lost oil...

strokinKR

Reaction score
I changed my oil today after a little over 10k miles and I noticed that it was lower than normal. When it was put in it went to the max line on the dipstick and when I checked it today it was halfway down the cross marks. I was told that's about 2 quarts.

It was amsoil 5/40.

Any clue where it would've went? Has 167k miles. No smoke out exhaust and no leaks.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Did you fill it to the max mark before you started it? It has to fill the oil filter housing after you change the filter.

strokinKR

Reaction score
Not sure if you understood me. Guess I wasn't clear. I lost oil during the past 10k miles. Nothing to do with my new oil as of today. It was at the max line back in august and today I checked before I drained and it was half way in the cross marks.

BBottoms

Reaction score
He's asking if u checked your oil at the last change before or after you started the truck. You can fill the crankcase and get a reading on the stick but once you start it up and pump oil into the filter housing and various other places the level will go down.

BBottoms

Reaction score
These engines show a pretty good difference on the dip stick just by being off level a little bit. Were you sitting perfectly level both times you checked? When I first got my truck I thought I was gaining oil (fuel dilution) bc I wasnt sitting on level ground.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
He's asking if u checked your oil at the last change before or after you started the truck. You can fill the crankcase and get a reading on the stick but once you start it up and pump oil into the filter housing and various other places the level will go down.

That is what I was asking. But I did misunderstand him and he didn't make it clear in his original post. I now understand what he was saying. He lost 2 quarts over 10k miles before he changed the oil.

2 quarts over that amount of mileage wouldn't concern me that much. It's normal for an engine to lose/burn a little bit of oil.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Last time I changed my oil, 13 quarts came out, and I put 15 in. That was over about 5-6k and removing filter first then draining crank. No smoking either.

I was told by a ford mechanic to change oil every 5k, but then I read people changing every 10k... Not sure if I should wait 10k or 5k?

Fwiw I use shellrotela 15w40 and motorcraft filters.

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Stock Truck - 3000 Miles
Deleted Truck - No more than 5000 Miles, dont care what oil.
If you decide to follow the advertisements and go 10,000 miles at least check it.
You are saying you went 9000 miles without checking it?

BBottoms

Reaction score
I run Rotella T6 synthetic and change at 10k. I do send off an oil sample at somewhere between 5-10k and make sure nothing funny is happening inside the motor.

strokinKR

Reaction score
Yeah ill never do that again. I was told amsoil was put in but after 10k when I changed it it felt like ut was about as slick as water. Kinda pissed.

Cknox121

Reaction score
I run Rotella T6 synthetic and change at 10k. I do send off an oil sample at somewhere between 5-10k and make sure nothing funny is happening inside the motor.

How do the samples come back?

On my brothers dmax he goes 10k on oil 5k on fuel. I was told to go opposite on the ford.

Last change was at like 7k iirc.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Stock Truck - 3000 Miles
Deleted Truck - No more than 5000 Miles, dont care what oil.
If you decide to follow the advertisements and go 10,000 miles at least check it.
You are saying you went 9000 miles without checking it?

I check my oil and coolant at least once a week. Make sure everything is still full and in check

907DAVE

Reaction score
An engine MUST consume oil to continue to run, it would destroy itself if it doesn't.

1 quart after 3k is totally normal. 2 quarts after 10k is doing very well, however waiting that long to change your oil is ignorant.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.