Is my turbo going to explode?

Sarge03

Reaction score
I looked everywhere for this and found it. Sorry but thanks for the reply. I was coming to post the information I found. If this isn't right, feel free to interject.

"Ford engineers are retiring the GT32 single sequential turbocharger ("DualBoost") in favor of a larger Garrett GT37. The GT37 has a single, 88 mm compressor wheel, as opposed to the GT32's dual compressor wheel design."

maxxedout

Reaction score
From what I understand, the most failure-prone trucks were late 2011's and early 2012's. My truck is an early 2012, and the factory turbo did fail after about 40,000 miles of being deleted with the earlier H&S tunes. The early tunes would regularly spike 33-34 psi, and I'm assuming that's what did the most harm to the factory turbo. After the failure, I loaded the "safer" tunes, and ran a wicked wheel II... The truck ran alright, but it was definitely down on power compared to the old H&S tunes.

After about a year of that, I went with one of Morgan's StreetMax turbos, and now I would NEVER go back to the factory turbo. I do think the 2013-2014 and replacement (Ford OE) "dual boost" turbos are less failure-prone than the earlier ones, but I doubt that design will ever be as reliable as the 2015-style turbo. If you want peace of mind, your best bet would be a 2015 retrofit from Morgan.

Reaction score
I knew that the early 2011's are very prone to burning up. I did not know that tuning had little effect (other than the high boost tunes). I would love a 15 turbo with billet guts, but $3500 is a pretty penny to spend if I plan on upgrading to the 2017 or 2018, whenever it may be.

Stock 2015 retrofit kits run $2699. Billet versions and performance piping options go up from there.

I looked everywhere for this and found it. Sorry but thanks for the reply. I was coming to post the information I found. If this isn't right, feel free to interject.

"Ford engineers are retiring the GT32 single sequential turbocharger ("DualBoost") in favor of a larger Garrett GT37. The GT37 has a single, 88 mm compressor wheel, as opposed to the GT32's dual compressor wheel design."

The 2015 turbo has a 61 mm compressor inlet and 91 compressor exducer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
Stock 2015 retrofit kits run $2699. Billet versions and performance piping options go up from there.

Thats much less than I figured. From a pure reliability standpoint and slight performance gain, would the base '15 turbo be a good option? How long of an install time are we looking at with these? I will probably have to have a shop do the install.

Latest posts

Members online