New convertor still slips

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
do you just have just the snap ring kit from trans go? Like Morgan said, those pressure relief valves are no good.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I have the small 40 dollar kit that Rudys sells. What ever one it is, but it isn't installed yet. Just stock tranny with rcd converter and rcd pump spring for the converter. Is that transtar pump better than stock, or should I just buy a stock pump from ford

range91

Reaction score
I feel the premium transtar pump is better because it has the sonnax pr valve upgrade and tcc plunger upgrade both are common points of problems in these pumps. Not to say if u got one from ford it wouldn't be good I just prefer to take care of a known problem for good..

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
Ok thanks I'll keep that in mind. I've never really looked into it before and before. I'll search for it on the internet tonight. I didn't know these pumps had common problems. But it sounds like there is more than one person with the same thing going on, even with brand new converters.

range91

Reaction score
This particular problem I haven't seen any of personally but the pr valve bore wear is very common. It doesn't always cause problems that you know of but if u rebuild one and look at the wear on the inner most land of the valve it's a big leak and will cause problems in the future. We stand behind our units for 3yrs or 75k miles so we try to address all areas that are problematic. Hope this helps

range91

Reaction score
Transmissions.. been doing it for 10yrs and still learn new stuff everyday.. Transmissions are another world and are constantly evolving especially now with the 6 and 8 speed stuff coming out..

madman1234509

Reaction score
Come to think of it the trans guy that is doing my tranny when it comes out mentioned something about a bore in some valve on the 5r trannys wears out and makes pressure weak. This is probably exactly what he was talking about probably having to replace. This was like 8 months ago. I'll have to remind him and tell him about the info in this thread.

fordman2121

Reaction score
Just talked with the trans shop. They do fully tear down the trans including the pump and rebuild. The next thing he said to check is the tcc lock up command. I cant chexk mine untill friday as im out of town.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
I feel the premium transtar pump is better because it has the sonnax pr valve upgrade and tcc plunger upgrade both are common points of problems in these pumps. Not to say if u got one from ford it wouldn't be good I just prefer to take care of a known problem for good..

The drawback is this negates the ability to run the Transgo pressure relief.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Concerning all the converter issues on here. I would suggest putting in a new converter clutch solenoid. Probably won't fix a existing slippage issue but could stop a new converter from doing it if caught soon enough. We had a converter failure, put in a new converter and could still see minor slippage, 200 rpm. Replaced the solenoid and fixed it. Keep in mind this was within 10 miles of installing the new converter, so it was never hurt.

range91

Reaction score
The drawback is this negates the ability to run the Transgo pressure relief.

I will agree that you cant use the transgo relief but the reason transgo puts that there is do to unblance oil on pr valve caused by wear. pr valve has epc pressure on one side and pump pressure on the other and they play a balancing act but if there are leaks on the lands of the valve this will cause spikes and or low pressure do to erratic epc signal oil. hope that makes sense i see you are from elite so im sure you know your ****e..

range91

Reaction score
Concerning all the converter issues on here. I would suggest putting in a new converter clutch solenoid. Probably won't fix a existing slippage issue but could stop a new converter from doing it if caught soon enough. We had a converter failure, put in a new converter and could still see minor slippage, 200 rpm. Replaced the solenoid and fixed it. Keep in mind this was within 10 miles of installing the new converter, so it was never hurt.

fordman2121 stated that trans was rebuilt so assumed tcc solenoid would have been replaced especially since it had tcc issues previous. Im with you on trying a tcc solenoid first much easier than pullin trans.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
It may not be a huge concern for some. Sounds like a few have had problems with the pressure relief bleeding off too much pressure

I have never had a problem with the relief valve. I believe the valve you are referring to was in their later kit which I don't use.

The valve I am referring is in the standard kit and is a safety item, its designed to keep line pressure in check.

range91

Reaction score
The sonnax valve can wear also, just a thought. I use factory ford pumps typically.

Yes it can wear but not as fast as the factory one do to more surface area.. And it's the bore that wears not so much the valve itself.. At half the cost of a oem pump and my units are going 3/75 warranty plus I'll keep using the reman pumps with the sonnax valve. if I can save my customer money and still put a good product out I feel I'm doing the right thing. Not saying by any means are you doing wrong its to each there own type of thing.

Latest posts

Members online