My truck was stolen last night

Extended Power

Reaction score
I'm really sorry to hear about this, and I wish you the best of luck getting it all straightened out. Something really does seem fishy though.

Any idea how the thieves originally got in? From what I've been told our locks are really easy to pop and that seems like the way most get stolen.

Takes less than 20 seconds, and they can be in, started, and driving it away...

20 seconds for a new thief...Cop showed me how it was done, and I just shook my head in disgust.

K_Hood

Reaction score
Man I'm sorry to hear about your luck. That sucks bro.

The story is wild though. It almost makes me think that someone broke into it, took it for a joy ride and then just dumped it. Maybe they thought heat was around so they took off. Maybe a recovery truck came up, picked it up and took it to their shop, stripped it down and then loaded it back up to dump it somewhere and just it let fall off the back of their tow truck into the ditch.

I know it's a lot of crazy thoughts, but like you've said...getting a truck into a ditch with no tires and wheels isn't happening unless it's being dumped or carried into the ditch. I hope you get the story straight from whoever can give it to you. Maybe it'll lead to criminal charges, lawsuits...etc and get you a somewhat sense of relief. Good luck bud!

andy3728

Reaction score

Wow man! That is like an XLT twin to my Lariat! It is scary how similar the two are! Same year, mine has 209k miles, that one has 220k miles. Good news is that my insurance will repair mine. My insurance previously had a $1000 limit on aftermarket parts. However, they recently increased that amount to $3000 for aftermarket parts so we were able to repair it. Also there is evidence that the towing company did most of the suspension damages which was about equal to what the thieves did so the adjuster wrote a separate claim for the damage the towing company did and will go after them once I get them the police reports. It is a PITA to get those records though so I am going to drive to Atlanta to get them on Friday if weather permits. I really appreciate you posting that truck! Because if mine had not fixed, I would be all over it! I would love to buy it for a spare! lol

andy3728

Reaction score
After thinking about the situation for a few days, I think it was broken into by the 3rd brake light. 2 screws to remove it and a big hole to reach through to pop the sliding back glass. It would have taken them 2 hours to drive to south Atlanta and less than an hour to remove the wheels/tires/batteries/stereo. They could have dumped it before the sun came up. I believe it was found before I filed the stolen vehicle police report. This explains why an abandoned vehicle report was done by the PD that found it. The officer I spoke with at the towing company told me the license plate was not reported stolen when they found it which leads me to believe it was found before I reported it stolen. I will find out for sure when I get the abandoned police report.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
After thinking about the situation for a few days, I think it was broken into by the 3rd brake light. 2 screws to remove it and a big hole to reach through to pop the sliding back glass. It would have taken them 2 hours to drive to south Atlanta and less than an hour to remove the wheels/tires/batteries/stereo. They could have dumped it before the sun came up. I believe it was found before I filed the stolen vehicle police report. This explains why an abandoned vehicle report was done by the PD that found it. The officer I spoke with at the towing company told me the license plate was not reported stolen when they found it which leads me to believe it was found before I reported it stolen. I will find out for sure when I get the abandoned police report.

Sorry to hear about your luck! About how they broke in, I don't think that would work, however I have a unlock kit behind the seat of my truck that can have me into just about any vehicle in under a minute without a trace so maybe that's what they used.

97stoker350

Reaction score
God this sucks! If I ever had my truck stolen the person responsible would be dismembered alive and left in a **** pit never to be heard from again. Man woman child idc there is no reason for taking someone's means to make a living and provide for family.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
God this sucks! If I ever had my truck stolen the person responsible would be dismembered alive and left in a **** pit never to be heard from again. Man woman child idc there is no reason for taking someone's means to make a living and provide for family.

I think someone is a little overly excited....

K_Hood

Reaction score
Sorry I just have no patience for this kind of thing. Would you guys not be upset?

I have no doubt everyone would be upset, but what I think they're getting at is in the end it is still just a truck (ultimately nothing more than a material item that can be replaced) and I don't think anyone with a rational line of thought thinks it's worth murdering someone and going to prison over. :thumbup:

smcox1

Reaction score
I have no doubt everyone would be upset, but what I think they're getting at is in the end it is still just a truck (ultimately nothing more than a material item that can be replaced) and I don't think anyone with a rational line of thought thinks it's worth murdering someone and going to prison over. :thumbup:

Hmmmmmmm......

andy3728

Reaction score
So what was the outcome of this? Have you gotten everything taken car of?

Yea the insurance company and I settled short of total loss to prevent a salvage title situation. It was enough to repair most of the damages since my dad and brother own an automotive repair shop and can help me out on the labor. I got most of the parts. Waiting on wheels and tires which should be in tomorrow or Wednesday. Hope to have it back rolling this weekend.

Also, the police report shows enough evidence to prove that the towing company damaged the suspension, bumpers and fender recovering it from the ditch where it was dumped. The towing company is being very difficult to work with and will not give up their insurance information which was pretty much as good as admitting fault. My insurance company is taking care of this and it does not affect me at all. I have a policy with Mercury Insurance based in Tampa, Fl. It has been a good experience with them for the most part.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Ever find out what happened to it between the original traffic stop where it was originally found and the ditch on the side of the road?

andy3728

Reaction score
Ever find out what happened to it between the original traffic stop where it was originally found and the ditch on the side of the road?

I don't know why the detective told me it was found in a traffic stop. I finally got the police report where it was discovered.

I reported it stolen at 8:30am and it was found at 12:00pm (noon) the same day. A property owner discovered it on his land and called the police about a suspicious vehicle.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I don't know why the detective told me it was found in a traffic stop. I finally got the police report where it was discovered.

I reported it stolen at 8:30am and it was found at 12:00pm (noon) the same day. A property owner discovered it on his land and called the police about a suspicious vehicle.

The property owner found it just the way it say on the side of the road like that? I'm just curious. Not meaning to be overly nosy about it. If my truck was ever stolen they better not let it be found. Will I be pissed yes anyone would be. But at that point I would rather have the money to put towards a better truck than have to fix the old one again. Obviously you have a lot more into yours than I do but all my mods are under the insurance policy so it's covered for me. Glad to hear it's going back together though.

andy3728

Reaction score
The property owner found it just the way it say on the side of the road like that? I'm just curious. Not meaning to be overly nosy about it. If my truck was ever stolen they better not let it be found. Will I be pissed yes anyone would be. But at that point I would rather have the money to put towards a better truck than have to fix the old one again. Obviously you have a lot more into yours than I do but all my mods are under the insurance policy so it's covered for me. Glad to hear it's going back together though.

I have limited information as the police report was not overly detailed. It looks like the property owner found the truck in the ditch or next to the ditch by the road, sitting on the brake rotors/axles.

For me in this situation it is cheaper to fix this truck than find a new one to fix up. For the amount that a total loss is worth would barely buy another truck similar but I would have to start over with mods. Hard to find one as clean as mine. The first thing I did after buying it new with 73 miles on it was drive it to Walmart to purchase some floor mats to keep the carpet clean until the Husky liners arrived. The second thing I did was wash and wax it. To me the truck still feels new.

If I had to start over, the only way I would be satisfied would be to buy a new truck but I can't afford a new truck again. I was living at home with my parents when I bought that one 12 years ago. Different situation now.

Latest posts

Members online