Multiple mods questions

2000wa250

Reaction score
Here's the thing...the edge module is junk as well. It does what you want, increases throttle response, but it does so by sending a false signal to the pcm so the pcm calls for more icp. Thing is, there are numerous tables that use icp to calculate where on the map they are. 2 of these are pw and timing. Personally I'd rather have a ts chip with custom tunes that change the actual maps and allow everything to work together, vs just feeding a fake or false signal to the pcm.

Hard to really explain withput getting super technical about how the different maps and tables work together, but basically if you feed a false signal to the pcm your pcm may run a different timing because it thinks its getting different icp than it really is. If the pcm has you at a certain point in timing because it thinks you are injecting with less pressure than you really are, you are in fact injecting in advance of where the pcm believes you to be due to the higher real icp vs what the pcm sees. I'm sure you can see that this could be very detrimental vs letting the pcm see real icp and allow everything to work together. Trust me, the edge module or resistor does what you want, just in a very unrefined way.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

TyCorr

Reaction score
Wheres that friggin padlock? I put it right.next to those resistors. Jeez...

Bigbondo007

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with a little crazy every now and then. If there were no such thing as crazy then people wouldn't have anything to base their sanity on. Kinda like morality, everyone has morals, but if we were all moral we could all walk around naked.

Remember.... No matter where you go..... There you are!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

DocBar

Reaction score
Relax everybody. Just throw a handful of sand against a brick wall and his truck will kill itself.
Just a little Army humor for the jarheads here. I doubt y'all get it, though. LOL

Bigbondo007

Reaction score
M muscles
A are
R required
I intelligence
N never
E expected

Bigbondo007

Reaction score
Hopefully we won't have to hit the beach again any time soon

DocBar

Reaction score
Hopefully we won't have to hit the beach again any time soon

If we do have to hit the beach, I hope it's not in your "modded" truck and is in mine. LOL

I have a great area reserved for a Ma Deuce or 20mm if we do need to use my truck.

Arisley

Reaction score
What drawbacks do you see as far as having a 15k resistor in the icp vs an edge icp module. What does the edge module do that I'm not. All it has is a flip switch

OK, good question.

The resister mods simply lie to the PCM. End result is bad things. Not now, but down the road.

You need a real chip, one you install in the PCM, you can get them with anywhere from a single tune, all the way to 16 tunes. These tunes do not lie to the PCM, they replace the programming on the PCM. These tunes are written by guys with a lot of years writing tunes for a 7.3.

My truck is an early 99. It is a long way from stock. I have Custom Tunes written on it from Tony Wildman. Without the tunes the truck will run, but it does not like it.

Never gonna live this **** down am I? Lol

Another good question. That is totally up to you. Kinda looks like you are on the way to changing it already. Just take a step back a bit and calm down, at least until we get to know you a bit. And you us.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
In my line of work we have what is called home owner specials. I'm talking the roughneck, equipment operator, or welder who decides they can tile their shower . Did they do it ? Yes. Did it work ? Yes. But because it wasn't done right it leaks and molds then we get called in to replace everything down to the floor joists and studs . Long story short, get it professionally done the first time ( ts chip) and be done and don't worry

sent while looking at a hole in my block

bruce

Reaction score
I'm a veteran, I'm ase master certified, I'm an engineer. If you can make more than me in 3 days you're the highest paid technician I've ever seen. Technicians are the link between me and mechanics. Oh and my truck would rape yours.

machinestheman

Reaction score
hey bro check it out these guys are probably giving you a hard time because they have been in your shoes at one point aswell a few years a go i bought my first 7.3 and i found the fabled powerstrokehelp site too man did it brief well i also read all about the resistor mods on you tube and all the rest of the cheeze heads on the internet. somewhere thankfully before i even touched my truck with any of that knowledge i found sites like this the .org and the nation (sorry for advertizing other sites lol) i guarantee if you take your first post to any of these other respected sites you will end up with the same argument. i now own my second 7.3 and cant wait to redeploy and work on them both and i am turning to php for the hydra.

theirs alot of information to be gathered on these sites but you trully need to be able to let go of what has filled you head before and objectively weigh both sides of the spectrum a 6 pos chip is stupid cheap especially now with the hydra out their all over the forums being sold and you can probably find one with tunes already on it for a slightly modded truck and plug and play

bottom line is bro were not on here replying to make you feel insecure or whatever it might not have come out the best but the only reason we click reply to help the guy out good luck and remember post pics we all love pics welcome

Arisley

Reaction score
hey bro check it out these guys are probably giving you a hard time because they have been in your shoes at one point aswell a few years a go i bought my first 7.3 and i found the fabled powerstrokehelp site too man did it brief well i also read all about the resistor mods on you tube and all the rest of the cheeze heads on the internet. somewhere thankfully before i even touched my truck with any of that knowledge i found sites like this the .org and the nation (sorry for advertizing other sites lol) i guarantee if you take your first post to any of these other respected sites you will end up with the same argument. i now own my second 7.3 and cant wait to redeploy and work on them both and i am turning to php for the hydra.

theirs alot of information to be gathered on these sites but you trully need to be able to let go of what has filled you head before and objectively weigh both sides of the spectrum a 6 pos chip is stupid cheap especially now with the hydra out their all over the forums being sold and you can probably find one with tunes already on it for a slightly modded truck and plug and play

bottom line is bro were not on here replying to make you feel insecure or whatever it might not have come out the best but the only reason we click reply to help the guy out good luck and remember post pics we all love pics welcome

Nicely said. Well good stuff in there. Kinda hard to read a sentence that long, especially with no punctuation.

Just bustin' your chops a bit. Good answer for the OP though.

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
RESEARCH. that is the most important thing to do regardless wether you are tuning a diesel, bike or boat.(mistakes on planes, well those people usually have trouble reporting back to forums).
There is much more knowledge on these sites than you could ever look up or read.
First hand knowledge of which trial and error as well as success are what these forums do for us. Much more than speaking to your mechanic. We have hundreds of them here.
I for one make sure I understand what each modification, programming or component replacement will do for EVERYTHING I operate. Drives my wife nuts but I have never been one to accept things, I want to know why. You must know what the vehicle was designed for and how it operates NEW compared to the IMPROVEMENT or replacement component's design and theory for improvement.
Programming is taking all of the inputs from various sensors and making the PCM use this info to obtain the best possible performance. It is so complex to tie this all together to obtain a properly operating engine then tie the trans, temps, load, idle, wot, ......., it goes on and on.
The guys that tune must understand all of this. Adding a resistor can have catastrophic results. Adding a resistor may be beneficial depending on what component/system you are adding it to however one adjustment here may affect several over there. If you want diy, You Must Research.
Remember, the PCM is only as smart as the information it receives.It then calculates and sends out the "correct" programming, reads the sensors then "corrects" again, constantly. Change a sensor(resistor) and performance COULD BE, enhanced. COULD BE. Don't understand EVERYTHING that the one little resistor changed and it COULD BE a really bad OH *HIT.

Bigbondo007

Reaction score
Thanks guys, gives me some new insight. I had a 97 obs with a ts and propane, 9 inches of lift and 38's and 4.56's a few years ago when I was a single man. I just wanted to feel the power again without taking food off of my kids plates lol.

Bigbondo007

Reaction score
The one programming option I've been thinking about getting is the Sniper : Special Forces Tuning Kit that allows you to program 2 different vehicles. It's an interface setup you can use with a laptop and create a custom tune or use a preprogrammed tune on the programmer as well. Any of you guys heard about it?

2000wa250

Reaction score
If you want to self tune go with minotaur from bill at php. I advise highly against self tuning though until you have more experience with the motor.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.