loose wheel bearings

Irishcream

Reaction score
Been hearing some squealing lately out of the front end of my truck. Jacked it up and found the wheel/axle bearings are loose. Or rather the hubs were loose. May even have been that way since I did the U-joints in the front axles. It's been a long time since I did that so I'm wondering if the bearings are gonna be shot? The wheels aren't sloppy loose just a bit too much free play in the bearings. I think I will pick up the bearings and races just in case they are toast and take em back if the bearings are still good.

Irishcream

Reaction score
Just looking for some prices on bearings. Is this a full hub replacement? I can't remember exactly what it looked like when I did the u-joints but how would the bearings be loose if they are in the hub? I thought I remembered packing the bearings. I'm so confused.

Biggreen96

Reaction score
no they are not a full hub replacement. Just bearing and races, you need to set the preload with the two outer spindle nuts.

Irishcream

Reaction score
do you know the nut size?
I got some new brake pads for the front so I'm gonna change em while I got the hub off. Since it's not a spindle what does the inside bearing sit on?

Tom S

Reaction score
STG8D44NUTS.JPG

You might find that style of nuts to be easier for getting bearings setup correctly.

Tom S

Reaction score
Yes but that is a tool worth having. I would be surprised if you had those but you might. The factory setup is two nuts with the slots in them.

Tom S

Reaction score
OK I have an instant concern that you have the auto hub nuts on there not the manual hub ones.

Tom S

Reaction score
It all depends on how loose they are and how the look. Just a wee bit of play and I would simply adjust them. Quite a bit of play and I would order up a fresh set.

Irishcream

Reaction score
the right side rolled pretty good and made no noise but the left was looser and squealed a bit. Didn't roll very good at all.

MossBack

Reaction score
IMO if its questionable change it. When they finally go for good its usually in the middle of nowhere and 3 am Sunday. Just saying better spend a little now then pay for a tow and bearings later.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Irishcream

Reaction score
I agree, that's why I'm gonna get the bearings and races before I tackle the job. My buddy lets me run an account at his parts store so I can return em if everything is good.I wish it was an oil bath seal and bearing. Then I know there isn't any dirt sitting on the bearings.

Latest posts

Members online