Irates full fuel system

2000wa250

Reaction score
Talk to Jake, I know he has a version of this set up to run dual SD pumps as well. I believe he will even include the second pump with it. Got to see these kits and have a version of the pump and filter bases on my truck and it is a very clean set up. Eventually going to upgrade to the stainless lines RR and full fuel from the tank.

sniper_101

Reaction score
Question: A single Fuelab pump, twin Walbro's or twin SD's?

I imagine the twin pump setup being nice from a reliability stand-point, but anyone have any light to shed on this?

Not to jack your thread here OP, just don't want to start a thread for a question that will most likely only see a couple answers.

lowbedriver

Reaction score
I have twin walbros on mine and the pressure never drops at all,I did twins for the reliability.I got both pumps on ebay for 180.00.I think if I did it again I would get SD's

Milford

Reaction score
How about some more info on the twin SD pump setup? Reliability, pressures, and what is the biggest injector the SD pumps could fuel?

TARM

Reaction score
Twin walbros running in parallel full time is a ton way more fuel than is needed by those 230/80 injectors. For reliability I would keep them in parallel as that is a good setup but I would add in that you wire a multi-position switch inline between the pumps and the relay/s and mount it up in your cab .i.e a 4 way switch. Then you can have one pump on, one off, both on, or both off. Having both running when all you need for 80% nozzles is maybe 40 g/hr and you are running over double almost triple that at close to 120 g/hr on paper. You are also heating and aerating that fuel up much faster as well. Think when you only have a partial tank of the turn over rate. Say 10 gals being pumped @ 120gal/hr

I have not personally checked walbros but I do believe, based on tech info, they do not have check valves in the fittings so fuel likely can run back thru one creating a loop. If this is the case you just need to add a check valve to each output line and that will eliminate that issue. A way to know is does your fuel pressure drop fairly quickly when you turn off the engine? If so then they running back thru as the reg is restricting flow the other way.

Last edited:

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
If im not mistaken Marty runs 400/400s with dual SDs.

I ran 250/200s and am having them bumped to 400/200s with the internal mods. So time will tell.

TARM that 044 you used. Is it just bigger than the stock SDs physically and internally ? And are the fittings the same sizes ?

lowbedriver

Reaction score
Tarm, I do have a 3 position switch and relays sitting on the bench waiting to go in for just that reason.You and I had a discussion about it on PSN when you where putting your fuel cooler setup together.
As far as the check valves It will hold pressure for at least 10 min after i shut it off.I also blew air (by mouth)backwards thru the pumps before I installed them,nothing came out the other side.Not a real test I know but was the best I could do at the time.

P.S. I pm'd you about the gauges?

TARM

Reaction score
Lowbedriver,

I forgot about that. You are squared away. Sorry.

Dieselboy

Yes the 044 is a size larger than the SD pump. What is nice about it is it has proper 6an/jic threaded ports. It comes with a output fitting that has a check valve in it. The standard ports make it so much easier to get fittings and setup a normal hook up. Its a bit louder than a SD pump but nothing bad. I have it and the carter 4601HP running and it not obnoxious. With the engine running you can barely hear it. I think having a insulated mount helps considerably with sound with any pump.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Ya I just redid my fittings. Every connection was hose clamps and I hated it !

So I just ordered a bunch of JIC to pushlocs for the whole system. I think two 044s would be great to swap in place of my SD pumps. The only fitting I could find was an Earls compression to -6 AN fitting to adapt to the input side of the SD pumps on the steel tube end. They are only rated to 50psi though so fingers crossed. Im hoping being on the sunction side will help it.

Where did you pick yours up from ?

Tom S

Reaction score
Lowbedriver,

I forgot about that. You are squared away. Sorry.

Dieselboy

Yes the 044 is a size larger than the SD pump. What is nice about it is it has proper 6an/jic threaded ports. It comes with a output fitting that has a check valve in it. The standard ports make it so much easier to get fittings and setup a normal hook up. Its a bit louder than a SD pump but nothing bad. I have it and the carter 4601HP running and it not obnoxious. With the engine running you can barely hear it. I think having a insulated mount helps considerably with sound with any pump.

Does it fit in the SD mounting cage? I would like retain that for the noise insulation properties.

TARM

Reaction score
I doubt it but a really easy way to have the same sound insulation is to pick up two clamps and a square piece of insulation rubber mat that would likely be found in the plumbing dept and then wrap the pump in that and then use the clamps to secure it to how ever you wish to mount it. That is what I did originally with my Fuelab. You can then further use vibration grommets to fit onto the bolts between the frame and mount.

Just a few ideas that may work for you.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.