Let's discuss larger nozzles and idle quality

CurtisF

Reaction score
As a novice tuner, this is something I struggle with. I have tried many different combinations of pulsewidth, ICP, timing, etc. The result is always the same... I can't nail down the idle quality. I can have some chop and even at times a slight bit of lope you can feel in the truck, and other times I can have a lot of chop at idle (depending on the tweaks I make in the tuning).

Then I watch videos of trucks like Mike's (Blowby), and I see his truck idle as if it were stock on injectors that are far larger than mine. And at that point I feel like a noob.

So let's discuss nozzles and idle quality with regards to tuning. What have some of you folks discovered to help curb or even cure that issue? I feel like I've hit a brick wall with this, and just can't seem to get over the hump. Injectors are in my sig.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
subbed. no idea, but want to learn.

and on a side note, good luck with those injectors on PMRs... mine blew with AD's :doh:

Power Hungry

Reaction score
As a novice tuner, this is something I struggle with. I have tried many different combinations of pulsewidth, ICP, timing, etc. The result is always the same... I can't nail down the idle quality. I can have some chop and even at times a slight bit of lope you can feel in the truck, and other times I can have a lot of chop at idle (depending on the tweaks I make in the tuning).

Then I watch videos of trucks like Mike's (Blowby), and I see his truck idle as if it were stock on injectors that are far larger than mine. And at that point I feel like a noob.

So let's discuss nozzles and idle quality with regards to tuning. What have some of you folks discovered to help curb or even cure that issue? I feel like I've hit a brick wall with this, and just can't seem to get over the hump. Injectors are in my sig.

Are you looking for something like this??? (250/200's with an Adrenaline, incidentally. :D )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLTMbDfSkT4

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Well as I have pmrs I will be following this as many other threads.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
holy crap that seams even smoother then mine but i would have to be next to it to tell... it sounds kinda like it has a drone to it threw my speakers...

Probably the echo from being inside the shop, the truck does kinda sound weird in there in some of the videos... Then again for just havingn 4" from the turbo back my truck has always seemed overly loud as well compared to some other trucks

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I would like to here What mike has to say because I know his injectors are very large compared to what you and I are running And his truck idles super smooth. His truck is the only one with large injectors that I have seen a video of idling that sounds really smooth along with him tuning it himself... I have seen some other vids but they didn't do the tuning themselves

JDub

Reaction score
I don't know how it was done either, but Jody was able to tune my 15.5:1 compression motor with enough injector to make over 900hp so that it was better than my dads stock truck, even at my higher 4400ft elevation. I never thought it could've been possible but it was/is. Idled near perfect.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Lack of idle resolution is what makes them lope..... How is the truck supposed to idle properly when the idle fuel is basically too much or too little? Cold starts are usually smooth because of the oil and fuel viscosity being thick. When the fuel and oil thin out, it gets lopey because the fuel curve is too aggressive.

TARM

Reaction score
I can not see tuners giving specific instructions on how to get these idles completely smooth as that is how they make their money and it was there time plugging away testing over and over again to figure out what works. Certainly not on a open public forum. They may point you in the right direction with posts like Matt has made to give you a path to start looking for things to try to start changing values. Maybe I am wrong but that just seems logical.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Are you looking for something like this??? (250/200's with an Adrenaline, incidentally. :D )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLTMbDfSkT4

That is about 100x smoother sounding than mine, and I am stock LOL

Lack of idle resolution is what makes them lope..... How is the truck supposed to idle properly when the idle fuel is basically too much or too little? Cold starts are usually smooth because of the oil and fuel viscosity being thick. When the fuel and oil thin out, it gets lopey because the fuel curve is too aggressive.

I totally agree here... My truck runs a lot smoother during the first few minutes it runs every day. Once it warms up it doesn't sound too well LOL

firehunter

Reaction score

Even with only 50 miles on my injectors I have already noticed ^^^this. The idle is butter smooth when cold and it definitely has some lope to it when it warms up. Just enough to wiggle the gear shifter. This is what I was referring to by "I now have an OBS idle" in my email to you. Not necessarily a bad thing...

Power Hungry

Reaction score
I can not see tuners giving specific instructions on how to get these idles completely smooth as that is how they make their money and it was there time plugging away testing over and over again to figure out what works. Certainly not on a open public forum. They may point you in the right direction with posts like Matt has made to give you a path to start looking for things to try to start changing values. Maybe I am wrong but that just seems logical.

TARM,

This is not a shot against you so please don't take it as such because I know you are simply stating a fact, but it's exactly that attitude why the 7.3L has lagged so far behind the Cummins and Duramax for so many years. It's this whole damn "secret squirrel" crap that goes on the hinders any real chance of improvements in the platform. You go on the Duramax forums and people are handing out tunes and configuration details like it was candy, but the Ford guys are often so tight-lipped you'd think they didn't even have a mouth.

I won't speak for any other tuners out there, but I have never had a problem explaining... in great detail... what it takes to make certain configurations work. I've built heavily modified base files and handed them straight to customers to let them do their own tuning. In fact, I still get calls form other tuners asking me for help or for files when they have difficulty with a specific configuration. I take great pleasure in the post I write about tuning, ECM functionality, or any other subject in which I can share my knowledge and experience. To not share it is, in my opinion, actually pretty selfish. Corey always said I'd be a great teacher because I love watching people learn, and if I had more patience I probably would teach.

This crap needs to stop or the 7.3L is going to finally outlive the brief resurgence we've seen over the last couple years. The reality is that the only people we're keeping secrets from is the general public. Pretty much anyone in the industry can look and learn from anyone else's tuning so nobody is really hiding anything anyway.

With that out of the way...

Jason's truck idles just as smooth warm as it does cold. There is more than enough resolution in the fuel PW and ICP tables to make even 350% nozzles idle smoothly, so the 200% nozzles aren't a problem. When we put a set of 400/350's (courtesy of Jim at Rosewood Diesel) in my truck, it idled like stock and ran like a striped-a$$ ape! The only real problem (aside from STUPID EGT's) was that serious PW and ICP table modifications become necessary to maintain a smooth stable idle. A slight haze was also had at light cruise, but to be honest I really didn't spend a lot of time tuning outside of the idle area on those injectors. They were strictly done as a proof of concept, and that was that you could put 400cc injectors in a BONE STOCK truck and still make them driveable. It worked and then we returned the injectors to Jim.

If you look at this video and watch near the end, you can hear how smooth the idle is even after romping on the truck a bit. This video is trimmed from a larger file, but I have more of it with hot idle (in park) if anyone really wants to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL9drkh8Peg

In fact, here's the later part of that clip where I pulled onto the dyno. Idling for a good 30 seconds as I was talking to my buddy Foose. No haze, no rough idle. Just takes a little time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1f8iT5zltk
Take care.

Last edited:

Gearhead

Reaction score
I was merely making the point that you had to give it enough idle resolution to regulate the idle properly by scaling the pw back. There are some injectors out there that are very aggressive in the minimum fuel areas so those are a little harder to maintain a good idle when cold. I've actually found that hybrids are easier to tune at idle because the minimum fuel quantity is less than an A code injector because of the lower IP multiplier in the idle range pulsewidths.
I know this video says 300% hybrids but they are actually some custom nozzles made by John Link before he died and are actually bigger than 400% as I later found out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGiGHzJpX-U

Last edited:

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Man, that thing sounds like a 6.0L from the front! LOL That's how the 400/350's ran in my truck. Really smooth. It's funny how you listen to a 7.3L exhaust and it always sounds like it has a miss.

And yes, Hybrids are SO much easier to tune than say... B-Codes. :D

TARM

Reaction score
Bill,

I do not take it as such. I fully agree with you. It is something that has frustrated me from day 1 that I got on these forums, which dates back to TDS before PSN was around. Heck all the way back when IIRC Dave@Swamps(Golfer)went by SwampDonkey and at the time was trying to figure out if and if so the best way to modify stock rods to keep them from bending. :D

After all these years I have learned that this attitude of "I ain't telling" is just the way some are going to be and it has not changed much in the last 10 yrs. The two areas it could not be more prevalent in happen to be at the core of getting these things to make power i.e. the tuning, and injector tech. It reminds me of how the suppressor technology/ manf world is and why I hate when I have projects that require asking about tech or performance comparative data as a group.

Other than you and possibly Matt, as far as what I would consider professional tuners go, I have never seen much in the way of info being offered up to this very day. To "some" extent I think its justified as no one should get "spoon fed" as it cheapens the value of it and less is actually learned even though I guilty of doing that myself for lesser experienced members on these forums many times. Reason being I sincerely enjoy helping people and watching peoples knowledge grow. IMO it much more beneficial to help someone learn it for themselves than to just show them. That is what I was trying to convey in the second part of my previous post although it may have been lost given the frustration about the attitudes of some on sharing you have highlighted.

For me helping others is a part of my core beliefs and faith as well as I find pleasure in it. (I guess if you think about that it makes me helpful and generous in a selfish sort of way LOL)

If we could as a group be more like, say, the duramax group was, as they were starting out, I am almost 100% certain we would be much further along in the advancement of making reliable power with these old dinosaurs and with new tech to do it.

In the end I do not think what I posted in the first part was incorrect its just frustrating that it is that way which I fully agree with. But its going to take people that have substantial knowledge (experts) in their respective fields like yourself to break these trends. You certainly can and do have a profound POSITIVE effect on this in the tuning field as does your forum. Now if we could just get other major players across the gamut to do likewise. There is a tight rope that is going to have to be walked there.

CurtisF

Reaction score

And that's the thought that has creeped into my mind as of late. There seems to be a fairly wide jump in the scaling on the map at idle.

Latest posts

Members online