Need some input on long bed toppers, preferably first hand experience

Hoosierdaddy

Reaction score
I'm having a real hard time finding a topper. I know what I want but can't seem to find it looking at pics. I have a 14 ruby red platinum dually and I want a super clean look from a topper. Frameless windows, and no hardware on the back glass. My issue is all the long bed photos I see are from roughly head level and a lot of the toppers such as the snugtop super sport look great with the exception that they appear to slope up towards the back end near the back window. If anything I would rather have it slope slightly down but prefer it to come straight back. I don't want any rise at the back. It's to hard to tell from pics, if it is what's happening or an optical illusion. What should I be looking for to fill my needs? Leer XL? A.R.E. Z series? Snugtop super sport? I need some first hand opinions. The Snugtop for short beds looks straight as can be but all the long bed photos it appears to slope up. I absolutely don't like any rise at the rear. I want a clean suv look, not a wedge shape. Thanks for the help guys. I need to get this ironed out so I can get it ordered in time for a summer trip. Unfortunately in my smallish city there aren't any around me to check out.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
I own a Snug Top Tonneau. I would lean Leer if I was yout assuming the look works. Also IMO nothing looks better than a no window topper on a dually!!!

Hoosierdaddy

Reaction score
The leer definitely looks nice, unfortunately I have no way to see any of these in person. I have to have windows or I'm sure my GSD will be trying to come through the cab window. Bathe plan is to keep all the hair in the bed. ;)

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Leer XQ for sure. Ran one on my 2006 loved the overall fit and look on the exterior. Since I bought my Leer used I will say you better inspect REALLY close. I wasn't impressed with the way somethings were assembled on the interior. If I had paid full price I would have gotten some money back or a second order.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I have the Leer XL on mine and it's a piece of junk.

Waves down the side.
Where it scoops over the top of the bed you can slip your thumb in - huge gap.
The rear window is called a 'slam lock' for a reason. You have to slam the sh1t out of it and then smack each latch spot to get it to latch. I can't even count the number of times I've been running down the highway only to realize the rear window was open.
Color isn't even close to a match.
Gas shocks didn't last a year
Front window rattles like hell
Dome light doesn't work

This is my 2nd Leer cap. First one was great, but that was 15yrs ago and it's still going strong. This one is junk - and it's the 2nd one. First one was so bad I returned it.

I will never buy another Leer cap and am in the market right this moment for my Fiance's new F150. It's going to be an ARE.

Rule12b

Reaction score
Mine was $2400 installed, with a fold down front window. Painted to match tuxedo black. Other places ranged higher, as much as $2900.

Hoosierdaddy

Reaction score
With the ruby red being a tri stage, I'm really concerned about paint matching as well. That sucks to here about the leer topper. As much as things cost, I expect it to fit like a glove and be flawless.

Snake

Reaction score
ARE Z-Series is exactly what you're looking for. I've had mine on since 2006.

Last edited:

rentstdi

Reaction score
Are z series here. I love it. It kind of looks like an excursion. I also love having power door locks that lock the rear window. Let me see if I have a good photo

null-1.jpg

Last edited:

Hoosierdaddy

Reaction score
Pics would be great. How long do they take when ordered? I suspect they don't have them already painted somewhere ready to go.

rentstdi

Reaction score
After my order it took close to a month. Are factory is in Ohio somwhere then it shipped to me in california. Truck shop installed it and I only had a small issue which the door latches. I made some spacers to get it to latch nice and smooth... I have OCD ... Another problem that my wife has is closing the rear door/window. She's too short lol

Hoosierdaddy

Reaction score
After my order it took close to a month. Are factory is in Ohio somwhere then it shipped to me in california. Truck shop installed it and I only had a small issue which the door latches. I made some spacers to get it to latch nice and smooth... I have OCD ... Another problem that my wife has is closing the rear door/window. She's too short lol

Tell her that's what the put a step in the tailgate for. Lol

jcain

Reaction score

Put a draw string on it and tell her to tuck it into the bed before she closes it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I have the Leer XL on mine and it's a piece of junk.

Waves down the side.
Where it scoops over the top of the bed you can slip your thumb in - huge gap.
The rear window is called a 'slam lock' for a reason. You have to slam the sh1t out of it and then smack each latch spot to get it to latch. I can't even count the number of times I've been running down the highway only to realize the rear window was open.
Color isn't even close to a match.
Gas shocks didn't last a year
Front window rattles like hell
Dome light doesn't work

This is my 2nd Leer cap. First one was great, but that was 15yrs ago and it's still going strong. This one is junk - and it's the 2nd one. First one was so bad I returned it.

I will never buy another Leer cap and am in the market right this moment for my Fiance's new F150. It's going to be an ARE.

You took the words right out of my mouth...

My buddy bought that leer over the are at the sellers behest and we went to pick his truck up and I said "truck is happy to see us, its waving".

The guy told him tough shti. He sold it two weeks later at a 2k $ loss. Got an are and its nice but its still a sore subject. His are isn't wavy.

Snake

Reaction score
IMAG0470-1.jpg

Don't mind the gap between the body and the bed / topper. The pic makes it look far worse than it actually is.

IMG_4186_zps5f2580ad.jpg

I wasn't lying when I said this has been on my truck since 2006. LOL

Datadump090707035_zps451d5393.jpg

Latest posts

Members online