New up pipe donuts already leaking???

woodduck97

Reaction score
Installed a set of riff raff up pipe donuts. Drove the truck 3 times and had no leaks was pretty happy that they were fixed. Yesterday make a 5 hour trip towing now they are leaking worse then before and the bolts are tight enought to where they feel like they are going to break. What else is there to do? Is it because the material is not the same as stock and burned and now leaking?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Ditto... If the up pipes are all galled up, new doughnuts will not fix it.

Only other option is the brass one's from Beans...

co04cobra

Reaction score
Do bellowed pipes. No limit tuning and design is currently in finishing stages of a set for the obs trucks.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
This is right from Riffraff's site..

"These Fel-pro gaskets are only provided as a short term bandaid for your up-pipe leak. They are slightly thicker than stock and will help reseal your leaking up-pipes. We highly recommend using the actual fix which is the International Bellowed Up-pipe kit but sometimes finances don't allow that route. Please understand that these will leak again so use only if you don't have the means to actually fix the issue with the Bellowed style replacement."

I always find the new donuts are really a 50-50 deal. As others have said the bellowed uppipes are really the only way to go. More $$$ but it's a one and done deal..

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Irate also makes a one piece set of bellowed pipes with collector. Not listed on their website. $300 IIRC. Only other set I can think of that isnt special ordered custom made from a company is Internationals super expensive set of belloweds for the OBS.

woodduck97

Reaction score
Up pipes are actually in great condition. If they say that they are that ****ty then why even sell them? Less the 6 hours run time and there trashed? I didnt want to put 300 dollars into a bellowed stock up pipes when I planned on upgrading soon. Guess going to have some redneck waste gates till I get the new turbo kit. What a hit in the nuts for even trying to fix the small leak I had before.

SDstroker

Reaction score
I have put them in before with what appeared to by decent up pipes. The felpro's are hard and don't squish much, then started leaking again. I tell people to either go bellowed or switch mounts.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I am not a big fan of the Fel-pro 8194 gaskets. They do not crush very good at all.

A better alternative is the Victor Reinz F17250. They are a graphite like material that will crush nicely. I have been using them on my truck for about 10,000 miles and no leaks yet. Oh, and my up-pipes were galled pretty bad.

mattman347

Reaction score
Maybe its just me but your leak might be due to your crazy drive pressures from the injectors you are running on a stock turbo. :poke:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
LOL... Didnt think of that, but thats alot.

I dont think its an issue with them being ****ty, its what 90% of the guys out there use to replace them with. Same stuff I did my wifes up pipes with a year or so ago and no leaks...

Arisley

Reaction score
I am not a big fan of the Fel-pro 8194 gaskets. They do not crush very good at all.

A better alternative is the Victor Reinz F17250. They are a graphite like material that will crush nicely. I have been using them on my truck for about 10,000 miles and no leaks yet. Oh, and my up-pipes were galled pretty bad.

I also clean the up pipes with steel wool. Then take them and the donuts to a muffler shop. Have them swedge the end of the up pipes until the donuts are a snuf fit, still movable but snug. Then I use a lot of antisieze on install. Never any issues.

woodduck97

Reaction score
Maybe its just me but your leak might be due to your crazy drive pressures from the injectors you are running on a stock turbo. :poke:

haha stock donuts lasted over 15k or more and they had 197k on them with my rediculous drive presurre. My buddy just did them on his dually with stage ones. I told him what happened to me and he wasnt happy.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I also clean the up pipes with steel wool. Then take them and the donuts to a muffler shop. Have them swedge the end of the up pipes until the donuts are a snuf fit, still movable but snug. Then I use a lot of antisieze on install. Never any issues.

Yeah, I'm sure they would work better if the muffler shop fixes them up. I just found it easier with the graphite material ones.

Arisley

Reaction score
I also use the graphite donuts. Same ones you referenced. They are much easier to compress. They also allow the pipe to slide better with heat cycles.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I also use the graphite donuts. Same ones you referenced. They are much easier to compress. They also allow the pipe to slide better with heat cycles.

I agree. I only had the 8194's on for a day before I saw soot and switched to the F17250's. I have been very happy with them.

These are the right ones? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-5yc1s?itemIdentifier=145990

I've got 4 Fel-pro's(don't ask why, i just do LOL), but i'm gonna be doing my up-pipes soon and wanna make sure they seal good with my 2's.

Yes, those are the right ones.

Arisley

Reaction score
You are being ripped off if you are paying six bucks for them, I can get them for less than 4 bucks.

Course we can all probably say we waste a couple bucks a day.

Latest posts

Members online