lost oil...

strokinKR

Reaction score
An engine MUST consume oil to continue to run, it would destroy itself if it doesn't.

1 quart after 3k is totally normal. 2 quarts after 10k is doing very well, however waiting that long to change your oil is ignorant.

Why is waiting 10k to change ignorant? I paid $40 a gallon for good oil not to change at 5k.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Yeah ill never do that again. I was told amsoil was put in but after 10k when I changed it it felt like ut was about as slick as water. Kinda pissed.

How is 40 dollar a gallon oil saving you money?
4 Gallons bought - 160 for 10,000 miles, Amsoil. Just look at the sites that all the research on Amsoil is done, they are Amsoil sponsored sites. If I was going to run a Synthetic, which I do in my bike and my fun car, is 5/40 Rotella. If you have an Amsoil salesman, which most of them are pushy and think Amsoil is gold, ask them what changed in mid 07-early 08 when people started blowing engines in diesels trying to go with the extended intervals that Amsoil promotes. They came out with an OE line and said not to run extended intervals in the new diesels. But everyone I have talked with will not admit it.
I spend around 17-18 for Delo 15/40 and you can go 5000 on it. So you are not saving anything. Plus you can buy it local. If you are going that length without testing the oil then yes it is ignorant, just like 9000 miles without checking it.
Everyone has an opinion on this but I would never go 10,000 in anything just because of marketing making me think I am saving money. I think extended intervals are not worth it. For all the things being sold to extend intervals the time frame the oil would be in most vehicles would be time to change anyway so it money lost not gained.

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what oil you use. 6.4's have a lot of blowby and contaminate oil really fast compared to other engines.

The only people that I would ever consider extended intervals on would be haulers that run interstate and put over 1k miles a week on their truck.

strokinKR

Reaction score
You're completely right. I will never be doing that again. I was sold into by the shop who did my head studs. I've always run T6 and now will continue. That oil is being sent out to the lab as well. And really I don't see a reason to check my oil. It doesn't leak and I've never been low so what's the point. Im probably sounding ignorant but that's ok. I've got 167k miles on it so I must be doing something right. Either way I do appreciate everyone who offered advice and input.

BBottoms

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to send in an oil analysis on Rotella T6 with ~7700 miles on it. As soon as I get the results I'll post them up.

BBottoms

Reaction score
UOA as promised. Just came back yesterday. Had 7900 when I sampled and they said it's good for at least 2-3k more. Good thing since I'm getting ready to knock on 10k.

From here on out I'll probably sample w/o a TBN at each 10k oil change just to keep track of wear. Between this and other reports that I've seen I'm confident in the T6 oil + Motorcraft Filter to last 10k miles without issue.

Attachments

• OilAnalysis.jpg
    OilAnalysis.jpg
    840.3 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.