometimes cylinders might not.get any fuel because the demand was.already met. It can make idle.choppy or loped. If you are interested in injectors that large you may not.give a damn.

Could you do it? Yes. Will somebody be able to tune it for you to your liking? Doubtful, unless you pay a tuner to ride around and.get it to work.

under pressure

Reaction score
Idle would be changed. The quantity of fuel injected to produce idle may take place in fewer injections and as explained.to me sometimes cylinders might not.get any fuel because the demand was.already met. It can make idle.choppy or loped. If you are interested in injectors that large you may not.give a damn.

Could you do it? Yes. Will somebody be able to tune it for you to your liking? Doubtful, unless you pay a tuner to ride around and.get it to work.

Ah. I see.

Charles

Reaction score
Jelich pulled 22mpg in the DPC on 400/400's so economy isn't killed. With attentive tuning idle can be smooth, just look at some of Mike-O's videos.

Idle hazing is what I haven't ever lost. Of course I haven't given it any real effort and my engine is reduced compression.

As for 400hp... go with a 200edm all day. They are more efficient.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Jelich pulled 22mpg in the DPC on 400/400's so economy isn't killed. With attentive tuning idle can be smooth, just look at some of Mike-O's videos.

Idle hazing is what I haven't ever lost. Of course I haven't given it any real effort and my engine is reduced compression.

As for 400hp... go with a 200edm all day. They are more efficient.

In the grand scheme, do you really care, or are you bothered rather by the hazing? I just cant see it mattering in a modded vehicle.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Pretty sure there are tunes available for them. I cannot say how willing these company's will be to work with you however.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Pretty sure there are tunes available for them. I cannot say how willing these company's will be to work with you however.

Well,isnt that a problem, lol? I guess after a 200% nozzle you might as well get ready.to tune your own.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Seems to be a problem, regardless of your injector size.

I hear ya. I am pretty happy with Bills tuning from PHP but Id also like to tweak stuff based on my usage. Then again, running someone elses tuning, i.get in and drive.

Latest posts

Members online