Lift Jumping From 6" to 10"

EvilTwins

Reaction score
The more I looked at my truck the more the 38" Mickey Thompsons look a little "Stuffed" into the wheel wells. Also, when I turn left into any inclined driveway I have to proceed like I am driving a lowered ricer, otherwise the tire will smack my fender flare. I also have to pull my cab within the next two weeks or so but wanted to do this first as my "beater with a heater" wont be available for a till then.

I got the back in for now and on Wednesday (Feb 1) the Rize four link should be here from Louisiana courtesy of BenBou00. Always a pleasure doing business with good people.

All the NEW parts came from Sean at Street Diesel Performance (SDP). Not to mention the numerous phone calls because I'm psychotic. In all seriousness, Sean pointed me in the right direction, got me the right parts, and continues to keep provide support in regards to maintaining proper driveline angles.

Sean got me true 10" lift springs from Atlas, which in my opinion are very well built. Right down to the spring sliders. They are heavy as F&%K too. Not a one person job. He also set me up with Bilstein Shocks.

Here is the photo progression. Its not seamless but gets the point across.

SDP Provided some new "U" bolts as reuse if forbidden......and too risky. I cleaned them up and put a coat of rustshield on. The SEM seems to bite the best and cleans up really nice too.

m1c1yb

I took an initial measurement at the top of the wheel well arch to see how much I gain and provide a reference for the front.

zd5061

Here is the before shot. As I said, a little stuffed and not very well centered in the wheel well. These facts aren't very apparent in the pic. Current configuration is stock springs with a Pro Comp four inch lift block, one inch aluminum block, added spring to the pack, and a plate for the Pro Comp bars. THe math says 6" of lift, but I needed a ProComp six inch front spring and a 2" spacer from a leveling kit to get the truck to level out.

yo63se

A couple without tires.

iod60n

w4qpjx

Got the spring out. The front bolts were TIGHT and Red Lock Tight'ed (made up word). I strongly recommend a two post lift and a can of break free with a 24 hour pre application to do this. There is no way I was getting the height I needed with a jack. Well unless you are Parump and can balance a truck precariously on 6x6s, i think most of you have seen the pics. Just a jab buddy.

os27y4

Getting ready to put in the new spring and awaiting the arrival of my brother in law to help lift. I tried to do one side at a time but I couldn't get enough separation between the mounts and axle on one side to get the spring in, so I just removed both old springs.

lkgcrz

Got both springs in and temporarily put the tires on........ Surprise !!!! Gained 5 1/2 inches. I did leave in the 1 inch aluminum block. Pure man pride wouldn't let me take it out.......

q0v9ho

I installed my new Bilsteins, after wrapping them with 3M clear vinyl to ensure they don't get trashed by the winter salt. I got two years on my other wrapped Bilsteins and they still wipe up perfect with a cloth. Sean also made me install a new differential cover. He really didn't have to push me too much......I also installed a stainless brake line (blue colored) due to the extra height. I have done two sets of brake-lines in the last month and both sets wind up with a coil in them that I can't get rid of no matter what way I configure the ends. :doh:

uyqa6n

My first issue so far sits with my exhaust.... With the spring installed it wants to live in the same area as the exhaust. So for now I am going to run the dump here and try to figure out what to do. I am probably going to do some kind of single or dual turn down. Any Ideas.

g34a9a

Well, here is the hot rod... All kinds of Early 70s Pro Street.. Come On Fed EX Get me my front end parts !!!!!! I can probably remove the bump stop as there is nothing for it to hit. Besides, if that spring compresses far enough to hit that stop.......I have much bigger problems.

5zoto4

After test driving it I noticed a drive line shutter on any acceleration. Once again SDP got the parts. Sean has a one piece drive shaft being made up as I type this. Once we get that baby installed I can feed Sean my output shaft and pinion angles and we can see if I need to put in an angled block in place of my one inch aluminum piece. I should be good to go. The angle doesn't look too drastic.

7n7n53

I know I am mentioning Street Diesel Performance a lot but some of the best vendors in the country are on this site. It is not often that companies take a personal interest in our projects like the ones here do. I like to give credit where credit is due.

Thanks!!!

SAK

Reaction score
Looks good.

If you want to get rid of those overload spring brackets on the frame I might be interested in them ;)

EvilTwins

Reaction score
Looks good.... hows the ride

Like I'm constantly driving down hill. LOL. So far the back end feels good. Once i get the one piece shaft in I will drive it a little harder and see how it handles the city bumps and RR tracks.

Initially it feels a little bouncy. My concern is that I only had about an inch of extra extension in my Bilsteins so I'm wondering if being that extended is making them less effective. I have been texting with BenBou00 and he indicated that I might be somewhere in the 12" area, using his truck as a benchmark.

Now it needs 40's :pimp:

Oh God.....don't let Sean read that. Im going there on saturday and he will have a set sitting in the driveway when I get there. He doesn't play fair. :eek:

EvilTwins

Reaction score
Looks good.

If you want to get rid of those overload spring brackets on the frame I might be interested in them ;)

PM Me your address. I will just send them when they come off. Sooner or later I'm sure I will need something......One hand washes the other.:thumbup:

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Oh God.....don't let Sean read that. Im going there on saturday and he will have a set sitting in the driveway when I get there. He doesn't play fair. :eek:

Your not kidding. My truck would probably still be stock if I could not drive over there and pick stuff up spur of the moment. lol.

SAK

Reaction score
PM Me your address. I will just send them when they come off. Sooner or later I'm sure I will need something......One hand washes the other.:thumbup:
PM sent, Thanks

Initially it feels a little bouncy. My concern is that I only had about an inch of extra extension in my Bilsteins so I'm wondering if being that extended is making them less effective. I have been texting with BenBou00 and he indicated that I might be somewhere in the 12" area, using his truck as a benchmark.

You do not have enough droop, this will make the truck ride ruff and bouncy like you are describing. Take a measurement from the top shock mount to the bottom one and let me know. I'm sure I can get you the right length that you need.

powerstroker67

Reaction score
Your driveshaft is done! Give me a call tomorrow and we'll get those shock mounts moved. I guess those 6250 Bilstiens need to grow a few inches!

EvilTwins

Reaction score
PM sent, Thanks

You do not have enough droop, this will make the truck ride ruff and bouncy like you are describing. Take a measurement from the top shock mount to the bottom one and let me know. I'm sure I can get you the right length that you need.

Makes sense. Iam going to do what I can to keep the Bilsteins on at this time. I got some additional funds ties up in them as I had them 3M clear vinyl wrapped. It keeps them looking new in the salty sasons for quite some time.

Need me a beater car!!!!

EvilTwins

Reaction score
As promised.....Street Diesel Performance delivers my one piece driveshaft.

Sent Via My I Phone:
"Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die."

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328213030.539079.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328213030.539079.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 85
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328213069.528668.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328213069.528668.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 85
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328213088.773421.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328213088.773421.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 90

EvilTwins

Reaction score
I also gotta give big props to benbou00. I got the Rize parts that I purchased from him. In just being a good guy he individually wrapped EVERY piece in bubble wrap and placed everything in the crate like a Jenga puzzle. Keep in mind I sent him a wooden crate packed full of paper shredding and he took it upon himself to ensure the condition of the painted parts by going the extra step with the bubble wrap.

All of the hardware was labeled in ziplock bags that were taped shut to endure they didn't explode while in transit. Just pure professionalism. He gets first frosty beverage from any round I buy......Thanks bud..:thumbsup:

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I also gotta give big props to benbou00. I got the Rize parts that I purchased from him. In just being a good guy he individually wrapped EVERY piece in bubble wrap and placed everything in the crate like a Jenga puzzle. Keep in mind I sent him a wooden crate packed full of paper shredding and he took it upon himself to ensure the condition of the painted parts by going the extra step with the bubble wrap.

All of the hardware was labeled in ziplock bags that were taped shut to endure they didn't explode while in transit. Just pure professionalism. He gets first frosty beverage from any round I buy......Thanks bud..:thumbsup:

Too bad some shops don't take the time and care to insure no problems during shipping.

EvilTwins

Reaction score
I gotta agree. For some shops it all about the one time sale. For me it all in the detail.

Sent Via My I Phone:
"Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die."

Latest posts

Members online