Is it running too rich (video)

deiter5262

Reaction score
no response? Does the idle sounds different? This is my 2nd 7.3L but my first one that I've done any major mods too. Maybe it is normal I just don't hang around trucks similar to mine to know the difference & thought I'd try to get some input

JDub

Reaction score
Unless those nozzles are huge, there could be some fuel pulled out, shouldn't be reason for smoke at an idle.

stroker2

Reaction score
i know my truck will smoke about like that when its cold and idling to warm up but i have hybrids. When its warm i cant really see anything coming out the exhaust

Bean

Reaction score
Could be that it just needs a little more timming when cold. Doesnt hurt anything as long as you dont mind a little smoke on startup. More timming will make it louder when cold, kinda looked like it cleared up after just a few seconds of running.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
What about the raw fuel smell bean. Is he having some of the things possibly going on as I do? Or do what I have going on what he has.?

Bean

Reaction score
The raw fuel smell is unburnt fuel. If the engine is cold and the timming is pretty low you can have some unburnt fuel left over.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
OP sorry to hijack your thread.... i know what the fuel smell is... i was just wondering if its the same as what i have, and not what we emailed back in forth, cuz mine has done it all winter even befor i bent and broke stuff on my motor..... what is actually considered a cold start, mine does it when its 90* out for a few min....

Last edited:

deiter5262

Reaction score
well I think it really smells like raw fuel at idle...but just wasn't sure if it was normal or not! It sounds like it more than likely is, I'd like to get some live tuning by Jonathon sometime to maybe help alleviate some of this..

Also, the reason I bring this up is my mpg are chit right now..only running stage 2's I just think the motor is burning more fuel than she needs too? could be a number of things i know

deiter5262

Reaction score
OP sorry to hijack your thread.... i know what the fuel smell is... i was just wondering if its the same as what i have, and not what we emailed back in forth, cuz mine has done it all winter even befor i bent and broke stuff on my motor..... what is actually considered a cold start, mine does it when its 90* out for a few min....

I think a cold start is when you leave the truck sitting for atleast overnight or 12 hrs or more and start it up...& no worries hope you get yr problem fixed up also bud

deiter5262

Reaction score
i know my truck will smoke about like that when its cold and idling to warm up but i have hybrids. When its warm i cant really see anything coming out the exhaust

well we have had some 90* days & I can still see the fuel roll out like that when I start it...we"ll see when it gets warmer but even if I drive for a couple hrs then shut it off for a few hours then start again..she'll roll the fuel out?

Sounds normal to me.

That truck looks sweet man, esp the powercat on the front. :thumbup:

thanks brother, the truck has come a long way since day 1 when I bought it! Now the only thing I'm not happy w/t is the leaf spring suspension my front end needs a little work maybe tie rod/ball joint or something..feels a little loose going over bigger bumps

and I'm a KSU alumni..graduated in 2008

Last edited:

deiter5262

Reaction score
The raw fuel smell is unburnt fuel. If the engine is cold and the timming is pretty low you can have some unburnt fuel left over.

Bean I was trying to get a picture of my decal from yr shop on the back right window but video camera wouldn't clear up:doh:LOL

You wouldn't believe the # of guys that ask me whenever I stop at a gas station or whatever..."what is Beans Diesel Performance?"

I think I really just need to take a road trip to TN see you guys to get some fine tuning done to the old 7.3L sometime!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
mine does exactly everything your saying mileage is crap too..... and live tunes are WELL worth the trip down there..... do you have bdp tunes now, and how long have you had them? and what are all your mods and how long have you had those

Bean

Reaction score
I think it could be fixed with a little more idle timing but Jon would be the one to answer that for sure.

If you have a scanner make sure you oil temp sensor is giving correct readings, if its off it greatly effects all of the fueling and timing tables.

Bean

Reaction score
Should be pretty close to coolant temp, drive it around for awhile and it should atleast reach 180 degrees.