Less than 1k miles with IDP tunes, tranny is done!

getstuk

Reaction score
My truck has never towed heavy, never had a fifth wheel attached, seems to have been really babied before I owned it...I picked it up with about 67k miles, IMMEDIATELY deleted and tuned and one trip to Pismo beach (and maybe 5 hard 4wd pavement launches) and WOT runs on the street, but overall less than 1,000 miles and the tranny is gone. I was really hoping this would have lasted at least a year so I could lift, and do the rest of the build first.

So I'm in need of a built tranny, talked to Mike here and he said John Woods was local (Southern California). They want $7k for their built tranny not installed, and without tranny tuning (I believe), he also said a tranny's life is "ALL ABOUT TUNING."

1. John Woods has a great reputation from what I've read, so I'm tempted to go with him. However, this is a very steep price so I need to do my homework. I'm only pushing 570-580rwhp (tune + deletes) and plan to not go over 750.
  2. Elite Diesel ALSO has a great reputation from what I've heard, and an acquaintance who is pushing around 900hp replaced 5 or 6 transmissions before going with Elite's and hasn't had a problem since. His experience made me a tad nervous, after spending $7k the last thing you want is problems with the product. I'm waiting on a quote from them.
  3. And finally BTS, how is their 6.4L reputation? I'm waiting on a quote from them too.
  4. Suncoast, also waiting on a quote from them now.

Anyone else I'm missing? Any recommendations? This purchase is going to feel like a kick in the pants...

Last edited:

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
I've heard good things about Twisted transmissions. But don't have any first hand experience.

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Tuning is everything. Innovatives trans tunes are fine. Everything is your right foot. If the trans was abused before you and you added more power you were on borrowed time. Depending on the tune, which I guess by what you said, was his race rune with most likely firmer with stock lock trans file, then thats the reason. A lot of power through the trans shifting.
If I was going to build a trans right now Morgan most likely would get the call.

getstuk

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations. I might reach out to Rudy's, have to do some research on Midwest, haven't heard of him yet. Also reaching out to twisted as I've read nothing but good about them.

I will be staying away from Brians Truck Shop however after reading this thread. The truck can't just sit, I have to move it every 72 hours >.< How does this work, does 7k get you a new tranny and you send yours back as a core charge? Or do you send them your tranny? If I have to send them my tranny I have to figure out parking for this rig, Southern California are a bunch of tight wads about parking. I literally dance this truck from parking spot to parking spot every 72 hours or they mark my truck for tow.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54101&page=2

Last edited:

ncollins64

Reaction score
I'm gonna reccommend morgans trans. I'm running his comp trans behind big power and it doesn't skip a beat, period. He will back his products up with his awesome customer service in a timely manner.

swinky

Reaction score
Stay away from elite as well.

Twisted will take good care of you. There's many members on here that have been happy with a twisted stage 3. The warranty is damn near unbeatable. I would change tuners as well.

getstuk

Reaction score
Twisted and Morgan sound like the crowd favorites, what kind of turnaround time are we talking here (in your experience)? I'm in Southern California so I can drive a bit to drop it off, but I doubt either of these are local.

I'll be changing up my tuning. Nothing against IDP, but they smoked a LOT. I think Gearheads will be next.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Call Morgan or send him a pm on here. He can let you know everything you wanna know. He doesn't have long turnarounds though imo. Morgan is in IL also

PSD2570

Reaction score
You're joking right?

No I'm not joking! It's just more info to read and have knowledge of what you're getting with the 7 thousand dollars you're spending. If someone says you have warranty but then something happens and says well we don't cover that part it's good to know before you spend your money with them.

Reaction score
Most all of the time unless its sold and haven't built another. We keep a competition 5r110 on the shelf.

We are not the cheapest. But we do not cut corners nor will be sandbag the warranty. There are lot of other good transmission builders out there as well. We are just another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
No I'm not joking! It's just more info to read and have knowledge of what you're getting with the 7 thousand dollars you're spending. If someone says you have warranty but then something happens and says well we don't cover that part it's good to know before you spend your money with them.
Well you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Their most expensive trans isn't even 5k. Almost nobody warranties hard parts. Hard parts or not good luck getting a 3yr100k mile warranty for 5k from anybody else.

Ask Morgan to build a trans for 5k and warranty hard parts with a 3yr warranty.

*not bashing Morgan at all. He obviously has a kick ass trans.

getstuk

Reaction score
Call Morgan or send him a pm on here. He can let you know everything you wanna know. He doesn't have long turnarounds though imo. Morgan is in IL also

I PM'd him, thanks a lot.

psd2570 said:

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate you trying to give me the full scoop. I want to know the "catches" to a warranty, whether it's partial to his company or the industry standard...I just wanna know so thanks for that.

Swinky, are you saying Morgan's top transmission isn't even 5k? I just PM'd him so I suppose I'll find out more and share it here.

Morgan said:
Most all of the time unless its sold and haven't built another. We keep a competition 5r110 on the shelf.

We are not the cheapest. But we do not cut corners nor will be sandbag the warranty. There are lot of other good transmission builders out there as well. We are just another option.

I can appreciate that response, it's nice to see a builder active, I get nervous when a company is tough to get a hold of and I'm about to drop this kind of coin.