New convertor still slips

fordman2121

Reaction score
Last week my torque converter started slipping so I pulled the trans sent it out for a overhaul and ordered a rcd converter. Got it all back in and it slipping but not near as bad. I tried reloading the tune, before the rebuild and after. Tried a different tune in the pcm and tcm....idp with livewire. So does this just leave a solenoid problem? They did say the clutches were burnt up pretty bad so it wasn't a waste and the rcd convertor pulls a lot better then the old one also.

6.4stroke

Is it around 15 mph under light throttle? I kno man does the same thing like a big rev slam

madman1234509

Reaction score
Well.... I'll give you guys my scenario. I bought an rcd converter at a great price from Jared. My stock converter showed 30-50 rpm of slip at wot with the 310 tune loaded. I installed my rcd converter and pump spring. I then had 250-300 rpm of slip at wot same 310 tune. Backed the tune down to 275 and it shows little to no slip now, although it still will with the 310. It even slips enough to notice a rise in rpm with no rise in speed. Truck had new fluid put in it with the converter, and there was clutch material in the pan, whether it was from a gear clutch or the stock converter. Jared suggested my overdrive clutches may be spent, and that's basically where I've been since.... about 10 months. Truck runs great in the 275 tune and doesn't skip a beat shifting. I'm just waiting on my build to start so the tranny can be rebuilt to see it it solves the problem. I may buy a pump if people seem to think there is a good chance that could be the cause. I in no way am trying to steer anyone away from rcd, Jared is always an amazing help and said if I rebuild my tranny and it doesn't solve the problem that they would take the converter back to dig into it and uphold the warranty

madman1234509

Reaction score
I don't know if you're talking to me or the op. After seeing a recent thread with similar symptoms I am going to test line pressure before taking it apart to help determine if I nerd a pump

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The thing is tho if you are seeing slip on the dd or whatever used to monitor with, its the converter thats slipping not OD clutches ect

TC slip is input speed vs engine rpm, if the od clutches were slipping or something you would get a code for ratio not matching, meaning that for that desired gear input shaft speed and output speed aren't correct.

I would def check line pressure and make sure the pump is doing what it should. that may have been the issue all along

madman1234509

Reaction score
It could be, the truck has 110k on it..... I'm curious as to how much more the upgraded pump springs that come with the converter demand on these pumps... maybe high mileage pumps just can't handle it. Any idea about what a pump costs, without having to look it up?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
its just like a hpfp, if the thing was maxed out before hand, the spring wont help, but its not like a trans pump has to handle alot of volume of oil...

On my 7.3 it was 300 bucks, i would imagine 300-500 if i had to guess

Frank_C

Reaction score
I started a thread about a similar problem with my PI converter a few weeks back. New pumps are $550-$700 from what I could find. Mine slips bad enough, that the tcm commands full unlock almost immediately. And my line pressure checked out fine.

I called PI and asked what the purpose of the spring was. They said it was to keep the pump from bleeding off pressure in the converter. There was a specific name for the valve, but I can't remember it at the moment. They also said the TransGo kit comes with a spring that raises the pressure limit before it bleeds off, but the spring that comes with the converter is stiffer, and should handle a bit more pressure.

Might've been called the converter pressure limit valve?

My truck is still out of commission from this issue. It slips on every tune other than Eric's tow tune, and I have IDP v3.01, and Gearhead's tunes.

fordman2121

Reaction score
Wow 2 pages already thanks guys. Not sure if the pump was overhauled during rebuild. I had a trusted trans shop do the rebuild and install the spring. It only slips under a heavy accel. With convertor locked. It dosnt slip near as bad in the lower horse tune but can tell that it does. I had 2 codes before the build a p0741 and p1744. They havent returned yet but have only put 20 miles on it and drove easy for the most part.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I started a thread about a similar problem with my PI converter a few weeks back. New pumps are $550-$700 from what I could find. Mine slips bad enough, that the tcm commands full unlock almost immediately. And my line pressure checked out fine.

I called PI and asked what the purpose of the spring was. They said it was to keep the pump from bleeding off pressure in the converter. There was a specific name for the valve, but I can't remember it at the moment. They also said the TransGo kit comes with a spring that raises the pressure limit before it bleeds off, but the spring that comes with the converter is stiffer, and should handle a bit more pressure.

My truck is still out of commission from this issue. It slips on every tune other than Eric's tow tune, and I have IDP v3.01, and Gearhead's tunes.

Frank did you end up figuring out what your problem is?

range91

Reaction score

The spring PI sends in probly converter regulator spring

range91

Reaction score
Transtar offers a premium pump that has the sonnax oversized pr valve and the tcc plunger in it. Both of these can wear out causing your issue.. I had a worn pr valve on a unit I built behind a v10 the pressure would bounce up and down from 100psi to 400 psi. Truck had low mileage but around 9,000 hours on the meter. It would be odd for 2 converters to be doing near same thing I would be looking in pump area and change tcc solenoid

Frank_C

Reaction score
Main line pressure stays stable at 250psi in mine when cruising with the converter locked and drops to 200psi under heavy throttle. I do have a TransGo kit(not HD2), which I believe is supposed to drop pressure below what a stock 5r would have. I do not believe any tapping in the valvebody was done.

Nope, still fighting this problem. It's a real PITA, and I will DEFINITELY let everyone know what the problem was when it gets fixed, if nobody else finds out first. Seems like more cases of this issue are starting to pop up, which makes me feel a little better than being the only one having it lol.

range91

Reaction score
Pressure specs are 75 at idle and 300-325 at max I do believe the transgo kit has a pr limit bleed that wont let it go over 320psi so that pressure spikes are eliminated. This is done on the end plug of pr valve. Might not be a bad idea to return to stock program and pressure test to compare maybe to much commanded Line pressure is bleeding off through they transgo relief valve assembly causing low pressure

Latest posts

Members online