loose wheel bearings

Irishcream

Reaction score
Well, I tightened up the bearings on both wheels and it has gotten rid of the squeal. not to say that it's solved the issue. The bearings and races on the passenger side are like new so I'm not gonna mess with em. I snugged up the TWO bearing nuts with the first taking away the free play and the second locking it in place. The drivers side was the side with issues. The outside bearing and race are good but the inside was pretty tight and squeaky. I think what had happened was that the bearing didn't seat properly on the spindle. I didn't have time to take the hub off because the wifey had to go to work and I gotta be a parent to the little ones. I put the outside bearing back in and tightened it all down and I guess it seated on the spindle like it should have and it seems to have gotten rid of the binding. It has loosened the bearing and the wheel turns without any drag. I am still gonna take the hub off and inspect it tomorrow at the shop on my lunch break. I got the new bearing and race in the truck anyways so if it's shot at least I got the parts. I'm happy there was no damage done to the other bearings. Should ride a wee bit better now that it's all snugged up.
A side note: The bearing nut tool for my truck was a real pain to find. For some reason I needed the tool for the larger nut not the socket listed for my year and model.

Latest posts

Members online