Is my turbo going to explode?

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
I am about to pull the trigger on DPF delete tunes and all the goodies that come with it. My F250 is a 2011 model and I believe a Job 2 (built in or around November or December 2011), but I am still concerned my my turbo is a ticking time bomb. If I post my VIN, can anybody tell me exactly when my truck was made and if I should start saving for a 2015 billet turbo?

I am hoping to trade this truck in a few years on the redesign, so fingers crossed that I am good to go.

VIN: 1FT7W2BT9BEB87387

Thanks

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Trucks can take out a turbo stock or tuned its just luck of the draw i have been deleted for over 50K miles I have ran the high boost H&S tunes etc etc and mine is still kicking. When it does go Ill update to a 15 turbo, but just tuning it I don't believe will blow the turbo any more often that a non tuned truck.

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
I knew that the early 2011's are very prone to burning up. I did not know that tuning had little effect (other than the high boost tunes). I would love a 15 turbo with billet guts, but $3500 is a pretty penny to spend if I plan on upgrading to the 2017 or 2018, whenever it may be.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
not even early 11's are really prone to burning up. If you drive it like you want it to break it will break drive sensibly and all will be good

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
Thank ya good sir. I cannot account for the first 50k miles on it, but it ran like a top when I bought it.

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
I am talking to two vendors on here right now about tunes. I dont need anything wild, just better than this DPF on tuning and stop the regen process every 200 miles.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I had Gearhead set me up with a tune that tops out at 26 psi. The boost kills the turbo down low. The safer tunes build the higher boost at the higher RPMs.

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear from the 2 vendors as to which tunes they use. I already have a CTS, so I'll be using SCT and not H&S. Do wish I could do it over and just get a mini maxx for cheap.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear from the 2 vendors as to which tunes they use. I already have a CTS, so I'll be using SCT and not H&S. Do wish I could do it over and just get a mini maxx for cheap.

If you have a cts just run a xrt pro. Cheaper than the mini maxx. Could probably trade someone who has just bought a 15 and need a sct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
If you have a cts just run a xrt pro. Cheaper than the mini maxx. Could probably trade someone who has just bought a 15 and need a sct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do you check pms? or do you not want to sell the xrts you have...

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
If I can find someone that wants to trade, fine. If not, Ill just start saving for a '15 charger. Hopefully my turbo will only take itself out if/when it blows.

hudu

Reaction score
I have a job 1,deleted @10000k,I now have 70000k. I have H&S mini max tuning with the up grade to lower boost,original would go to 42 now it goes to 28-30. On the hot tune @ WOT my egt go to 1480+. Last summer I put the camper on and forgot to change the tune to mild,you see where this is going. I was pulling a mountain pass and whenever I got to a passing lane I would pullout and just spank everyone,90mph and grinning. About 2m from the summit there was a whoosh and a lot of black smoke,embarassing as a line of cars passed me on the right as I limped along in the left. Had it towed to the nearest ford dealer, service mgr said yes the turbo's gone, then he told me to hide the mini-max. I never thought of warranty I was pretty sure they would notice the missing the EGR. they fixed me up didn't charge a dime. Point is the high EGT's killed the turbo. If I hadn't forgot to detune it I'd still be running the frist turbo, that being said the thought of a streetmax gives me a stiffy but I'm in Canada the high u.s. dollar puts us on the retail+30 plan. I wouldn't get much change from 10 grand installed but I dream. By the way deleteing was the best money I spent.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
My friend's EARLY job 1 has 160k on it. Canned h&s and now gearhead tuning since 60k.

It pulls a big horse trailer a majority of the time.

I wouldn't lose sleep over a 2011 that has survived four years on the road with no issues

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Its getting deleted and will be treated like a working lady on nickel night. I am already picking out my 2015 charger though..

Sarge03

Reaction score
So what's the difference between a 15 turbo and 14? I just bought my 2015 and trying to figure out what to do first? This is the 2nd thread I've read that mentioned the 15 turbos being better, but why?

powerstroked08

Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online