New O-Rings problems (Looking for some ideas on what I may have done wrong...)

Flounder_Pounder

Reaction score
I finished up installing new orings in the wife 02 second time I've done them on a 7.3 (following Riff-Raff instructions pretty much to the letter)
After completed it won't build ICP pressure over about 1200 to 1300 psi with a duty cycle in the 20s, No power, engine RPM's top out at at about 1000 then it falls flat and smokes to holly hell above those numbers.

Right now it starts up as expected and idles fine and sounds good and pretty smooth no smoke, but above say 1000 RPMs (won't go any higher) and the say 1100~1300 psi on the oil pressure it becomes a mosquito killer with White unburned fuel smoke.
I've managed to drive it on probably 8 miles total (takes about a mile to get to 50 mph with some coaching…) Thinking it's maybe just air in the system but it really didn't see much improvement :)

I don't have a fuel pressure tester but I'm going to get one today to see what it is.

But any suggestion on what I might have done wrong or what's going on would be much appreciated!

Thanks Travis

PS
I spent two weekends doing the work when I had time and really took my time and torqued and double checked everything along that way :(

Last edited:

Flounder_Pounder

Reaction score
Thanks, I thought I did... I think I'm going to have to take valve covers off and look.
I did A LOT of searching on forums\web etc and not many or Any hits on similar experiences so I guess I must have missed something, but I'm pretty anal and double and triple check stuff since I don't want to miss something... but I'm thinking I might missed something :shrug:

Arisley

Reaction score
Did you make sure you got all of the old copper crush washers out when you removed the injectors?

Did you double check that the injectors harness was plugged in good, on both sided of the valve cover gasket.

Have you worked all the air out of the system. This step can take a while. Hard launches usually work the best for removing air from the HPO system.

Flounder_Pounder

Reaction score
Did you make sure you got all of the old copper crush washers out when you removed the injectors? Yes that all came out with the old ones and where on the news.

Did you double check that the injectors harness was plugged in good, on both sided of the valve cover gasket. Yes, I zip tied them on instead of a 50 cent mod (one was working itself loose when I took it apart)

Have you worked all the air out of the system. This step can take a while. Hard launches usually work the best for removing air from the HPO system. I tried, I had to get on a US highway and slowly get my self a couple of miles north to a FM road that has very little traffic and ran up and down it 6 times (it would take seriouly a half mile to get to 40 and other mile to get to 50) any faster a it would fall on it's face and start fogging the area...)

Commented above

BS Hauler

Reaction score
Is it fuel smoke or oil smoke. I wonder if you cut an o-ring and your getting compression gas into the fuel system. Or getting engine oil into the fuel system or visa a virsa. Could be losing your hpop pressure back into the fuel system.

Flounder_Pounder

Reaction score
Is it fuel smoke or oil smoke. (Fuel, white smoke with foot in the throttle and some black with light throttle) I wonder if you cut an o-ring and your getting compression gas into the fuel system. Or getting engine oil into the fuel system or visa a virsa. Could be losing your hpop pressure back into the fuel system.(That might be something, after everything was together I tried to remove the fuel filer cap and it wouldn't budge, thought it's just stuck and I'd change it later...)

Thanks

Flounder_Pounder

Reaction score
Well I found out the problem... I was proceeding with removing the valve covers and found my screw-up... :fustrate: Scott Shop towel left in the turbo inlet... Here's a pic with the towel as I found it and what was left when I took it out... Amazingly most of the towel survived!

I had the towel in since it sat for a week between working on and I missed taking it out... Runs Great now... killed a few more mosquitoes on start up but about a mile later it was all gone :)

Thanks again for the help!

Attachments

• TurboTowel.jpg
    TurboTowel.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
  • Most_Stayed.jpg
    Most_Stayed.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84

rusty1161

Reaction score
Well I found out the problem... I was proceeding with removing the valve covers and found my screw-up... :fustrate: Scott Shop towel left in the turbo inlet... Here's a pic with the towel as I found it and what was left when I took it out... Amazingly most of the towel survived!

I had the towel in since it sat for a week between working on and I missed taking it out... Runs Great now... killed a few more mosquitoes on start up but about a mile later it was all gone :)

Thanks again for the help!

Happy you found it and it was simple! No harm, no foul! We've all been there!

Rusty

Flounder_Pounder

Reaction score
Yep and i always like to post the "solution". nothing pains me more then reading a post on an issue that you have just to find the answer never gets posted....

ju015dd

Reaction score
I almost did that with rags in under the plenum on driver side. Cleaned up everything very nice and installed plenums with brand new ford grey and let cure. Good thing I looked down into the plenum before I went any further. Sucked have to scrape all that goo back off and start again.. lol

Flounder_Pounder

Reaction score
I almost did that with rags in under the plenum on driver side. Cleaned up everything very nice and installed plenums with brand new ford grey and let cure. Good thing I looked down into the plenum before I went any further. Sucked have to scrape all that goo back off and start again.. lol

Yep it's painful to have to do stuff over that you just finished!

Reaction score
I wrote a tread awhile back about running a paper towel through my engine, I had the flu and was putting it back together in a rush at 3am (I learned my lesson). I left it In the cold side pipe and noticed after I started it it looked like it was snowing black lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
WOW! I wouldve never said ****. LOL, Good man!

One of the reasons why i dont stick shop rags in any ports. tape or nothing. and most of the time, its nothing.

Flounder_Pounder

Reaction score
I wrote a tread awhile back about running a paper towel through my engine, I had the flu and was putting it back together in a rush at 3am (I learned my lesson). I left it In the cold side pipe and noticed after I started it it looked like it was snowing black lol.

I'm pretty sure I killed a lot of flying bugs with all the white smoke I was making :cool:

Reaction score
I had a coworker drop a fuel filter housing bolt down the driver intake manifold on a 6.7 and ruin the engine, the one time I didn't use something to block the intake ports, with the upper manifold off I dropped the same bolt down the drivers intake, luckily mine got caught in built up soot and I was able to fish it out.

Latest posts

Members online